A MEOWer!!!!

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone deal with an overly talkative cat? Have you found any solutions?? Our boy Colossus is 8(neutered). For his entire life he has meowed A LOT!! Mostly at night time. Hours on end meowing. If I am awake and up moving he is fine. The moment my eyes close he starts. If my husband is awake he doesn’t care. He wants ME awake and moving. He has now taken to meowing all day too.He goes through stages of this where he’s quieter some weeks and the most obnoxious cat I’ve ever met others. He has been to the vet multiple times and no physical health issues have been found though he did have crystals once when we were building our porch roof back in spring 2022. He is currently on c/d stress dry food and gets a variety of wet 3 times a day. I have tried ignoring it (he will still meow for hours), calming treats, collars, zylkene, l theanine, pheromone sprays and collars. He has hundreds of toys, a cat wall, an outdoor enclosure, multiple cat towers and 3 other cats to play with (he gets along with them fine). We try to wear him out with toys and wands (mostly he sits and stares at them but we do our best to keep him busy). He gets pets and loved on all day. Before our boy Petey passed he would go and grab colossus by the scruff of the neck when he was meowing like it annoyed him too lol. He doesn’t seem to sleep as much as any other cat I’ve ever had. He sleeps for a bit then is up meowing. If I’m up cleaning or up doing something he’s fine. As soon as I sit to watch tv or read he starts. I have a vet appointment for the 13th, but wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions. He seriously has my blood pressure through the roof from not getting proper sleep and not being able to sit and relax . It’s almost like separation anxiety, but I’M RIGHT HERE WITH HIM! Thoughts?

To add to this. The last time he was at the vet she suggested trying the calming probiotic (like forti flora). I did this for a couple months with no noticeable benefits.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
The last time he was at the vet she suggested trying the calming probiotic (like forti flora).
A probiotic isn't going to have an effect on excessive meowing unless she's wondering if he has stomach issues going on.

Have you noticed other cats or animals in your back yard? If you don't have a camera that covers the back yard and/or side yards, see if you can put something inexpensive up for a while so you can see what's going on.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has [...] 3 other cats to play with (he gets along with them fine). We try to wear him out with toys and wands (mostly he sits and stares at them but we do our best to keep him busy).
Do you notice him playing with the other cats much? If so, how often?

Interactive toys can be hit-or-miss. My cat, for some reason, never liked feathers. So he completely ignores any toy with a feather on the end. But he likes little mouse toys, so I found wand toys that had little mice attached to the string, and he went crazy for them.

One he loved was called "OurPets Play-N-Squeak," which is a wand toy with a mouse at the end that squeaks when you move it. But I actually had to cut the feather off the end (it's a mouse with a feather-tail, like some kind of strange hybrid creature) because my cat doesn't like feathers. But he loved it with the feather removed.

OurPets Play-N-Squeak Teathered & Feathered
Amazon.com

Another toy he loved was Cat Dancers, which have cardboard tubes at the end. He likes to chew on cardboard, so when he catches the end of a Cat Dancer, he chews on it.

Cat Dancer
Amazon.com

(BTW, I only use the past-tense and say he "loved" these toys because he has cancer right now, and isn't as interested in playing.)

My point is that interactive wand toys are great ways to tire out your cat, but some cats may be more particular about specific kinds of wand toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

A probiotic isn't going to have an effect on excessive meowing unless she's wondering if he has stomach issues going on.

Have you noticed other cats or animals in your back yard? If you don't have a camera that covers the back yard and/or side yards, see if you can put something inexpensive up for a while so you can see what's going on.
It is a “calming” probiotic that has a certain strain that is supposed to help with anxiety. It’s Purina calming care.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Interactive toys can be hit-or-miss. My cat, for some reason, never liked feathers. So he completely ignores any toy with a feather on the end. But he likes little mouse toys, so I found wand toys that had little mice attached to the string, and he went crazy for them.

One he loved was called "OurPets Play-N-Squeak," which is a wand toy with a mouse at the end that squeaks when you move it. But I actually had to cut the feather off the end (it's a mouse with a feather-tail, like some kind of strange hybrid creature) because my cat doesn't like feathers. But he loved it with the feather removed.

Amazon.com

Another toy he loved was Cat Dancers, which have cardboard tubes at the end. He likes to chew on cardboard, so when he catches the end of a Cat Dancer, he chews on it.

