A scoop for horse pellet litter?

Dan H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would agree. However it was I that first said phenols were toxic to more than cats. And since some on here are probably seniors like myself, I would rather see someone on a fixed income feel safe using pine pellets and spending the saved money on better quality food, than to see them spend more on litter and feed Friskies, etc.
And it was I that said pelletized bedding is treated to remove phenols.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree. However it was I that first said phenols were toxic to more than cats. And since some on here are probably seniors like myself, I would rather see someone on a fixed income feel safe using pine pellets and spending the saved money on better quality food, than to see them spend more on litter and feed Friskies, etc.
I can certainly understand where you're coming from- I'm in the same position as you and it ain't easy,thats for sure( especially with 5 cats 🤭)

I'd love to feed what I used to feed when I had just 2cats but I've had to adjust my own food shopping preferences since a fixed income so we do what we can do-right? I'm not going to scrimp of vaccinations,Vet care and parasite control so good food( not the best)& a decent litter( clumping) seems like a good choice for my own budget.... so I do get it

I use Cats Pride Max( blue jug)- there's much controversy regarding charcoal as well- my beloved Cheech( rip,19yrs) never had an issue with it so I'll stick with it

Dan H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can certainly understand where you're coming from- I'm in the same position as you and it ain't easy,thats for sure( especially with 5 cats 🤭)

I'd love to feed what I used to feed when I had just 2cats but I've had to adjust my own food shopping preferences since a fixed income so we do what we can do-right? I'm not going to scrimp of vaccinations,Vet care and parasite control so good food( not the best)& a decent litter( clumping) seems like a good choice for my own budget.... so I do get it

I use Cats Pride Max( blue jug)- there's much controversy regarding charcoal as well- my beloved Cheech( rip,19yrs) never had an issue with it so I'll stick with it
I'm 66-1/2 but still work, so I have the luxury of spending on cat litter and food for now if I want . However as I near retirement, I think about ways to reduce spending, and if there's one thing I would like to spend as little as possible on, it's litter. That's why when I saw others were buying 40 pound bags of pelletized bedding at Tractor Supply for around $6 to $7, I decided to try it. As pointed out elsewhere here, phenols are toxic to all, so obviously phenols would have to have been removed from pellets labeled as animal bedding.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 66-1/2 but still work, so I have the luxury of spending on cat litter and food for now if I want . However as I near retirement, I think about ways to reduce spending, and if there's one thing I would like to spend as little as possible on, it's litter. That's why when I saw others were buying 40 pound bags of pelletized bedding at Tractor Supply for around $6 to $7, I decided to try it. As pointed out elsewhere here, phenols are toxic to all, so obviously phenols would have to have been removed from pellets labeled as animal bedding.
I would certainly hope so!I'm okay with $10 bucks for 20lbs Dan--- I really have to use a clumping litter just because I have to do what is easiest,being crippled with both shot knees that need replaced

Thsts great you are still able to earn- I'll tell you,it's the pits with nothing to supplement the minimum - thank God I've got some help here n there but seriously,as you know, cats are a big expense to care for properly so the small things like " litter" are one of few things you can save money on ....realistically

Do you have any photos you can show us your kitty cat?😄

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the bottom line is if you use pine pellets you need to make sure they are kiln dried and not treated with anything else. Unfortunately not ALL horse bedding is properly heat treated for use with cats (needs to be kiln dried which is a slow heating process, not rotary dried which is hotter but fast), so you do need to look at the bag, it should say "safe for use with small animals" on the bag as well as kiln dried. Also even though kiln dried removes most if the phenols, they can't guarantee they removed 100%, so weather you use an open or covered litter box can also make a difference. Open litter boxes would allow any tiny bit to disperse into the air where as a covered one keeps it trapped for longer which increases the risk of the cat inhaling it, similar risk to cats inhaling dust when using clay litter.

Dan H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would certainly hope so!I'm okay with $10 bucks for 20lbs Dan--- I really have to use a clumping litter just because I have to do what is easiest,being crippled with both shot knees that need replaced

Thsts great you are still able to earn- I'll tell you,it's the pits with nothing to supplement the minimum - thank God I've got some help here n there but seriously,as you know, cats are a big expense to care for properly so the small things like " litter" are one of few things you can save money on ....realistically

Do you have any photos you can show us your kitty cat?😄
I have 2 Ragdoll males, and I'm not sure how to post pictures here, but I'll look into it.
Yes, I'm still working at 66-1/2 and many would probably guess an office job, but no, I work construction in the HVAC trade. It keeps me active, and it keeps me strong. I plan on working until 70 if I can as I would like to get the maximum social security benefit for me.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I use pine pellets from Tractor Supply. I have a sifting litter box that I use to sift out the sawdust from the other boxes and a pair of kitchen tongs to take out the poop. It may be slightly slower but I dislike wasting litter. I have five kitties so I go through litter.

Dan H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I use pine pellets from Tractor Supply. I have a sifting litter box that I use to sift out the sawdust from the other boxes and a pair of kitchen tongs to take out the poop. It may be slightly slower but I dislike wasting litter. I have five kitties so I go through litter.
I ordered a couple of Brit Fit Maxi Sieve sifting boxes, not at all cheap with the shipping, and I'm not really in love with the sifting boxes. There's very little space under the sifting grate, and in fact, they say to clean the boxes twice a day. And it seems that sifting boxes generally advise you to use puppy pee pads in the bottom tray. Before these I was using medium concrete mixing tubs from Home Depot as very large litter boxes, less than $8 each, and for sifting I was using a 13-1/4" diameter stackable gold classifier prospecting pan with 1/4" mesh on top of a 5 gallon bucket with a 13 gallon compost bag inside of the bucket. I would scoop the pellets from the box into the prospecting pan with a dry food scoop, stir and shake until only pellets remain, and then toss the remaining pellets back into the litter box. I repeat the process until done. I don't need puppy pee pads as the urine can't escape the pellets by flowing into a base pan, so I save money there, and I don't have to worry that if I don't sift out the sawdust soon enough that it's going to fill up the base pan with sawdust, and then start accumulating on top of the sifting grate and clogging the sifter with wet sawdust. A simple pan just doesn't have these problems and doesn't need to be cleaned as often.