A New "Raw"some Beginning... (yup - another one LOL)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had some Primal Quail in the variety pack I bought, and NO ONE would touch it, so I'm hesitant to buy either the Quail OR Pheasant from HT.  I'll be curious, Laurie, if anyone in your household likes it.

Lauren, so glad your Radcat arrived, AND that the HT Pheasant was a hit this morning.:) :high5:
I packaged up the quail today, but didn't let anyone taste test it. No one seemed too excited about the pheasant, but I didn't offer it to anyone as a meal. I also packaged up the llama, and did let everyone taste test it. Everyone ate the little sample of llama! I'm going to try it at breakfast tomorrow.

I only tried the Primal... turkey. They hated it - but love turkey. Primal seemed very dry. And gray! I really don't think you can judge whether your cats like a protein or not if they do or don't like one brand of it. :dk: They might not like that brand, it may not be the protein.

I have not tried the Primal Quail either and I think it is in the sample pack that I bought too. I just haven't gotten to trying the Primal yet. I already know the turkey was a huge flop. I will be trying it after my vacation. The HT meat is MUCH MUCH better, by far, then Primal. It looks very, very similar to RC. I just wish I could find more meats that I could just buy locally and not have to order online. So I will try the Primal proteins and see what comes of it. :D
I never tried RC, but the HT meats are definitely juicy and VERY "fresh." :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Lauren! Now that you're comfortable making kitty meatloaf :lol3: , and you have or can order the alnutrin - maybe you should consider trying http://www.mypetcarnivore.com/ They deliver to your door - and you might be able to just order over the phone with a credit card, or pay by check? :dk: I don't know how the prices compare to HT, but they seem to have a great selection of stuff!!!! And it's whole prey ground stuff too! (Though again, I don't know if fine or coarse ground).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Lauren! Now that you're comfortable making kitty meatloaf :lol3: , and you have or can order the alnutrin - maybe you should consider trying http://www.mypetcarnivore.com/ They deliver to your door - and you might be able to just order over the phone with a credit card, or pay by check? :dk: I don't know how the prices compare to HT, but they seem to have a great selection of stuff!!!! And it's whole prey ground stuff too! (Though again, I don't know if fine or coarse ground).
:flail: MUSKRAT, BEAVER, OSTRICH!!!! I just forewarned my cats and they all :dash: Seriously, THANK YOU for the link :clap::clap::clap: They do have really great prices and I will look over their website more thoroughly this week (on vacation :D :D :D :clap::clap::clap:)

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MUSKRAT, BEAVER, OSTRICH!!!!
This makes me think of all those commercials on TV for cat food...  they all say, "flavors cats naturally crave, like chicken and beef".  Cats naturally crave beef?  Whens the last time you saw a house cat race across a field and take down a cow??  I'd think if it's flavors cats naturally crave it would be something like moth flavor, or lint flavor....

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi ALL!!!!!! Back from our vacation and all of my babies survived !!!!!! Of course they did :lol3: Everyone was so happy to see me and they were starving for my attention. I missed them so much too. I am sure they missed me fussing over them with meals and doting to their constant needs. :rub: They all scarfed down their first raw meal in a week on Saturday night. I was so shocked. They seemed to miss momma's delicious mixes!!! :lol2: Rad Cat to the rescue to get them back on track. :clap::clap::clap:

Yesterday, I thawed out of the Primal sample pack the Beef/Salmon in the hopes that it would a hit !!!!!! :slant: :( - a huge flop for the four fussies. the two W's loved it, of course. Today I tried the turkey again, don't know why I bothered, they hated it the first time and hated it the second time. Tomorrow I will try the chicken/salmon. We will see. I have a feeling that the RC, the HT, NV and NM are the only brands that those fussies will agree to eat. I do want to try Bravo Balance though.

