A Dying Cat Is Taking Cbd Oil

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is dying from fibrosarcoma that was diagnosed last year and removed last November. Two months later it came roaring back. Right now the size of the tumor is like an apple :((( . I can see that it started to bother him and his behavior is a bit different from before (less vocal and active). I know this will just keep going downhill, so I did some research on the net and started giving him cbd oil for a few days now. I mix it with his canned food. The strange thing is that it didn't bother him to eat that at first. And I have noticed that his tumor hasn't grown quite as fast (or maybe it is just my imagination, since I want him to get better). However, for the last couple days, I have been having a hard time feeding him with the oil. He is not "quite" enthusiastic about his food. And his food preference is very selective, because when I give him some regular food, like chicken or sausage that I cook, he will be purring and running to the food. It seems like the cancer cells are telling him not to eat the cbd oil mixed food. Or maybe he got sick of it. I don't know. How can I make the cbd oil food more appealing to him? I know he only has a few months left (if at all). I am trying to keep him with me as long as I can. It'll be tough, because this will be the first cat that I lose (to death anyway).

Thanks in advance

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your little guy. Have you tried canned tuna in water to see if that would entice him to eat it with the cbd oil in it? If not that, salmon, or even Gerber Baby Food Stage 2 meats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your little guy. Have you tried canned tuna in water to see if that would entice him to eat it with the cbd oil in it? If not that, salmon, or even Gerber Baby Food Stage 2 meats?
He'd probably like canned fish. He loves to eat, but I don't know how well it will mask the cbd oil smell. Worth a try.

Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've got Feeby's paws crossed for him that the tuna works. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Let us know if it works! If not, we'll come up with some more ideas, to be sure.

Also, when you feel up to it - and if you would like to share - we would love to have a pic of him and a name.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, it's probably your imagination. Unless you're getting a high quality marijuana dispensary-type CBD oil. I just don't know about the purity and potency of hemp-based CBD oils that are available online or at pet suppy stores or even if they contain CBD at all. Whereas, in the marijuana markets (medical or recreational), the purity and potency must be tested and accurately labeled. It's the law.

That out of the way...

When I was getting my Krista through pancreatitis, I very quickly came to the agreement with her that any medicine or supplement, that I need to be sure she eats it all, doesn't belong in her food. Besides turning her off of eating, or turning her off a particular food, the other reason not to put medicine in food is that they have to eat all the food to get all the medicine. That becomes stressful if they are already having issues eating like with pancreatitis, or cancer I would imagine.

So how did I get her to take her "medicine stack"? (She was getting several supplements to heal and seal her gut from IBD as well as probiotics and medical marijuana CBD oil to prevent vomiting. I couldn't give her Cerenia because that would make her anorexic. Counterproductive!) So how did I get her to take her "poison" so she could have yummy unmedicated food after? I prepared a tiny tray, like the lid of a sauce cup, about an inch square. I'll see if I can dig up a picture later. I took the oil and the powders I was giving her and made as tight a slurry at the back of the tray. If you're not giving your guy any powders, you might be able to use something he might like such as freeze-dried liver treats (Pure Vita makes these) powdered up. The powder helps bind the oil into a tight ball. The smaller you can make that ball, the quicker your guy can eat it up and be done. For the rest of the tray, use whatever slop or enticements that make him happy to eat this treat tray as often as you have to give the oil. If he likes mousse toppers, they would probably work great here. For my Krista, it was a mix of tuna in water (Pure Bites or Reveal make these) and nutritional gel (Cat Cal or Nutri-Cal). She'd willingly start with the tuna in water, then she'd hit the "Krista Crack" layer and kicked it in another gear. She loves the nutritional gel! It was within a small ribbon of this gel that I would hide the oil ball. When the oil ball was too big for that, I'd stretch it along the back edge (that's when it's helpful to have the oil bound to powder so you can shape it with a spoon or fork) and place the gel just in front of that. To lick up all the gel, she had no choice but to take the "poison" layer too. It usually took her less than a minute to eat through the medicine tray. When she had licked that clean, I would serve her yummy food without any "poison". ;) This way she doesn't associate food with medicine.

Krista may associate tuna with medicine, but c'mon, it's tuna! She still loves it despite how many times I've tried to poison her with it. :D This is also why I only give her tuna when I need her to take medicine or when she has stopped eating anything else. This way tuna remains to have its special treat appeal despite the medicine that's usually hiding behind it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tldr; nutrional gel is like crack to many cats. You may be able to get him to eat the oil if you mix it with the gel.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista and her medicine tray.

"Finish your poison, and you can have your food!"
krista-med-stack.JPG

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry that you and your cat are undergoing all these.
Hang in there.