A Humane Way To Deal With Rats Outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we hadn't seen any rats in quite awhile so we started to put some seeds on a corner near the cellar door since we saw the chipmunk around and he/she did get a lot of them which made us happy! Then I would see a squirrel so I put some there for them too, then we saw another squirrel and yesterday we saw the rat(s) again, those buggers somehow must've smelled it! I saw 1 last night (full grown) and Deb saw 2 a bit later, so we have to "cut it off" again but like she said the chippy will be hibernating soon so it's okay, the squirrels probably have "squirrled away" food but we have to put a stop to it, somehow they smelled it and came back again, ugh!!!!

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Live traps and take them far away, into wilderness, away from other people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Live traps and take them far away, into wilderness, away from other people.
I think if we just stop feeding everything again they will move on like they did before, but they either moved close by and smelled it or they have a terrific sense of smell which someone did tell me!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in a city with constant construction, we have a huge rat problem.

It seems as if it is impossible to control, it is so rampant. I have been fortunate to not 'bump' into any, but my cousin and his neighbor did when they were putting up a fence. Their tunnels are massive...

I do not know what the solution is.. I really do not.. In the city, they are making everyone use a very strong, hinged lidded, plastic container for trash, and nothing else..

It seems to be a never ending problem.

I know Boston is also hiring professional exterminators.. I think we had some in the city, at one time.. did not solve the problem.