A Kitty Question =)

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! :wave3:

Hard to believe Comet's & Velvet's kittens are going to be 3wks old coming up on Saturday! They are doing great!
My question is what is the best OTC dewormer i can get for my kitties? & how old do the kittens need to be for worming? Last year i had bought this stuff overseas in pill form & I guess it worked for my 2 kitties that go in/out (Tux & Peeky). But this time I would like to use the liquid kind. Any suggestions? TIA! :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm hoping someone over in the kitten forum can help with your question. I've called in reinforcements :wink:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, there isn't one approved for cats in the US :/. You can ask the vet for some Drontal though. My vet only charges about $4 a pill. Although if they haven't been to the vet yet they may require a visit.

And I don't think any tapeworm meds come in liquid (unless you have it specially compounded), because praziquantel is very bitter and nasty-tasting.

The first de-wormer used for young kittens is usually pyrantel pamoate. It doesn't kill tapeworms. You can buy it OTC if it's sold for horses or humans (but it's the same stuff). Just make sure you get the dosing right. But if you don't want to get a big bottle of it, ask your vet. My vet only charges $2 a dose.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can perhaps look on drop on preparates? Droncit taking tapeworm may be as drop on too, perhaps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info! I don't have to get liquid form. It would be easier tho ;) i do have a pill syringe which helps get the pill down in kitty's mouth. Lol. I think to be safe i otta take mom & kittens to my vet. I'm on a tight budget but I'm sure they can work with me. :)

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I hope I posted this in the right forum (if i didn't please feel free to move to the appropriate forum :)).

Well the kittens are getting so big & so active now! I have Comet & her kittens in a play pen & i had to put a sheet of plywood on top so mom wouldn't escape & move her babies (they r in the basement). Velvet & her kittens have been in my room (she kept moving her 2 kittens in dangerous places...my kids rooms!:eek: lol).
Now that the kittens are active & about to start potty training can I remove the plywood off the playpen without Comet moving her kittens? I wanted to set up the playpen differently so the kittens have more room to play & set up their litter box. Will comet still move her kittens if i took the plywood off? At what point will momma kittys not move their kittens to where THEY think its safe? Lol I question those mom's judgement on "safe" places for their kittens!:confused:
It would be so convenient if I can put all the kittens together & the 2 moms together but velvet just hissed at her sister! :confused:lol so that's not gonna work. Cranky moms! :Dlol. I just wanna set up a nice & safe kitty play area :D lol

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20181025_221833.jpg
20181024_143630-COLLAGE.jpg
An updated picture of Comet & her kittens :lovecat3: I'll snap some pics of Velvet & her kittens in a little bit. They r sooo cute! :lovecat3:

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Oh my gracious sakes they are DARLING!!!

I think the only way to know if Comet is ok with things is to go ahead and take the plywood off, keep your fingers crossed and see what happens.

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol awe thanks everyone! :D i love my little fur babies!:happycat:
Furballsmom Furballsmom I will brave it in taking the "lid"off the play pen. Lol I'm a little hesitant because the first time when I first found her & her kittens she moved 1 kitten jammed into a tiny space in mount crap-more (lol my big pile of organized mess in the basement :D) & I had one heck of a time digging comet & her 1 kitten out of that mess. Lol I would hate to do that all over again!:confused: i just thought since the kittens r 3wks old now & very active that she will leave them in the safe area they r in currently. I will brave it tho & give it a try! o_O

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol they are adorable! :)
I've been leaving my bedroom door open to allow Velvet to explore the house & so far she hasn't moved her kittens. So maybe...juuust maaaybe comet won't move hers? Lol I'm gonna take the lid off now & see. I don't mind if she sniffs around but I hope she doesn't move the kittens. I'll find out in the morning! :confused: lol