A little problem..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would mean he would have to be outside 24/7? If so I'm not sure that would be the best option. He is declawed so he doesn't have much of a defense. He is one of the strongest most muscular cats i've had and he brings home things like birds, rats, mice, rabbits. But im still not sure if having a declawed full time outdoor cat is a good idea in the middle of a big city
No, not at all. I mean to build a small secure enclosure, maybe 6 feet square, and have a cat door from the house to that enclosure, so he can go out to potty whenever he wants, but he's still safe from predators. I don't recommend de-clawed cats be outside unprotected at all.

princessnova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My parents had a kitty who did the same thing, it seemed a little extreme, but they placed 3 more litter boxes around the house. For one they used a cardboard box with a liner, then a regular plastic litter that was shorter than his usual one and then they also placed a covered one. And they would place him in the one of the boxes before they left for work and as soon as they got home, on the weekend they would place him in one basically everytime they thought about it... It took a little over two weeks, but he started peeing in them and they made note of which one he had a preference to (the cardboard box) and he's been using it ever since.

He was about 5y/o when he started that and no body really knows why. He had been declawed before they adopted him when he was 2years old. 

But now he's about 12 or 13 and nothing of the sort has happened since then... It was pretty unpleasant though, I remember he would pee everywhere. And my mom loves him to death so eventhough my dad was unhappy about the situation, my mom really buckled down and figured out. And it's worked out so well 

princessnova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention, that they used different types of litters in each one. I really can't remember what they were but I remember that one of them was almost like a puppy training pad?.. Hope this helps a little! Good luck!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that marking was when they spray on things? I could be wrong. But yes we do actually already have a defuser! We just need to get the proper essential oils to make the right scent which i believe i a measure list for somewhere
You want to be very careful with essential oils and cats. Cat systems are too sensitive and the diffusers can be toxic. The product recommended above or Feliway are designed for cats and would be safe. Please don't try to make your own.

Is he neutered?

What do you use to clean up once he has peed somewhere? An enzyme cleaner?

Before you give him away, you could try an anti-anxiety medication. I would never allow a declawed cat, or any cat who was previously a house cat, to live in a barn.

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll second the use of enzymatic cleaner; no amount of scrubbing is going to remove all of the urine scent without the enzymatic cleaner. I also agree on an upstairs litterbox.  The usual rule is to have one on each floor of the house, even or a single cat.

I have never had a declawed cat, but I have heard that paper pellets or dr elys litter are good options for them.

One last thing is to have the vet check not only his paws, but also his blood sugar and kidney function.   If there is a medical issue, he may just "need to go", so to speak.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Enzyme cleaners work best for cleaning up accidents. I personally use Nature's Miracle expensive but it works. I also use a light that makes pee glow so I make sure it's gone. It is one of those lamps they use on counterfeit money forget what they're called

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrchesterbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I'll answer some of the questions all in one;

I can guarantee for a fact that he is 100% physically healthy. I have full confidence in my vets skills and opinions.

As he has saved many of our problem animals (we tend to get animals with extreme medical conditions without our knowledge until we take them to him) and Chester is the only animal we have taken that he has yet to find something wrong with him. However i cannot speak for phantom pain in is paws. But i did pick up a new litter the other day so we are giving it a try today.

Also for cleaner i use that specialty cat urine cleaner from the pet store.

paml

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Firstly, ask them to xray the cats paws.  MANY declawed cats have the bone regrow which can cause problems and pain so they dont like to dig in litter and prefer soft surfaces to pee in.  IF you are on facebook, check out the group The Paw Project.  They show examples of this and how it can be fixed.  Many vets have no clue about it.

I had a cat who preferred dirt to pee in, going outside wasnt an option so we bought soil and changed it out every 2 weeks, scooping the poop out daily.   Also shredded newspaper can work well.

I'd also add more litter boxes in the house  with a baby gate around them so the dogs cant eat the poop.

Also get UNSCENTED litter many of the scented kind is a big turn off for cats.  Just use bi carb soda to help cut down odor.

Nature's miracle is an enzyme cleaner that gets rid of cat pee. You should be able to get some from amazon.

DO NOT let the cat outside, it cannot protect itself or climb like a regular cat could.  Im very surprised a vet would suggest that for a declawed cat.. Maybe find a new vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrchesterbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Firstly, ask them to xray the cats paws.  MANY declawed cats have the bone regrow which can cause problems and pain so they dont like to dig in litter and prefer soft surfaces to pee in.  IF you are on facebook, check out the group The Paw Project.  They show examples of this and how it can be fixed.  Many vets have no clue about it.

I had a cat who preferred dirt to pee in, going outside wasnt an option so we bought soil and changed it out every 2 weeks, scooping the poop out daily.   Also shredded newspaper can work well.

I'd also add more litter boxes in the house  with a baby gate around them so the dogs cant eat the poop.

Also get UNSCENTED litter many of the scented kind is a big turn off for cats.  Just use bi carb soda to help cut down odor.

Nature's miracle is an enzyme cleaner that gets rid of cat pee. You should be able to get some from amazon.

DO NOT let the cat outside, it cannot protect itself or climb like a regular cat could.  Im very surprised a vet would suggest that for a declawed cat.. Maybe find a new vet.
Well unfortunately i live in a town where there is only one vet that works on house pets and i cant afford the money it would take to get him to the next city over. And we have taken him to the vet with full confidence that he will do everything possible for my cat. Which he has. Its not like this is something I am taking lightly to. Im trying to make my cat feel better. And the only professional answers we have gotten are that it is anxiety from not being outside.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It very well could be anxiety but anxiety from not being outdoors sounds a bit fishy to me. I've heard of cats being anxious because of outside though (cars, wolves, angry neighbors, cat fights etc)