a declawed cat and the outdoors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her and another kitty home last week and she is the sweetest and prettiest cat I've ever known. She so cuddly and she loves me and my son. She's always following me around, "talking" to me and purring when she's stroked. I'm so happy with my new family members. The other cat was very shy at the beginning (she had some very bad experiences) but now she just loves sitting on my lap. You could see she was yearning for someone to love her.

Yesterday I ordered the fence as they're both unhappy with staying indoors. They will sit on front of my French windows and meow unhappily for a long time. In my experience, once a cat has knows what it's like to be outdoors, you just can't keep it indoors. They were both abandoned and had to fence for themselves.

The electrical fence is rather like a Purrfect fence only with the added benefit that the currant will keep other cats out. The voltage is very low, just to make it uncomfortable to touch but not painful. I need this in order to keep other cats out so that my kitties are safe. And I will always be around when they're outside.

So thank you all again for encouraging me to take her. You just made my life so much richer.

clevercat04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a declawed cat who tries to go outside all the time.  I think it really depends on whether your neighborhood is safe for a cat and doesn't have another clawed cat.  If you let your cat  go out supervision is usually  required because if your cat gets hurt it will try to mark it's territory by peeing everywhere!

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad had a cat that was de-clawed that went outside unsupervised and did just fine, he lived a long life. He caught birds, mice, moles etc. The other cats in the neighborhood learned to leave him alone because when he swatted at something it was more like a heavy weight boxer looking for his knock out. He also had no problems jumping up onto their 6ft fence and he seemed to find a way onto the neighbors roof. He was one of my favorite cats that I have encountered, he weighed about 18lbs and looked like a miniature black panther right down to the shorter ears and really long tail. That being said I think it has a lot to do with how young he was declawed and the age at which he was allowed to go outside. My dads cat obviously had learned how to cope without his claws.

Last edited: