A reliable scale that can weigh 0.41 grams

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Disclaimer: I do not want to start making homemade food for my 19+ yo with CKD. I feed her commercial cat food but need to supplement it with non-chicken baby food meat to maintain a good daily caloric intake. I currently do so with EZ Complete, but I think she is tiring of the chicken liver flavor.

I found instructions for making baby food meat complete with Alnutrin on the Raw Feeding For IBD Cats web site using a calculated conversion to teaspoon measurements, but when consulting with their FB page, I was told that to 'properly' measure Alnutrin with eggshell calcium that I need a scale. The baby food meat is the equivalent of 1 ounce of meat per jar. I will only be preparing one jar at a time. I know I need to add liver, and am currently looking to do so with 100% pure beef freeze dried treats.

My inquiry probably doesn't fit exactly into this forum, but I have asked a semi-related question in the Nutrition forum and one very nice, helpful member was the only one that responded.

Thought I would ask here because maybe someone has something they use/have used that is applicable to my situation, and reliable. I was advised to use a digital spoon, but have read so many reviews that my head is spinning.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention in the response post below, that I wasn't clear in my last paragraph. I did an internet search on digital spoons and the reviews were enough to make me wonder why these spoons would be any more reliable than the teaspoon conversion calculation I had read about.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I didn't know there was such a thing as a digital spoon, but armed with that info and the very small amount you're working with, I think this is the tool you want.

Combine Amazon and search engine results/reviews, you'll find one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I wasn't clear - I did a search and read so many reviews I got lost in believing anyone of them could really be relable. I'll edit my original post to make that clearer.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to any hunting and fishing supply store and ask for a digital powder scale. (Field and Stream, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc.)

Hunters and shooters who reload their own ammunition need to have very accurate scales to measure with. One small mistake and somebody could have a bad day!

You should probably be able to buy one for less than $50.00. Don't let them talk you into anything more expensive than $50-$75 at maximum. Go ahead and tell them that you only want it to weigh out medicine for your cat. ;)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks to both of you! No offense Caspers Human Caspers Human but lisahe lisahe 's recommendation is a lot less expensive, and given it is going to be used to add supplements to 1 or 2 little jars of baby food daily, I'd probably be inclined to go cheaper!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you! No offense Caspers Human Caspers Human but lisahe lisahe 's recommendation is a lot less expensive, and given it is going to be used to add supplements to 1 or 2 little jars of baby food daily, I'd probably be inclined to go cheaper!
Those spoons look particularly handy and easy to use, though! I'd love to hear from anyone who might have used them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those spoons look particularly handy and easy to use, though! I'd love to hear from anyone who might have used them.
I would too!
Although if you read the reviews, they don't seem to come out as so handy. Issues with proper measurements if you don't hold or prop the spoons in a certain way was probably the most predominant comment. Others complained about the readout display being pretty small. Some showed a range of 1g (or 5g) to 500g, which means what I want to weigh couldn't be done on those. Other brands did not show a beginning range at all. And then some people said instructions were either non-existent or hard to follow because they've been translated from Chinese.

The one that the FB group suggested I buy doesn't even have a 2 digit decimal, and yet the Alnutrin is to be measured as 041g. So much for their insistence on accuracy..;).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that sounds like a technology that still needs a little work! I love the concept, though.

I love my little scale. It has one little tic: sometimes it takes a second or so for it to register a weight change after adding or removing Alnutrin (or liver) from the pan. The whole scale -- including the readout display -- is pretty small but it's worked very well for me.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depending on how big you want the scale, but if you can work with a small scale, you can get an espresso scale. If you have the money and can drop 200$ for a scale than go with any scale from Acaia or you can buy a knockoff from amazon under the brand MIICOFFEE for 50$
In general espresso scales are pretty accurate and some have automatic timers that start as soon as the liquid/food hits the scale.

NB: currency used is CAD.

Edit: Sorry I was wrong about the scales mentioned above. For some reason I thought acaia will do the job. Timemore scale is what you are looking for. It's 80CAD link

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Timemore scale is what you are looking for. It's 80CAD link
Thanks. Theoretically, I will not be using any scale for more than measuring Alnutrin and freeze-dried beef to meet the nutritional needs for a 2.5 oz jar of non-chicken baby food meat that is the equivalent of 1 oz of meat. And it will need to be done one jar at a time. The scale that lisahe lisahe recommended is a lot less cost-wise and appears to work.

I don't see ever moving to a raw diet for my cat, who is 19+ yo with multiple health issues, and sadly does not have years ahead of her. Just trying to aid in her daily caloric intake to help keep her from losing weight as much as I can.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Theoretically, I will not be using any scale for more than measuring Alnutrin and freeze-dried beef to meet the nutritional needs for a 2.5 oz jar of non-chicken baby food meat that is the equivalent of 1 oz of meat. And it will need to be done one jar at a time. The scale that lisahe lisahe recommended is a lot less cost-wise and appears to work.

I don't see ever moving to a raw diet for my cat, who is 19+ yo with multiple health issues, and sadly does not have years ahead of her. Just trying to aid in her daily caloric intake to help keep her from losing weight as much as I can.
There is a huge price difference ! LOL

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My scale is tiny -- it's perfect for weighing supplement and freeze-dried liver for making cat food.