Cat Dancer
Amazon.com

(BTW, I only use the past-tense and say he "loved" these toys because he has cancer right now, and isn't as interested in playing.)

My point is that interactive wand toys are great ways to tire out your cat, but some cats may be more particular about specific kinds of wand toys.

Amazon.com

Cat Dancer
Amazon.com

I’m sorry about your kitty having cancer. I hope you have much more good time with him!!!
I think we own almost every type of toy imaginable. I have bird wands, string, worms, feather. Regular soft toys in all shapes and sizes. Cat nip. Scratchers. Ball toys. Etc. He plays with our other cats daily(2 of them). He does like to play hide and seek of sorts. I run and he runs after me lol Our oldest girl is 16 and is not about playing. I will keep looking for some other alternatives and check out the links you provided to see if anything might work!

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any possible connection with your other cat who was yowling and has since stopped for the most part? (Sudden Yowling | TheCatSite) With Ki, you thought it had to do with the passing of Petey. How does all correlate with Colossus?
In my other post I said I was hopeful that Ki wasn’t grieving…I WISH Colossus was grieving lol. At least it would give me an answer. He has been like this for 8 years on and off though he definitely now has more weeks of meowing during the day consistently than he used to.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my other post I said I was hopeful that Ki wasn’t grieving…I WISH Colossus was grieving lol. At least it would give me an answer. He has been like this for 8 years on and off though he definitely now has more weeks of meowing during the day consistently than he used to.
I just looked at my other post and realized I didn’t share my response. I had wrote one out that said my husband had mentioned that ki may be going through grief and my broken heart was hoping she wasn’t also suffering from a broken heart but now I do think that’s what it was. I forgot to actually post it. :doh:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for clarifying about the Purina product.

In any case, I'm copying this below from my post above in case you missed it;

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Colossus is obviously a vocal cat since he has done this for years. The increase lately may still be related to the passing of Petey. Maybe he found consolation in Ki's mourning/yowling and now that she seems to have moved passed that, he is picking up where she left off.

I don't think I saw it mentioned about trying cat music for him. Home | Music for Cats | David Teie. You also mentioned he is more inclined to do this when you try to sit and relax. Is he the type of cat that would sit with you?

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for clarifying about the Purina product.

I'm copying this below from my post above in case you missed it;

We do have some deer in the back yard occasionally, but not really anything besides that (we are in a rural area).

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Colossus is obviously a vocal cat since he has done this for years. The increase lately may still be related to the passing of Petey. Maybe he found consolation in Ki's mourning/yowling and now that she seems to have moved passed that, he is picking up where she left off.

I don't think I saw it mentioned about trying cat music for him. Home | Music for Cats | David Teie. You also mentioned he is more inclined to do this when you try to sit and relax. Is he the type of cat that would sit with you?
Good point. I have not tried music. I will give that a go. He is not really a cuddly cat though he does sit with me for at least a little bit daily and when he’s sleeping he does sleep in my vicinity.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You obviously aren't interested in putting up cameras to see what happens outside at night etc, so I'm not accomplishing anything there for Colossus. Does he meow when he's in his outdoor enclosure?

I've pretty much decided there just isn't a calming product, other than possibly CBD, on the market that really does much. Neither my angel Poppycat nor my 🧡 orange marmalade Captain are effected at all on the way to the vet. The gabapentin Captain was getting after his dental work certainly didn't calm him. He's a serious talker, but other than an auto feeder for the early morning we let him have at it.

Hopefully the music works.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Current playtime with little sister hiding behind a blanket :)

Attachments

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You obviously aren't interested in putting up cameras to see what happens outside at night etc, so I'm not accomplishing anything there for Colossus. Does he meow when he's in his enclosure?

I've pretty much decided there just isn't a calming product, other than possibly CBD, on the market that really does much. Neither my angel Poppycat nor my 🧡 orange marmalade Captain are effected at all on the way to the vet. The gabapentin Captain was getting after his dental work certainly didn't calm him.

Hopefully the music works.
I already have cameras. As I said there are deer outside sometimes. Maybe the occasional skunk. He doesn’t meow when he is outside in the enclosure. Gabapentin definitely calms him. He was on it for a short period when he had the crystals.