A question about showing`

princeegrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest entering her in TICA's household pet catagorie there website is TICA.org you could see more about it there

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm guessing you are not in America (using the term "moggies"). But I can tell you a bit about how American cat shows work. First the section you show mixed breeds (or unregistered purebreds) is called the "household pet" section (or HHP for short).

There are several different associations and each do it slightly different. All associations require HHP's to be spayed and neuter over 8 months old and most will not allow declawed cats.

In CFA they judge all HHP's together in one class whether they are short or long hair. In ACFA and TICA they judge shorthairs together, longhairs together, and the allbreed judges will judge both SH and LH.

In ACFA and TICA you can earn "titles" for your HHP depending on points/wins. These titles are the same status given to the purebreds - champion and grand champion. Also ACFA and TICA registers your HHP's - CFA doesn't.

It would be a good idea to have your friends/family handle your kitty a lot - stand her on a table, stretch her out, pretend they are judging her. Before you show her, she'll need a bath, clip all nails, clean ears, etc. The judges look for a heathy cat, well groomed, and then on personality.

Russian blues tend to be shy cats and she may not like showing, but you never know. Don't be embarrased if the judge needs your assistance. It won't count against you. They realize the most HHP's are only cats with little show experience and will take that in consideration.

Good luck with your kitty - hope she gets a fancy ribbon for you to be proud of.

BTW my first purebred was a Russian Blue. I bred them for awhile. Had a neutered male who really loved showing - he was a ham - but he was a love too - his name was Cassanova and he fit it!
Sounds about right to me.

You might want to check with an Australian Russian Blue breeder as well for more info on local cat assocations. She or he could also prove as a mentor should you decide to purchase and show one of their cats. That's what I did when I purchased Mik and showed him in all classes until he received his Premiership status... until he decided he had enough of the show cat life.