a cat that won't eat homemade or raw meat

donna cardinale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made cat food from raw beef liver for many years when I lived in Mexico City, and there was no commercial cat food to buy.  I cut the liver into small pieces and froze it in small bags.  It was a very slimy, despicable job, but I did it for years.  I tried cooking it first, but she wouldn't eat it like that.  I was very happy when Friskies canned and dry food finally started to be imported to Mexico.  She liked that food, and lived for almost 20 years.

Now that I'm back in the good 'ol USA I've generally used a combination of canned and dry.  This current 4 years old cat I have now, Newman, refuses to eat anything except dry food (usually Iams Naturals), and drinks a lot of water from a cat fountain.  Sometimes he does eat a little canned pate like a supplement, but only for a couple of weeks at a time, and only one flavor.  I offer him raw meat sometimes, or cooked meat or fish, and he refuses it. I've never had a cat like this. He is a little overweight (@ 15.5 lbs.).  I worry about him not getting enough protein.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Out of curiousity, did you feed your cat exclusively beef liver, and for how many years?

There are lots of resources with advice for switching dry food addicts to raw food.  There is one on the felinenutrition.org website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donna cardinale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave her beef liver most of the time for several years before Friskies came. Occasionally she got a little milk and raw egg yoke. She was also a good hunter...birds, mice, lizards.
Thanks for the link. Maybe it will help Newman.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a great article for kibble addicts:[article="31138"][/article]
It takes patience and perseverance, but I'm sure you'll be able to get Newman onto a diet that you feel better about feeding. Cutting out the kibble should really help you get his weight down a little too :)