A raw egg

catlover chick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just gave my cat and dog each a raw egg... My dog ate it in less than a min. My cat, Weston was asleep but then woke up, then i picked him up and showed him where it was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover chick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a nice Sunday Morning breakfast for the pets. Mine love scrambled eggs.
i gave my dog and cats scrambled eggs b4, the raw ones i gave them were the ones our chickens layed, they were outside too long(about a week) then the hens stopped sitting on them

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read that it is better to leave the white out and just feed the yolk (speaking of raw eggs here.)  I think the whites interfere with nutrient absorption or something (sorry I don't know the exact details but you could look it up....or maybe someone else here knows.)  Mine love raw egg yolks.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Raw egg white contains avidin, a glycoprotein that binds to biotin and prevents its absorption. Eating an excess of only raw egg whites will result in a biotin deficiency, but since cooking denatures the avidin, cooked egg whites are fine. It just so happens that raw egg yolks are very rich in biotin, so as long as the raw whites are consumed along with the raw yolks, there shouldn't be a problem. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just gave my cat and dog each a raw egg... My dog ate it in less than a min. My cat, Weston was asleep but then woke up, then i picked him up and showed him where it was.
So...did Weston eat it once you showed him where it was?  I'm surprised your dog didn't eat Westons, since he (the dog)  liked it so much!

catlover chick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So...did Weston eat it once you showed him where it was?  I'm surprised your dog didn't eat Westons, since he (the dog)  liked it so much!
Yes, he ate it after i showed it to him, and my dog coodnt eat Westons, cuz my dog is in a pen... and if they were together, my dog wood actually choose to eat the cat instead

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raw egg white contains avidin, a glycoprotein that binds to biotin and prevents its absorption. Eating an excess of only raw egg whites will result in a biotin deficiency, but since cooking denatures the avidin, cooked egg whites are fine. It just so happens that raw egg yolks are very rich in biotin, so as long as the raw Reallwhites are consumed along with the raw yolks, there shouldn't be a problem. 
Really, I didnt know about the yolk balancing out the white on this issue.

Im not cheap, I have no problem pouring the white down the drain, but if I could use it, it would add more fluid to the food, and that is helpful as I mix in lysine and possible other things.

Do you have a link, did one of the residents here say it, or is this your objective opinion?

Thanks really appreciate it.

Think I might stop and get some eggs tonight, no food at home, will make my own frankenpray dinner (eggs and spagetti?)

My two raw eaters are 5 months old, so I am trying to keep them full (plus they are eating probably 50% more than an adult per day)

Plus eggs are dirt cheap, if it is safe for them to have 1-2 yolks in their food a day, then it would be a economical way to bulk up the commercial raw (Radcat is damn near 9 a lb at my store, no shipping!)

Last edited:

cattree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very interesting to know.. I have given eggs to my dogs before but never the cats...

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cattree, I am being lazy here (should use the google) but other than tasty treat, any reason you give your dogs raw eggs?

Do you give them whole, crushed, or no shell.

There is a reason for raw feeding of cats, it escapes me, but consider that it is one of the ingredients in Alnutrin supplement for DIY raw feeders.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least egg yolk is an important component of raw food diets - likely for dogs too - but certainly for cats, as meat has no vitamin D. The D in egg is in the form of D3 and is in the yolk. This is also why it's important to provide sardines and/or salmon oil and/or krill oil (some type of fish oil). Cats (and I think dogs) do not synthesize D through their skin via sunlight as people and other animals do. The egg yolk is basically nutrient dense (also a lot of B vitamins, highly bioavailable), with a lot of omega 3 fatty acids. The white is primarily moisture and protein.

As to the avidin/biotin issue, here you go. Scroll UP for the discussion of Avidin and Biotin. http://books.google.com/books?id=hd...lxYDoDQ&ved=0CGcQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Although egg is a high quality food ingredient, the white of the egg (albumen) contains several inhibitory substances that alter the metabolism of specific nutrients. The two most important are avidin, an inhibitor of biotin absorption, and a compound that interferes with the action of the pancreatic protease, trypsin (trypsin inhibitor). The antitryptic activity of egg white is a characteristic that is much less well documented in current literature than avidin, yet one that has the potential for causing severe nutritional imbalances.
It's safe to feed whole raw eggs, but the yolk is the nutrient dense portion and can safely be fed without the whites, while the reverse is not the case. Cooking egg whites "deactivates" the avidin, thus egg whites, very low in phosphorus, make a good substitute for some meat for kitties with CRF/CKD.

