A feral is bedding next to our house and spraying...

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, initially we had thought that our Howie had done something really bad in our downstairs. The whole wreaked of cat pee! After a thorough investigation, we never found any spots though. Besides, he's never done anything like that before.

A few weeks later it happened again! This time, we put two and two together and realized that the smell happened when the windows open. We investigated and found where a feral has been bedding in some plants next to our downstairs window....and spraying.

I've watched Howie's behavior and noticed that he is spending a lot of time staring at that window, and seems spooked about the whole area. He's a bit if a nervous cat anyways, so he doesn't need this stress!

What should we do about this? The current situation isn't going to work for any of us....

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually feel for the feral male outside.

There are so few options for finding a somewhat safe place to rest, and it's no fault of his, he is an innocent who was one of the countless cats born unwanted.

It is also not his fault that he sprays, it is nature's way.

The ideal option imo is to set a trap and get him neutered, then return him there and let him have some food.

In about 3 weeks his hormones will have settled into a neutered state and the spraying will stop, as well as your kitty's intimidation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything against the feral! He's just doing what comes naturally to him. We just can't let things stay the way they are, because he is intimidating our cat and we would like to be able to open our windows...

I have heard that if you neuter a feral that they will loose all respect from the other cats and end up being beaten up... Is that true?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there any vets near you that would do a low cost neuter if you were able to trap him for a TNR?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely not.

What happens is, he will no longer stand up to an unfixed male who is protecting his territory.

The drive to mate is gone so he will not fight anymore, and if he encounters other males it is not with intent to mate and he will not fight for it as he would unfixed, no, he will simply move on.

Very glad you don't blame him, poor guy! :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that if you neuter a feral that they will loose all respect from the other cats and end up being beaten up... Is that true?
To add to @catwoman707's excellent reply, cats don't have the ego that humans do. They don't feel "less manly" or "ashamed". These are human-created gender roles or masculinity.