A few questions from a first time foster mom w/ 4 orphans

jillosity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings! My name is Jill and I am currently fostering 4 orphan kittens found by a friend of a friend at about 3 weeks of age. They're now about 5 weeks old, everyone eats well and they're very happy kittens, I've got a few concerns about weaning and litter box issues.

With weaning, I've gotten them all to eat the slurry with no problem, they all love it, I now need to convince them that eating off of a plAte is an even better way to eat. And I have 4 kittens to keep track of, they are in my utility room in a crate that measures about 18x18x24 inches and the whole space is very small maybe 6 feet by 6 feet. This is what I'm thinking of doing, block off some little nooks and crannies to keep them safe while loose, then spread a fleece blanket on the floor and set a plate of food in the middle and then let them out of the crate and see what happens. I hope that if 1 of them figures it out then the rest will follow. Any thoughts? Wrangling and feeding 4 hungry kittens has been quite a trial by fire so far [emoji]128568[/emoji]

The other issue is the litter box. I've had 1 in the crate with them for over a week, and I see them sometime scratching around and sometimes it looks like it's been used, but they also pile in there and sleep or play. Plus its very cramped in there and needless to say they're not using it regularly. There's a few ppl trying to find these guys homes but I want to be able to say they're litter box trained. Of course I had a kitten years ago who used his box immediately and all these guys need is more space?

Ithqnks for any help

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like they need more space.  If you kitten-proof the room, you can make a bed area, a food area, and put down some litter boxes.  They will need a few options so one is always in sight.  Use baking trays or box tops so they are low to the ground, and be sure to only use non-clumping litter,  When they have accidents, put the poop or paper towel soaked in pee in the boxes.  You can also place them in the boxes before and after meals.

For eating, you should have dry food for kittens down all the time now, in addition to water bowls.  You can feed the slurry 3-4 times a day.  Paper plates are a great option.  They'll get messy, but they will get the idea.

Thanks for taking these guys in!  Will their new owners be sure to spay and neuter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Talking Peanut said it all.

Minced meat are often used here (most meats are OK, but not from pigs, unless cooked), or children food (flarvorless) for example the Gerber turkey or chicken are classics.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Talking Peanut said it all.

Minced meat are often used here (most meats are OK, but not from pigs, unless cooked), or children food (flarvorless) for example the Gerber turkey or chicken are classics.
Good idea!  Just be sure there is no onion or garlic in the baby food, only meat.  Onion and garlic are toxic.  Royal Canin makes great kitten food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jillosity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That would all work great if I could kitten proof if, but it's not possible, there's no door and the dryer is back there, plus it leads onto the carport and kitchen so if I let them loose they might dart out the door. So my little set up I described would be temporary just for when they eat. I've not given them any kibbles yet, don't they need to be soaked the first few times?

I love cats so I said yes to these guys without really understanding what I was getting myself ( and the kittens!) into. I'm actually thinking they need to be in s better foster situation than I can provide.

Spay/neuter is essential!

Thanks for the quick reply

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its sometimes to help to soak the kibble.   Some tricks works for some, others not...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there another room you could put them in? Even a bathroom or walkin closet? They need space now.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you make a bigger space for them by cutting cardboard boxes and taping them together to create a pen?  Make sure the sides are high, it won't be long before they figure out how to climb. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jillosity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't have any extra rooms or even a closet, I will look for big boxes, they have been climbing in earnest for a week and a half so that's done, but cardboard might be impervious to claws.

I'm going g to try the setup I described because it's the best i can do, I'll post about how it worked in case others might be wondering how/if it works.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, post pictures when you figure it out.  Wendydelmo has a wading pool but her kittens are learning to escape.  Norachan used a crate for kittens w/3 levels.  Sweetlynn86 uses a portable playpen but the kittens need supervision because the mesh is easy to climb.  Someone else used one of these