Last edited:

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a link, did one of the residents here say it, or is this your objective opinion?
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/02/09/raw-eggs.aspx
My two raw eaters are 5 months old, so I am trying to keep them full (plus they are eating probably 50% more than an adult per day)

Plus eggs are dirt cheap, if it is safe for them to have 1-2 yolks in their food a day, then it would be a economical way to bulk up the commercial raw (Radcat is damn near 9 a lb at my store, no shipping!)
Careful that you don't throw the calcium/phosphorus ratio off with that much egg, since yolks are high in phosphorus. Might need to add in a measured amount of eggshell as well to compensate.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No clue if it's "safe" to feed that much egg, but if you want to bump the protein, it would BE best to feed the entire egg raw.

Careful that you don't throw the calcium/phosphorus ratio off with that much egg, since yolks are high in phosphorus. Might need to add in a measured amount of eggshell as well to compensate.
:yeah:

1 large egg yolk has 66mg of phosphorus and 17mg of calcium (the weight of the yolk is listed as 17g). http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/113

1 large egg (listed as 50g) has 99mg of phosphorus and 28mg of calcium. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/111

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually try to give Angel one raw egg yolk a week, (usually Sundays), as a treat. He loves it, licks it all up!  I've never given him more than that because I didn't know how much, how often was safe. (also try to buy hormone free).

I've tried to give him scrambled eggs, he's not interested.

catlover chick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cattree, I am being lazy here (should use the google) but other than tasty treat, any reason you give your dogs raw eggs?

Do you give them whole, crushed, or no shell.

There is a reason for raw feeding of cats, it escapes me, but consider that it is one of the ingredients in Alnutrin supplement for DIY raw feeders.
Raw eggs help the dogs coat look better
and i just give them the cracked egg(like when u crack an egg in a pan, but i crack it into his bowl) and i mix it up w/ his normal amount of food, its helps him from just eatin the egg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A warnings word about raw yolk:  In countries where salomonella in eggs is a problem, raw eggs arent safe. Cats arent as sensitive to salmonella as humans, so its prob no real danger for a healthy adult cat. But I wouldnt experiment it with a weakened or nursing cat.   And raw yolks are of best use for them as it is excellent nourishment!

OK, but there are tricks to lessen the risk. The salmonella bacteria are usually on the outside.

Make sure the eggs are whole, no fissures.

Pour  boiling water over them!  I presume we can have some soap in the first portion of boiling water, and then a little extra to wash the soap off...

Opening up the eggs, we are careful not to let the yolk touch the outside.

Train on a couple of eggs before you do it "for sharp".
 I have no problem pouring the white down the drain, but if I could use it,
You dont need to let it down the drain. You use it for something.  In baking, in soup.

Or even in coffee...(used with cooked coffe, it clears the small corns wonderfully. Also making the coffe milder.  Like milk does).

Or you simply boil the white, and eat yourself or let your cat eat it.

ncrxpto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No no no pls do not do that . Salmonella just like us you have to cook it and make sure it's egg white because the fact could be harmful cuz obesity and diabetes all kinds of bad stuff they're not human and they're little bodies can only take so much a cat one tablespoon of egg white just a supplement what they don't have in their diet for dogs they don't know much about dogs but please don't give him a ride because he can't get salmonella

I mean both pets can get salmonella poisoning if you give them a raw egg. Please don't give your dog raw eggs or your cats due to salmonella poisoning. A cat can have one tablespoon of cooked egg whites to supplement what they're lacking.COOKED Egg whites are safe for cats. One tablespoon they're not human they're little bodies cannot take much. one whole egg is eight eggs equivalent to human. I do a lot of reading on this matter because I want to make sure I'm not hurting my animal. If you Google it you will see that giving animals raw eggs can result in problems like salmonella poisoning. It's not safe to eat raw eggs. Not even for humans. Break them if they eat a raw egg it's safer to give them cooked egg whites cooked!!

Last edited by a moderator: