A Cat Called Carpet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We lost our little Carpet on January 25th. She was the second cat to leave us this month. When I first started doing TNR and taking care of the feral cats in my neighbourhood there seemed to be an endless stream of cats that needed help and kittens that needed rehoming. Now all of those kittens are 11, 12 or 13 years old and one by one they're reaching the end of their lives. It's a sad time, but I want to focus on all the joy that Carpet brought us.

Carpet1.jpg

She was just a tiny little dot the first time I saw her. Her mother had three litters before I was finally able to get her spayed and Carpet and her sisters were the second litter born. Her three sisters, Chicken, Twinkle and Sadie, were fairly big but Carpet was so small. She had a short, twisted tail and a slightly deformed jaw that means her teeth didn't align properly, but she was just adorable.

Carpet14.jpg

I was able to bring all the kittens indoors and started getting them proper vet care and plenty of good food. Carpet grew into a beautiful, long haired girl. Some of the feral kittens I took in was always a bit skittish, but Carpet was a total love bug. She'd stand up on her back legs and make these little squeaks when she wanted to be picked up, she loved nothing more that to be petted and groomed.

Carpet40.jpg

She stayed with us for nearly 12 years. In the past year she started to lose weight and our vet told us her kidneys were starting to fail. I hope the medication made her a bit more comfortable, even if it didn't buy her that much more time.

Carpet97.jpg

She started to lose her appetite a few weeks ago. At first she could be tempted with some of her favourite treats, but after a few days I had to resort to syringe feeding her. She tolerated this for a while, but then she stopped eating and drinking. I knew she was on her way out. We lost Albert to kidney failure on the 16th and I felt that I'd made a mistake with him. I should have asked the vet to help him pass on his last day, rather than asking for him to be given fluids. I didn't want Carpet to suffer, but she didn't seem to be in any distress at all.

I wrapped her in a blanket and put her on the sofa where she could enjoy the winter sun. Our other cats took turns at coming to lie next to her. Carpet gradually fell into a deeper and deeper sleep and then she was gone.

We've buried her next to her sister, Chicken, who left us a few years ago. My two sweet girls are together again.

Carpet3.jpg

Carpet, thank you for spending your whole life with me. You were a special little cat and I'm grateful for every moment we had together. Sleep peacefully darling. I'll take care of your sisters until they're ready to join you.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see how sweet Carpet got her name! That first photo is adorable! Hard to imagine her having a more sensitive or caring guardian during her long life. I am sorry you are going through so many passings lately. Take heart in the fact that you are inspiring others to get involved with TNR through your threads…I am still mourning my own cat, but this thread is starting to give me the strength to consider this path…

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute for a beautiful kitty. She was so lucky to have lived, and passed, surrounded by caring humans and all her kitty family.

So very sorry for your loss, Laura, especially so soon after Albert's passing. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweet Carpet. :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard to accept that there is an end to their lives. I am happy she did get so many years of love and happiness, she could not have found a better caregiver! She is so lucky, and I am sure is loving you still from that new path she follows!
It is so tough to see them decline. But it sounds like you did just right, allowing her to die at home surrounded by all that love. She thanks you for that I am sure.
I have heard that cats do not fear death, that they are not able to process the future like we do. I pray that is true. They live each and every day to the fullest. what a wonderful way to go through life!
Her bond of love with your soul is permanent, she will always be a part of you. She has brought so much love and happiness to your life, I can't imagine you never meeting her. she was meant to be in your life. Although this is another sad period in your life, eventually time will change that grief into a gratitude for her sharing your life's journey. May you be blessed for taking care of,and loving, so many of these precious little souls.
My heart goes out to you in this time of pain, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Take care......Rip dear Carpet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Carpet, dream you deep. Your little squeaks resound in someone's heart forever.

Because of your great, gentle, loving spirit this little girl had her being wrapped in love. And she left This Adventure with that love beside her. There is no greater gift that we can give. And now her love, translated and purified into Love, has come back to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Whenever I see you in my imagination, I see you with the little Love-shadows of all the cats you have rescued over the years. They trot along behind you, twining tails, headbonking, always at your heels. It is obscurely comforting for me, and I hope it is for you, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your kind words.

:grouphug2:

Take heart in the fact that you are inspiring others to get involved with TNR through your threads…I am still mourning my own cat, but this thread is starting to give me the strength to consider this path…
It is a rewarding thing to do. We're sad for all the cats that have reached the end of their lives. But it's good to know they lived longer and more comfortably than they would have otherwise done.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
❤❤❤
I fostered a kitten and named her carpet too but in French (tapis). She was similar to your Carpet.
She was certainly loved and enjoyed her time with you and with her siblings.
Cats are a blessing even tho sometimes they can be a handful.