The :princess: Perla has been fussy getting back on track. But this morning she did eat some HT Pheasant mixed with BFF. BUT she detected it after a few bites and left. :sigh: Will keep trying with her, my little fussy fairy princess. :heart3: :rub: It is wonderful to be back home with all of them. My six little fuzzballs. :heart2: and my two little old men, Wilbur and Henry :heart3: :heart3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Your kitties and the two old men aren't the only ones who missed you! :lol3:

GREAT to hear they enjoyed their first post-vacation raw meal! :clap: And how surprising - things are already back to normal. :flail: :D

Lauren, I wonder if klag's advice would help? Perhaps we should search for moth or lint raw food? :lol3: And NOW I know why mouse wasn't a hit - it was real mice, not fuzzy furry rattly mice!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And look who is back :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Yey!!! Glad to know YOU and the kitties are ok - I knew the kitties would be...... you on the other hand :flail:
Just kidding :lol3:
Oh Gosh it's so hard, but so good to be back, huh? Glad to see that everything is getting right back on track - including princess Perla :princess:
Amazing how quickly they come back! :clap::clap::clap:
Welcome home momma!! :clap::clap::clap::hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This makes me think of all those commercials on TV for cat food...  they all say, "flavors cats naturally crave, like chicken and beef".  Cats naturally crave beef?  Whens the last time you saw a house cat race across a field and take down a cow??  I'd think if it's flavors cats naturally crave it would be something like moth flavor, or lint flavor....
Not a bad idea, at tall :rofl:

WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Your kitties and the two old men aren't the only ones who missed you! :lol3:
GREAT to hear they enjoyed their first post-vacation raw meal! :clap: And how surprising - things are already back to normal. :flail: :D
Lauren, I wonder if klag's advice would help? Perhaps we should search for moth or lint raw food? :lol3: And NOW I know why mouse wasn't a hit - it was real mice, not fuzzy furry rattly mice!
I agree :flail: I think I could make my own with all of the moth's at our door last night!!!!! Driving my cats bonkers. OH those June Bugs too :lol3: Have a ton of those outside too!!!!!

Sorry about the "real" mice flop. Maybe they want them really REAL!!!!!!!! the trill of the chase !!!!!!! :D :lol:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And look who is back :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Yey!!! Glad to know YOU and the kitties are ok - I knew the kitties would be...... you on the other hand :flail:
Just kidding :lol3:
Oh Gosh it's so hard, but so good to be back, huh? Glad to see that everything is getting right back on track - including princess Perla :princess:
Amazing how quickly they come back! :clap::clap::clap:
Welcome home momma!! :clap::clap::clap::hugs:
Thank YOU!!!!!! Yes, looking back all of the worry was for naught :lol3: BUT I will still worry for the next one, you know me...... September - Door County. The dogs come with though. :D :clap: I could even bring a cat or two because we are staying at my brother's rental house in Bailey's Harbor. We will see :lol:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: For RC Lamb. The :princess: pigged out this morning. Probably because momma did not fuss over her for dinner last night and she went to bed hungry :anon: :shame: Made me sad, but I am not going to spend tons of time anymore fussing over her. :lol3: I think she was shocked. It worked for this morning, she had two ounces of lamb :thud: :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Pipsqueak had three ounces of raw this morning.... two RC chicken and one HT pheasant!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perkins is so funny when he eats raw.... I have never mentioned this, I don't think :scratch:. It looks like he is pulling weeds. He takes a small bite and directly lifts his head straight up like he has pulled something out of the ground. SO freakin' funny :flail: I will have to get a video. I think he is worried about bones from the NV products. He learned to eat raw this way. So adorable, my :pumpkin: Perkins.

Everyone ate very, very well this morrning. Even my Wilbur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a miracle...... Dr. Wessner cured my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is better than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! The holistic approach and the raw together saved his life. :heart3: :heart2: :woohoo: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Lauren, it is ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm just OVER THE MOON about Wilbur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart2: :vibes: :vibes: :heart2: :clap: :clap: :bigthumb: :D :D :D

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome Back.  So glad you had a good trip, and came home to find your furkids all doing so well.  AND, so glad they didn't give you a hard time this morning!  I like your new attitude 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Lauren, it is ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm just OVER THE MOON about Wilbur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart2: :vibes: :vibes: :heart2: :clap: :clap: :bigthumb: :D :D :D
:9: :woohoo: :9: :jump: :9: ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Back.  So glad you had a good trip, and came home to find your furkids all doing so well.  AND, so glad they didn't give you a hard time this morning!  I like your new attitude 
Thanks, Sally :D :clap::clap: My new Cattitude :lol3: has a lot to do with Wilbur too. I just can't sweat :sweat: the small stuff anymore!!!!!!!! :lovegrin: AND I do know that the :princess: will not starve herself. :nono: She thinks too highly of herself to do that :worship: AND I think she has played me long enough :rofl: Poor princess Perla...... :whitecat: :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just received my HT order today :D!!!! and the Duck hearts!!! They did NOT make me get the heebies at all :clap::clap: I ended up spending most of the morning prepackaging and weighing baggies. I received rabbit, pork, chicken, turkey, pheasant and quail. Perkins and Wendall couldn't get enough of the hearts. :happy3: The other's were off napping or bird watching. But those two boys each had a few small pieces of the duck heart. They loved them. :cross: that the other's will follow suit. I already know Walden will. :lovegrin:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm eagerly awaiting the "pickies" review of the duck hearts

