A Second Cat For Companion To Adult Cat?

Seryy'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I've had my rescue cat Seryy for about 9 months now. She is great, but some friend's cat just had kittens and my son thinks it would be fun to get one for Seryy who will be going on 2 years old according to the vet's guess.

I think it would be too much of a hassle to keep Seryy out of the baby's smaller/shallower litterbox and it's baby food, and think it would be much less trouble and cost of all those vaccinations to get an adult cat, so I am strongly leaning towards getting an adult instead.

What do you all think?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think pairing your cat with one her age or somewhat younger would work out great. At two yours is still pretty adaptable and generally more open to a newcomer than when she gets older. And I agree young kittens are a whole lot more work than an older cat.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would somewhat depend on the temperament of the new cat if you get a new adult cat, if super territorial or not- just from experience I've had.

If you do go with a kitten, when I adopted a 3 month old with my adult cat I fed them both kitten food for the dry food, no way to have one eat one type and the other another type because they ate that over time. My adult cat did gain some weight but not a lot. With the wet food I could have kitten and cat food since they both ate it in one sitting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seryy'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it would somewhat depend on the temperament of the new cat if you get a new adult cat, if super territorial or not- just from experience I've had.

If you do go with a kitten, when I adopted a 3 month old with my adult cat I fed them both kitten food for the dry food, no way to have one eat one type and the other another type because they ate that over time. My adult cat did gain some weight but not a lot. With the wet food I could have kitten and cat food since they both ate it in one sitting.
It would be a problem to feed Seryy the kitten's food because she had problems with hairballs until I put her on Iams ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food,and except for one when I first put her on it,she has never had another hairball! I also give her 1/2 can of Friskies in the morning.

Roll over image to zoom in

video

PrevNext

Iams ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food

video

PrevNext

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Seryy playful and active? If yes, it can work out great with the kitten. Just make sure the kitten is with his mom and siblings long enough to minimize any behavior problems, pick it up at 14 weeks or later.
If Seryy is calm and lazish, kitten May be a bad idea, as kitten would annoy her and he’d be super bored without the playmate, so the adult cat of similar character would work way better.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be a problem to feed Seryy the kitten's food because she had problems with hairballs until I put her on Iams ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food,and except for one when I first put her on it,she has never had another hairball! I also give her 1/2 can of Friskies in the morning.

video

PrevNext

video

PrevNext

Ah. I see. That is a complication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seryy'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Seryy playful and active? If yes, it can work out great with the kitten. Just make sure the kitten is with his mom and siblings long enough to minimize any behavior problems, pick it up at 14 weeks or later.
If Seryy is calm and lazish, kitten May be a bad idea, as kitten would annoy her and he’d be super bored without the playmate, so the adult cat of similar character would work way better.
I totally agree! :D