A litterbox that wouldn't leak pee?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a litterbox that is all around 8 inch tall, except for the entrance which is 5 inch tall.
But the cat always pees right at the entrance which apparently is too low, so that the pee gets on the top of the entry and all over outside which gets on the floor.

I'm seeing on Amazon a product that is 6.5 inch tall all around. I'm wondering if that would be tall enough even though it's just 1.5 inches taller than the current one.

Another one I see is 10 inches tall: Amazon.com

I'm worried the cat might have a hard time getting in though if it's 10 inches tall, so wondering if there is something like a podium cat that could go along with that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As ugly as it is, experimentation is about the only thing you can do, as what works for one cat doesn't always work for others. Some folks here buy a huge plastic storage container, cut an entry hole on the long side of the box, and then place a litter box inside of it, with the entry way on the short side. It makes the cat enter in one place on the outside container, and then navigate to the litter box opening on the inside. It doesn't guarantee that your cat won't pee outside the litter box, but it will be caught in the huge outside container.

Another option is to use puppy pee pads right outside the entry to the litter box and let them catch whatever is peed over the entryway.

A 'podium" or rather a step which can be made out of nothing more than a sturdy cardboard box, might be an option too. But if there is an issue with your cat navigating getting inside a higher sided box, a step may resolve that but will it be as much help when exiting the box? I have done this with a 9" high sided box, when my cat was entering a lower sided box and peeing out the entryway, and for a while it worked, until it did not. My cat ended up having issues with getting over the top of the box to the step.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a sterilite container from Walmart. It’s 14 inches high and none of my cats had issues getting in or out. I even had an 18 year old senior that would use it

IMG_1626.png

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is this cat? They may be suffering from arthritis. Urinating over the side of the box is often a red flag for arthritis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is 12 years old and it does have arthritis since a few years ago.
She is about 15 lb I think.

This is the litterbox I'm using now: Amazon.com

But thinking of buying something like this: Amazon.com
But this one looks very big.

This one (Purina) looks nicer but uses pellets which I'm not used to (I'm using fresh step cat litter).

This one looks nice (nice yellow color) but it comes with 2 of it; I wish I could buy just one.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Those prices are ridiculous. This is the size Gypsy has been using since she adopted us back in 2016, it still is under $11. Very sturdy and well made. Our local Walmart has them in stock, I've also ordered them online. Our local Menards carries this size but the price has jumped. Vet check to rule out a medical problem. Good luck, keep us updated.
20240417_223359.jpg
20240417_223009.jpg
20240417_222947.jpg
20240417_222900.jpg
20240417_222842.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll consider your suggestion, it has nice green color.
By the way, how many inches tall is the entry for Vibrant litter box?

I'm also seeing this review on Walmart: "Worst boxes ever! Where the cats pee, the litter sticks to these boxes like cement. It may just be something they’re coated with. Never had this happen in all the many years I’ve had cats. I scoop daily, use tidy cat scoopable as always. I got 3 of these boxes - never used this particular brand before - to replace similar style boxes (I replace boxes every 6 months as they get scratched on the bottom and litter sticks) and it’s impossible to scoop these boxes without the clumps sticking to the sides and bottom of the boxes and breaking apart. Contaminates the whole litter box. I mean it sticks worse than the ones I replaced! Can’t return them since they’ve been used! Grrrr! Waste of money! Plus I had to buy 3 more boxes - got the usual brand ( blue ones) and 3 boxes of tidy cat scoopable (which has doubled in price in the last year - inflation apparently hit the cat litter industry). Not a happy cat mom!" vibrant high sided cat litter box - Google Shopping

Last edited: