A moral dilemma...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, this is Rossi.
Rossi was my first kitty; he was a stray approximately a year old when I found him in 2005.  Rossi and I didn't have that much alone time together, as I thought Rossi would like a buddy to play with. Turns out, he didn't.  He was irritated by the kitten I brought home, and every cat adopted thereafter.

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment with 3+ cats (I've been taken to task by judgey sorts on here before, so "3+" will have to suffice), and Rossi has always walked around as though on edge; looking over his shoulder before he eats, and approaching litterboxes with trepidation.  I do think that for the most part, that's who Rossi is; he's not a gregarious cat that will greet you with a hearty meow and a desire to be picked up. But he will snuggle up to you (especially when he's not feeling well), and will wake you up for breakfast with a few licks or a little nibble. 

Rossi has had issues with UTI's and crystals.  A few years ago we thought we had things solved when my vet realized that his bladder was huge, and that his root problem was one of not completely emptying, and the remaining urine collecting bacteria. So he's been on Bethanicol for 2 years or so. On balance, it's been a really good 2 years for him.

He's been spraying the last few months or so, seemingly always around the front door. Finally nailed it down that it was actually him doing so, and turns out he had a lot of bacteria in his urine. Got some antibiotics, no biggie. Well, after a week on them, his appetite was gone, had developed a sneeze, was vomiting, and visibly losing weight. a different antibiotic for a few days didn't help, and I got some injections from the vet to finish up his 2-week application. I gave him his first shot in the morning, and I came home at lunch to check on him; he was walking around crying, and stumbly/lethargic. I had a breakdown, called my vet, and they got him in immediately.

He had a fever, was starting to get an eye discharge, and had lost a pound in the 1.5 weeks since he was last there, now just a shade over 7 pounds.  They kept him overnight to give him fluids and observe him. I will get him later today.

Now, here's my dilemma. I have to assume Rossi will beat whatever is ailing him right now. That being the case...part of my sadness stems from the fact that I wonder if Rossi has ever been happy, and if the environment I've placed him in has contributed/caused his health issues. I've read that stress can exacerbate many ailments, especially UTI's, and that's not helped by the fact that during those times when he really needs to eat (and drink!), he's wary of his surroundings and cannot do so with confidence. And so, I'm tossing around the notion that, if the perfect situation were to present itself (and it would have to be perfect), if Rossi deserves a slower-paced home for him to live out his golden years in a more solitary fashion. There are probably drugs that could ease his anxiety and make him more comfortable at home, but should he instead be allowed to retain the integrity of his being elsewhere, and just live the life that he wants and deserves. 

I'm struggling mightily with this, and feel like I'm dying inside. I am interested in how others view this issue.

Thanks.

Robert

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried anything to ease his stress?  Feliway diffuser or something similar.  Jackson Galaxy has some spirit essences on his website that might help.

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww I feel for you! Can you provide a separate room for him with his own litter box and food/water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Awwww I feel for you! Can you provide a separate room for him with his own litter box and food/water?
Theoretically, yes; but it would be so counter-productive with regards to litterboxes, feeders, and the wall portal-catwalk system that runs through the apartment, it honestly wouldn't be fair to the other kitties. And it would limit my interaction with him.

It makes me realize how lucky I've been with having such a socially-cohesive kitty environment for the most part; but Rossi just never blended in. He's a malcontent. Nothing pleases me more than when he's napping, all splayed out; I know then he at least has a moment of peace. I have a friend who says that he seems miserable being a cat. :) And she's right, he's just different; which makes the situation that much harder to describe.

The vet wants to keep him for the weekend. They say he's been eating well and doing better. So if I get a fully healthy kitty with a normal appetite on Monday, it will be an interesting litmus test to watch him interact with the others and engage in his daily activities after his little kitty-free vacation. 

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what you mean by "wall portal-catwalk"? It would seem to me to be something worth trying, or at least when he comes home from the vet and needs a little peace and quiet to recover. 

I don't necessarily mean that you lock him away in the other room, but that he has his own litter box and food away from the other cats if he want it? 

Where does he nap?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats need personal space and likely having 3+ cats in a two bedroom apartment makes it difficult for Rossi to get all of the personal space that he needs. There is probably no way that there isn't at least one cat in the same space as him most of the time. Many cats can deal with this without much issue, but others do not react well. In our smallish three bedroom house, we have two cats. While the cat and kitten get along just fine, there are still times during the day where my cat takes time to be by himself in a high up space the kitten can't get to (yet).

Our last cat was a cat that didn't like other cats. After we lost the two kittens that we did adopt while we had her (allowed outdoors in a situation that was too dangerous), we decided not to get any others until she passed, which happened last year at the age of 17. Living a solitary life was definitely preferable to her and might be to Rossi as well.

If he is noticeably stressed a lot of the time, this living situation is clearly not one that is good for him in which case rehoming might be the kindest thing.

Of course, trying Feliway and other things like this that might relax him might be good first to see if these things would make him into a happier cat.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a difficult situation. Some cats just do better by themselves. On the other hand, Rossi has a good home with a caring owner (you) who is clearly in tune with his needs.

Have you tried things like Spirit Essences to see if they help Rossi feel more at ease? It might well be worth considering. After all, not everyone can have the ideal living situation for them - this goes for felines and humans alike. Life is sometimes about compromise.

I think part of the issue is that Rossi is clearly bonded to you, no matter what he thinks of the other cats. You have to consider whether leaving you might cause as much stress as staying in his current situation. If it were me, I'd only consider rehoming if he were able to go to a close friend or family member who you were certain would give him the same level of care he gets from you and a better quality of life.

I hope that makes sense. I don't envy you your position. Good luck with finding the right answer :vibes:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think he's necessarily a malcontent. It sounds like the ideal living environment for Rossi would be as the only cat in a home. IF you were able to find someone who was looking for a senior cat AND would spend the money on future vet bills, then I think you should give him a chance at being the only cat in a home. He may miss you, but the joy of being the only cat might be more than the sadness at missing you. It's just like humans. Some need to be social and see other people while others are solitary loners. I know some solitary loners and I am quasi-one. My dad definitely is more of one. Something like being forced to be around other cats/humans 24/7 would really create constant unhappiness in these types of people/cats.