A Mouse in the House

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No idea where it came from. The two cats were staring at the buckets of kindling and newspaper. Himself moved a bucket and - whoosh! - a brown mouse ran out, followed by two intent but silent cats. Mouse dashed under a bookcase. Pause. An hour or so later mouse was on step up to dining room, followed by cats. Mouse dashed across carpet and went went under armoire. Cats, silently, "meatloafed" under buffet across the room. And stared. One cat left, other moved under table.

Some time passed. Himself hollered for me. Mouse is dashing around with Mr Poe in hot pursuit. I grab a plastic storage container. Poe gets mouse in his mouth. Drops it. I join him in chasing the mouse. And succeed in clapping the container over the mouse. Slide a thin piece of cardboard card under it, trapping the mouse.

It is quite lively. Also clearly has an injured hind leg. No blood. Take it outside, cross driveway to stack of firewood, try to set it loose to run underneath. First it runs into driveway, then once it realizes it is out in the open mouse turns and runs under pallet on which wood is stacked, dragging one leg.

Only thing I could think of. Alternative would be to kill it.

Glad I caught it. Would not have wanted to awaken in the middle of the night with one - or both cats chasing a lively mouse on - or in - our bed.

And so went the last few hours on this rainy Wednesday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either I let it go or I break its neck / step on it / drown it.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know, I was saying in case you thought it would survive cause some people do think clearly injured rescued prey will survive

I'm guilty of releasing a bird after Willow got it, have no idea if it was hurt, it was able to fly, so I'm not judging you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Injured small creatures are easy prey. That's probably why they breed so young and often and have short lives. There have been times when it is obvious that the best thing I can do is put a severely injured animal down. Do it, don't like doing it. In this instance I thought it might have a chance. I did go out after a bit and throw some bird seed here and there under the firewood pallet.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Injured small creatures are easy prey. That's probably why they breed so young and often and have short lives. There have been times when it is obvious that the best thing I can do is put a severely injured animal down. Do it, don't like doing it. In this instance I thought it might have a chance. I did go out after a bit and throw some bird seed here and there under the firewood pallet.
The reason why it won't survive is when its slower than other rodents, it will be the first one to get caught by something for dinner, predators go after the slowest animals :alright:

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I’ve had a mice infestation at my house and I don’t let my girls get a chance to even come near them (placing traps under the sink cabinet). It’s SO hard killing a living thing, literally WRECKS me everytime one is caught in the trap but all the “humane” ones don’t work for us. You “could” have killed it, but maybe you provided a bird or another animal a meal! Also mice will find their way back into your house if you release them close by. Just a heads up! :ohwell:

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God bless you for being able to do that.. maybe it’s because I had pet mice growing up but I’d rather the trap do the work 😩😭

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had to drown a rodent before, it's leg was literally hanging off, poor thing was probably dying anyway, so like I said I not judging you, had it been a cat or a dog or rabbit etc I would of got it to the vet, but I don't think that rodent would of lived long enough to get to the vet :catrub:

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had to drown a rodent before, it's leg was literally hanging off, poor thing was probably dying anyway, so like I said I not judging you, had it been a cat or a dog or rabbit etc I would of got it to the vet, but I don't think that rodent would of lived long enough to get to the vet :catrub:
That’s so hard to do! I give you so much credit! May I ask your method of drowning? As I said before I have a on going rodent problem in my house and I want to put them out of their misery as fast as possible 😭

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That’s so hard to do! I give you so much credit! May I ask your method of drowning? As I said before I have a on going rodent problem in my house and I want to put them out of their misery as fast as possible 😭
The only thing I was able to do was hold it underwater, it didn't live longer than a few seconds, whether it was just the drowning or whether it was the injuries as well I don't know

I still to this day feel guilty over it but I realise it wasn't going to live long enough to see the vet

I hope it doesn't make me a psychopath or something, killing a rodent like that

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing I was able to do was hold it underwater, it didn't live longer than a few seconds, whether it was just the drowning or whether it was the injuries as well I don't know

I still to this day feel guilty over it but I realise it wasn't going to live long enough to see the vet

I hope it doesn't make me a psychopath or something, killing a rodent like that
you held it underwater with bare hands???! I don’t think I’m capable of that 😫