A little worried

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have been fostering for a couple years now for a local shelter and I have gotten my first pregnant cat. I have had her for about a week and a half now. All was well, happy kitty. Such a love. She all of a sudden stopped eating and drinking yesterday afternoon, I assumed we were getting close. But she started vomiting bright yellow bile. Yesterday afternoon and evening. I was told bile means empty stomach. Still vomited again this morning. Brought her back to shelter, vet tech was there. They gave her fluids and something to settle her stomach and the vomiting has stopped, but she still has had NO food or water in about 36 hours. Babies are still very active (belly looking like a scene from alien at times), but she just wants to sleep. She just got up a little while ago, went to the litter and did a small liquidy poop and walked right back to her bed. No idea when she got pregnant, but assuming it must be close to time. Vet tech said she thinks it’s pre labor. Shelter owner says she thinks she is sick. Curious to know what your thoughts are

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was given sub q fluids this morning and will go back tomorrow for another round if needed ..... but doing the check by pulling up at back of neck to see if it returns quickly, she appears to be ok. I just returned from shelter again.... messy poops may be coccidia so she was given meds, and she got a B12 shot. Was told if she does not start eating and drinking on her own I can try to slowly syringe RX wet food with water into her. She is back to sleeping as soon as I returned home. Still worried. Maybe I should go back to fostering kittens. Lol.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping her, it can be hard work and anxiety provoking when things like this happen. Some queens feel nauseated when they are in the final days of pregnancy and may go off food and have diarrhea about a day before labor. Do keep trying to feed her a variety of foods as much as possible. Foods to try: fresh cooked turkey, chicken, salmon, shrimp, goat milk, pet chicken broth (no onions or seasoning). Go to the store and buy several small cans of cat food. I do little buffets for the anorexic ones and one time I had a kitten turn down 9 kinds of food and then go crazy on the tenth. It saved her life. Cats can't go too long without eating, fatty liver disease can be a problem. Learning how to do sub q fluids and tube feeding at home is really useful, if you can try to do so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a tough one. I’m hoping it’s just her hormones, but the meds, sub-q fluids, and vitamin B shot are all helpful, and perhaps she’s had a virus. It’s unusual for a pregnant cat to be that sick, but it’s not unusual for a near-term one to have diarrhea before labor and delivery. Poor kitty! I hope she perks up soon. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was a little restless this morning and got up to change blankets she was laying on ..... a few meows this morning which is not like her.... so hoping this is all because she is close to ready. She starts purring as soon as you pet her

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more round of Sub Q fluids, giving her some ID food in syringe. She has just slept all day. Babies are still very active. Day 2 of 5 for treating coccidia. I hope I can sleep tonight 😞

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor mama! Poor you! It’s important that she stays hydrated. Did she eat the syringed food okay? What meds are they giving her for coccidia?

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was not happy about getting the syringed food, but she took it ok. Still showing no interest in food or water. She is on a five day treatment of panazuril for the coccidia. She had another small watery bloody poop last night. Still purrs as soon as I start petting her and babies are still moving

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk? Its no cure for everything, but it has some potential to be a deciding factor in some awkward situations. Also, its a good nourishment by itself, so it cant hur but may help...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would also suggest mixing the powder from a probiotic capsule into the food that you give her in the syringe. It may help the flora in her gut.

Further, she may need an antibiotic as well if she has a bacterial infection in her gastro-intestinal system, so you may want to speak with the shelter about that.

I’m really hoping she gets better soon!

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure about the raw goats milk ..... will have to check into that. I believe antibiotic is next on the list. She did well with her sub q this morning. More messy poops .... poor little butt

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get her started now on an antibiotic? The continued diarrhea is worrisome. Also, she may need an anti-diarrheal med to give her a break.

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Antibiotic starting today. Good news is ...... she actually went to food and water today. Did not have much, but ate a few nibbles of food on her own and drank a tiny bit of water ..... and those babies are having a disco party inside!! Feeling a slight bit of relief