A little long winded but I could use some advice

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 18 year old kitty is in stage 2 ( but barely) renal failure. He has had issues with inappetance and in the last few months has had good days and bad ones. He has had two full blood panels and a complete urinalysis done recently and his kidney levels have actually marginally improved. He has trouble with his potassium levels dipping so is on a low dose supplement for it. Blood work completed yesterday shows all levels are good- thyroid and blood sugar normal as well as potassium in normal range. The last few days he has had bouts of vomiting and doesn’t want to eat. He seems hungry, goes to where his food and treats are and meows but sniffs and walks away no matter what I offer him. He was given an anti nausea injection and Sulcrate for the next few days to calm his tummy. He was previously on Aventiclav antibiotics for a suspected infection noticed in previous bloodwork. The vet seems to think he may be having a cumulative affect from the antibiotics causing him to feel nauseous. I am unsure what I can do to help him- it makes me so sad that he seems hungry but can’t bring himself to eat. I’ve tried warming it up, watering it down, all his favorite foods and treats and he’s refusing it all except a tiny lick here and there. What can I do for my poor old gentleman? I’m hoping he can ride this out and will bounce back but it’s so hard to see him like this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest handfeeding him. With my boy, and with other cats not only can it help to remind them that food is good but it keeps them from becoming dehydrated, and will also keep the possibility of hepatic lipidosis more at bay.

You can't wait for him to do it himself. Use either finger feeding, a popsicle stick or a syringe, but by whatever method food needs to get into his stomach :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Constipation is a big issue in kidney kitties because the body needs the moisture to pass the stool and many kidney kitties don't have the extra moisture. Constipation can cause upset tummy and nausea. Ask your vet about adding Pepcid to your kitty's nighttime routine to help settle stomach acid and nausea.

Be sure to feed a wet food diet, with as little dry food as possible. Again, the moisture is a factor. Try plain meat baby food or Fancy Feast classic pates to jump start eating. You could also try boiling chicken thighs in water with no seasonigs, remove from bones (if not using boneless skinless) and allow to cool. Grind it up with a little bit of the broth from boiling and offer that to him. If you warm it up a little bit, it might entice him to eat some.

katmaz77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was refusing all his regular foods when experiencing bouts of diarrhea. My vet said he may be associating the food and upset stomach. I bought a new flavor of a food he enjoys and he was happy to eat it. Now I just alternate flavors if he gets picky. I also use a product called Under the Weather when he's not eating to make sure he is getting nutrients to stay healthy.