A kitten fell down my chimney and I need advice!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their neuter is scheduled for the end of the month and I am nervous!
Aw, don't worry about it. Neutering males is quick and painless. It's usually "one and done." We got our little one, Elliot, neutered in just one day. (Elliot is a tabby that looks just like yours. :) ) We took him in at the morning and picked him up that evening. It took a day for the anesthesia to completely wear off but, by the second day, he was acting like nothing ever happened.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their neuter is scheduled for the end of the month and I am nervous!
as said, neutering on healthy males is usually no big deal. The deal may be if you think you harm their personality or such... Which you arent either. :)

Just prepare some by not letting them eat hours before. to lessen up the risk they vomit during anestesia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as said, neutering on healthy males is usually no big deal. The deal may be if you think you harm their personality or such... Which you arent either. :)

Just prepare some by not letting them eat hours before. to lessen up the risk they vomit during anestesia.
Mostly I worry about the aftercare. Everyone says that their kittens are up and bouncing around as if nothing ever happened - And that's what has me worried! They love to roughhouse with one another. I can't help but think that they're going to hurt each other.

We finally got the date and before care instructions though!! They're set to be neutered next Tuesday.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that’s an issue but not a lot to worry about.

For the first day or so, the kitten will be groggy and won’t want to play much. That’s the most critical time…the first few days. After that, there should be enough healing that they’ll be okay.

If you do see activity that worries you just put the kitten in a quiet room, by itself.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TobiDaDog TobiDaDog - If I were you, I'd make sure that none of the 'new-fangled' pain control meds are used with these two.....

There are two relatively new forms of a very popular opioid drug called buprenorphine. These new formulae have been shown here to cause extreme excitation and hyperactivity for days! (Can you imagine adding that into what you already have? HooooooLeeeee!!!) These newer versions are billed as "long-acting" and come in injectible, spot-on and transdermal formats.

There are lots of alternatives......but, you'll need to speak with either the Vet or the senior Vet Techs to ensure a b etter alternative.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
TobiDaDog TobiDaDog - If I were you, I'd make sure that none of the 'new-fangled' pain control meds are used with these two.....

There are two relatively new forms of a very popular opioid drug called buprenorphine. These new formulae have been shown here to cause extreme excitation and hyperactivity for days! (Can you imagine adding that into what you already have? HooooooLeeeee!!!) These newer versions are billed as "long-acting" and come in injectible, spot-on and transdermal formats.

There are lots of alternatives......but, you'll need to speak with either the Vet or the senior Vet Techs to ensure a b etter alternative.
For sure! I didn't know that, so thanks for the heads up. We definitely do not need two extra-wired kittens running around post surgery. Yeesh!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

We CAN be calm! I got these guys a ramen bed and they've both been taking turns napping in it all day next to the furnace vent. Every time I find them curled up together though and try to sneak off to grab my camera, I turn around to find that one of them has woken up to follow me.
🤦‍♀️

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20240118_212437.jpg

Meanwhile, his brother follows me around constantly yowling to be picked up. He's started throwing his arms straight into the air the second I reach for him like a little baby demanding "uppies."

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had to buy a second cat carrier. When I got the instructions for the neuter, I was surprised to learn that each kitten needed to be picked up and dropped off in their own carrier. Our normal vet was okay with us bringing them both in one carrier for vaccinations and checkups.

I ordered two "small cat tags" a while back that turned out to be too big for even a dog to wear comfortably. Too big to wear, but they look nice on the bags. So now they have matching carriers with their names on them. ❤
20240118_213409.jpg

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still thinking Tato is going to have medium length fur! He has such a puffy little tail.

But speak of the devil with those carriers...my sister called me this morning and said that one of her outdoor cats is very sick and she doesn't know what's wrong. It's just very lethargic and won't eat. She isn't the type to vaccinate or anything and actually asked me if cats could catch sickness! But she told me that she wanted to take her cat to the vet and asked if she could borrow a carrier. I, being a bit paranoid, didn't want to offer her my soft bags for fear that her cat might have a contagious illness. But she asks to borrow my carriers a few times a year...so I had actually bought and stashed a $4 used pet taxi in my garage just for her a few months ago. It finally came in handy today! I hope her cat is alright.

20240119_093007.jpg

20240119_092641.jpg

20240119_142501.jpg

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TobiDaDog TobiDaDog !

About vaccines, current thinking for indoor cats is that only the initial vaccination protocol is needed for lifetime protection. That would mean for a kitten, two vaccinations about 2 weeks apart.....and, no more, ever. For an adult cat with an unknown history, a one-time vaccination is all that's needed. Knowing how horrible it is to have a cat come down with panleuk, I can't see how anyone could deliberately not have their cats vaccinated. If it's of any help, here's the 'take' on vaxing from a 'hip' holistic Vet: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

About your pix of these two.........I'm not sure I can take much more of this.....you keep posting and I might just come by your place ....by night...and scoop them away! OMG, they are sooooooooooo perfect!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Home safe! Both are doing well and the vet did find that missing bean. She said they were just extremely tiny. 😅

Both kittens are fine but loopy as can be. They've been taking turns carrying around a plastic fork for an hour. Fine by me, it's keeping them distracted from one other and their wounds.

VideoCapture_20240123-141436.jpg
VideoCapture_20240123-141400.jpg
VideoCapture_20240123-141340.jpg
20240123_141457.jpg
VideoCapture_20240123-141216.jpg