A Note About "low Phosphorous" Pre-mixes

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several people have posted that they are looking for a low phosphorus pre-mix to use in making home-made food for their kitties with kidney disease. I want to point out that the vast majority of pre-mixes on the market are low phosphorous.

The primary sources of phosphorous in our home-made foods are bone and meat with bone providing roughly 50% of the phosphorous and meat the other 50%. Those are very rough percentages but will serve for my purposes.

So, we can greatly reduce the phosphorus in our foods by just not using bone as our calcium source. I believe the only pre-mix on the market that uses bone is TCFeline. All the other pre-mixes use calcium carbonate (eggshell) or calcium lactate which have virtually no phosphorous. The low phosphorous version of TCFeline uses calcium carbonate.

So if you are already using a pre-mix, chances are it is low phosphorous.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just looked at Balance IT. Their regular feline formula uses tricalcium phosphate which contains phosphorous as well as calcium so they have a "kidney" formula that uses calcium carbonate instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both the regular Feline Instincts and their "kidney support" use calcium lactate. As far as I can tell the phosphorus content would be the same in both.