A Couple Questions

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we finally brought home our new kitty today! He's a 5 year old diluted orange male. His name is Oliver which we had planned to change but like a dog, he comes when called so it will have to stick.

Right now he is mostly hiding under the bed. He did his rounds, I showed him the litter box as well as his food/water which he only took a bite or two of before walking off. He is a friendly cat but he "growls" if I come near his food dish. I've never had a cat do this before so I don't know what to think of it or what to do about it if anything? He just growls, no biting or attacking otherwise but I don't want him to start that. I'm not sure what to make of this behavior?

Also, any ideas on warming him up to me? He does come when called and enjoys being pet but still is hiding more than anything.

Oh and he has NOT used the litter box yet! Should I be worried? It has only been about 4 hours but I would have thought he would have needed to go by now? Maybe I'm just paranoid. Lol!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love orange kitties.  It's going to take some time.  Can you confine him to the room that he has kind of staked out for awhile?  Spend time in the room with him but not necessarily trying to force interaction.  Just be in the room with him and talk while your in there so he can get used to your scent and the sound of your voice.  He will come around when he is ready.  Kitties are pretty notorious for having a rough time with change.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and he has NOT used the litter box yet! Should I be worried? It has only been about 4 hours but I would have thought he would have needed to go by now? Maybe I'm just paranoid. Lol!
I wouldn't worry. 4 hours is a very short time. Stressed out cats in a new environment can hold it in for a long time. My Jed didn't come out to pee or poop for 2 days. Don't let it go beyond 2 days though. The first couple of days is always very stressful for both you and kitty.

As for the growling, that sounds like a feral/stray cat behavior. Do you know anything about his past? Some cats who live outside for a long time learn to be extremely protective of their food, where they had to fight with other cats for it. Right now he doesn't know you yet. It will be some time - I can't say for sure how long, it differs with cats - before he trusts you.

Once he is settled comfortably - as in he stops hiding and feels safe around you and the house - you can try to sit maybe a few feet away from his dish when he eats. Do this for a few days, and then move a few inches towards his dish bowl. Keep doing this. The idea is to let him know that you are not a threat, once you put down his food, it's his and only his. If he runs off or growls as you move nearer, you are doing it too fast and should back away and repeat the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he went pee last night while we stepped out for a couple hours. He also seems to now be warming up to us. We both laid on the floor and gave him ear scratches which he LOVES and also brought his box, food and water into the bedroom which seems to have helped. He seemed scared of the rest of the house at first but is now going out of the bedroom on his own which is good. I'm not sure WHY being outside of the bedroom made him so nervous, it's just my fiance and I here. We're a quiet couple with no children or other pets in the house ATM aside from my turtle. I think he spent a lot of time in his previous owners bedroom though (away from their dog) so maybe it naturally feels more comfortable?

His past has been a well cared for one, aside from his previous owner not knowing how awful declawing a cat is. But she has had him and his sister since they were kittens and they're now 5. Always been indoors. I do wonder though if he is still worried about needing to guard food since of course they had his sister eating from the same free fed bowl but also had a dog who harassed him which is why they rehomed him. They also have a 2 year old so I don't know if that added any harassment or stress.

He really is a friendly cat! When we went to meet him he was ALL over us! Even coming home he seemed like he WANTED to be around us but he was scared. Like I said, he would come when called and enjoyed being pet but any bump (ie. Our neighbors moving around upstairs) would leave him back in the room under the bed. I think it was just plopping him from everything he ever knew put him in a small bit of shock but he does now seem to be coming around with lots of ear scratching and treats. He even laid with us in bed last night, his own choice to do so!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He seemed scared of the rest of the house at first but is now going out of the bedroom on his own which is good. I'm not sure WHY being outside of the bedroom made him so nervous, it's just my fiance and I here. We're a quiet couple with no children or other pets in the house ATM aside from my turtle. 

Even coming home he seemed like he WANTED to be around us but he was scared. Like I said, he would come when called and enjoyed being pet but any bump (ie. Our neighbors moving around upstairs) would leave him back in the room under the bed. I think it was just plopping him from everything he ever knew put him in a small bit of shock ...
That's pretty much it. To a cat, the new house is a big scary place. Their ears are extremely sensitive to noise, so any noise that seem normal to you puts kitty on heightened alert. Give him time.