A Month After An Accident And Cat Is Still Timid

mikachoooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

I've been a reader of forum posts for a while but I think I might need some help with my poor Neko.

She's a 3 year old calico that used to be really playful, outgoing and curious. I came home almost a month ago and she had experienced some sort of accident. She had ripped her hind claws in half and I later found that she had ripped one out.

I took her to the emergency and they cleaned the wound and have taken her to two subsequent vet appointments where the doctor has confirmed the claws are healing properly.

But she's still so timid. She's afraid of random things like the floor, her bowl etc. She doesn't run around like she used to and spends most of the time sleeping on my bed. When she wants to come down, she assesses the floor for quite some time before jumping down. She randomly swats and hisses at inanimate objects. I don't understand.

I've been cuddling her alot and checking on her nails. I always give her a treat when i get some.

She still purrs non stop like she used to and eats, drinks water (from the faucet in the tub) and uses the litter.

I'm just afraid that she's never going to go back to her curious and playful self.

Any word of advice? Am i stressing about it too much?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi mikachoooo,

Do you know the circumstances around how she got injured? It sounds like Neko is recovering well physically since she is moving around fine, despite being cautious of her surroundings. It has only been a month so maybe she is still feeling some discomfort form the wounds? It's great you're giving her lots of love and paying attention to her wounds. I wouldn't worry at this point, and see if she feels more herself in another month or so.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her paw could still be a little painful. It sounds as if it was quite a bad i jury and may take a while for the nerves to settle. How does it look, will she let you touch it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikachoooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Olwince.

Unfortunately, I don't know what exactly happened and have had trouble piecing it together. I got home home and she was acting nervous and her paws were bloody (she has tufted white paws so it was quite shocking to see).

I will give her more time and more love. Thank you so much for your reply!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikachoooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her paw could still be a little painful. It sounds as if it was quite a bad i jury and may take a while for the nerves to settle. How does it look, will she let you touch it?
Hi Verna

Oh yes, I can pick her up and cuddle her and she sleeps with me. If I hold her tight, she lets me look at her injured claws but wriggles a lot.

You're right, just need to give her more time to let her nerve settles. Thank you for your reply!