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELL, thank you, Laurie !!!!!!!!! :thanks: :woohoo: I would have never tried hearts if you didn't share that thread and show the pictures :lol3: OH and if anyone told me six months ago that I would be feeding my cats and dogs raw duck hearts, I would have laughed my head off...... :nono: :lol: I love that this is all new to me just as it is all new to my cats. We are going through this raw journey together.... little by little, step by step. :lovegrin:

So - I had about two ounces of duck hearts ready to offer my six. I just sliced them up in little pieces. They are actually very easy to pull apart :eek: by hand (gloved hand :lol3:) Well, Pipsqueak :dash:..... and not sure if it was the hearts because he didn't want to eat anything anyway. Perla didn't show up for dinner - which is typical. She requires a "private" dinner around 7 p.m. each evening. She comes and tells me when she is ready. :worship: BUT Walden, Wendall, Perkins and Presley all shared the two ounces - so about .5 ounce each. I just laid the pieces on top of some canned food. They went crazy for it. Presley really surprised me - he LOVED the hearts - no topper's needed for anyone.

With Pipsqueak - I have to take new proteins and new introductions slow with him. He and Perla really do not like anything new or rather anything that tastes different. They are both very finicky and have this expectation that each meal should be basically the same in taste and texture. I think Perla will eat the hearts though - her biggest meal is the morning meal. She can polish away almost 3 to 3 1/2 ounces of food for breakfast !! I hope she won't notice the hearts mixed in. BUT I will have to try with her on Friday because I don't have any dethawing for breakfast. I don't want to overdo the hearts. I think you can only feed it a couple of times a week. :dk: OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! Wilbur LOVED THE HEARTS TOO :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :jump: I am already thinking of getting more from HT and trying some other hearts too. If Wilbur loves them this much, then that will help me get his appetite going and I can use the heart pieces as a topper :lol3: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Welcome to the wonderful World of hearts :heart3: :clap::clap::clap:
My kitties looooove hearts, Duck and turkey - but turkey does take a bit more preparation on your part, and if you let it defrost completely..... well.... can get interesting :lol3:
They are big, and so are the arteries, and there are the membranes to clean..... NOT gross, but might be for some - it is a heart, so it is quite bloody :nod:
I just cleaned some before this trip and I let it defrost too much - man..... you'd think I killed someone right in my kitchen! LOTS of blood :thud:
Duck, I don't cut it at all - all I do, is rebag into portions on ziplocks, and warm up/serve whole. I do slice the Turkey, but into big pieces.
Not sure about feeding too much.... I feed at least 3 meals a week... probably around 4.... The only thing is, when I feed everyday, they tend to get finicky, so I give it a rest. But it is a very nutritious meal for sure :nod:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Carolina - I don't think I will deal with turkey hearts then :eek: I am going to stick to the little, easy to manage duck hearts. :lol3: OMG you had me cracking up on the prep of your turkey hearts in your kitchen. Probably did look like a murder scene or at the very least - a crazy woman who keeps body parts in her freezer and gets a thrill out of defrosting, cutting, and feeding to the cats. :flail: :crackup: OMG I can just picture this. The duck hearts were not bloody at all, thank goodness. As you can tell, I am still getting used to the idea of going beyond commercially ground raw. :lol3: It is easy when it is all ground up into one tidy tub, right???!!! I do think it will be a VERY healthy meal for my kids a few times a week though. How about chicken hearts??? those have to be about the same size of duck? :nod: :D

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken hearts are about the size of duck hearts, but I'm going to stop feeding them because they're very high in omega 6s, and they get plenty of those from meat. I'm replacing them with lamb hearts. :nod: