A Breeding Chronicle

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a quick question.

When I look at your third picture with the blue-point boy and seal-point girl I can't see a difference. Could you tell me or point out the difference? I hope you don't mind my asking I was just curious. Thanks!!

They are gorgeous by the way!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course I don't mind you asking!

Digital pictures are always subject to the color temperature of the monitor displaying them, so it can be tricky to tell them apart by seeing their pics.

In "real life", you can clearly see the nose and ears on the front kitten are blue whereas the nose and ears on the kitten towards the back are brown.

In fact, they will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I had hoped the rain would stop long enough to allow a couple more good, natural light photos to be taken today, but at the moment, I think it would be best for me to focus upon building an ark. I already have the Siamese cat-pair assembled ... so there's a start. *LOL*

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rain, rain go away....
We want to see more pictures of Lexus's beautiful babies.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
...and proud papa

Gaye, I needed the ark over the weekend, you can borrow mine!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh! I get it!
If you had not explained I would have had it backward.

So the blue-point babies are lighter in color in their nose and feet than the Seal-point babies. See this old kitty can learn new tricks.

Thanks for answering!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of the babies are adorable!! I just want to kiss those pretty pink bellies and cute noses!!
I have really enjoyed all the pictures. I have been busy with us all being sick, I missed being able to congratulate you, Lexus, and Tonka on your pretty babies!! I can't wait for another sunny day for more pictures!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This will be the last post in this thread, but I do have to make a clarification on something ... when I posted way back when about the genders, I was mistaken; there are two boys and two girls. A Seal Point boy and girl and a Blue Point boy and girl.

The kittens are now 12 weeks old and 3 of them will be leaving this upcoming Saturday to go to their new homes. Here are a few of the latest pictures of them:

The Blue Point Boy - notice the crossed eyes

The Blue Point Girl:

The Seal Point Boy:

and last, but certainly not by any means least, the Seal Point Girl:

It has been both an honor and a pleasure to share my heart and home with these babies. While I am deeply saddened by the loss of them from my home, it brings me joy at the same time to know they will be bringing happiness to other families. The Koreans have a word for this; "Han". There is no English translation, really - but it can be described as a state of mind where there is great sadness while still possessing great hope.

I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing this litter will all of you here at TCS. Thanks to everyone who enjoyed this thread - and my heartfelt thanks to Lexus and Tonka for producing yet another stunningly beautiful, completely healthy litter of babies.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Gaye, they are just stunningly gorgeous!
Their forever families sure are lucky! Thank you for sharing them with us.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lexus & Tonka...your babies are absolutely beautiful.
:
I really envy the families who will be welcoming your georgous babies into their lives.

Thank you Gaye for sharing sharing this experience with us.
Congratulations to all.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have also loved reading your breeding journal, hearing the details in a spin only you could give. *big smile* The pictures of your 4 babies are beautiful, I can imagine how much you are going to miss them. I hope all the adoptive families will stay in very close contact and update you with pictures often.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just read the whole thread, and I think it is a wonderful idea!

I really enjoyed this thread

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>
Tonka is a Blue Point carrying chocolate and lilac and Lexus is a Seal Point carrying lilac. From what I understand of the color genetics, they should be able to produce all four self-colors, however, they have produced only Blue Points and Seal Points to date. Maybe someone here can correct me if I am wrong about being able to produce chocolate and lilac.
<snip>
A blue-point can produce chocolate and lilac-points if it carries chocolate.  A seal-point can produce lilac if it carries chocolate and dilute.

So if you are correct about what they carry, their genotypes are Bbdd (Tonka) and BbDd (Lexus).

So, Tonka has a gene for Black (B), one for chocolate (b), and two genes for dilute.  Lexus also has one for Black and one for Chcoclate, but she only has one gene for dilute (d) and it's masked by the dominant normal version (D).

What colours could they produce?

Both are Bb, so offspring are BB (Seal), Bb (Seal carrying chocolate), bB (Seal carrying chocolate) and bb (chocolate).

One is dd and one is Dd, so here you have Dd and dd as the possibilities - half dominant and half dilute.  The version of D/d they inherit from Lexus is the key.

So overall you need 8 babies to represent all the possible outcomes:

BBDd - Seal carrying dilute

BbDd - Seal carrying chocolate and dilute (Seal from Tonka, Chocolate from Lexus)

bBDd - Seal carrying chocolate and dilute (Chocolate from Tonka, Seal from Lexus)

bbDd - Chocolate

BBdd - blue

bBdd - blue carrying chocolate

Bbdd - blue carrying chocolate

bbdd - lilac

So, 3/8 of the kittens should be seal, 3/8 blue, 1/8 chocolate and 1/8 lilac.  Big emphasis on *should* - my friend bred colour-point british shorthair and several matings that should have produced a lilac self never did! 

I don't know how many kittens these two have produced, nor have I seen their pedigrees.  Have either ever produced a chocolate or lilac kitten in another mating?  Have either ever mated with a chocolate or lilac?  That means you should get 1/2 seal/blue and 1/2 chocolate/lilac.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Tonka is a Blue Point carrying chocolate and lilac and Lexus is a Seal Point carrying lilac. From what I understand of the color genetics, they should be able to produce all four self-colors, however, they have produced only Blue Points and Seal Points to date. Maybe someone here can correct me if I am wrong about being able to produce chocolate and lilac.

A blue-point can produce chocolate and lilac-points if it carries chocolate.  A seal-point can produce lilac if it carries chocolate and dilute.

So if you are correct about what they carry, their genotypes are Bbdd (Tonka) and BbDd (Lexus).
So, Tonka has a gene for Black (B), one for chocolate (b), and two genes for dilute.  Lexus also has one for Black and one for Chcoclate, but she only has one gene for dilute (d) and it's masked by the dominant normal version (D).

What colours could they produce?

Both are Bb, so offspring are BB (Seal), Bb (Seal carrying chocolate), bB (Seal carrying chocolate) and bb (chocolate).

One is dd and one is Dd, so here you have Dd and dd as the possibilities - half dominant and half dilute.  The version of D/d they inherit from Lexus is the key.

So overall you need 8 babies to represent all the possible outcomes:

BBDd - Seal carrying dilute
BbDd - Seal carrying chocolate and dilute (Seal from Tonka, Chocolate from Lexus)
bBDd - Seal carrying chocolate and dilute (Chocolate from Tonka, Seal from Lexus)
bbDd - Chocolate

BBdd - blue
bBdd - blue carrying chocolate
Bbdd - blue carrying chocolate
bbdd - lilac

So, 3/8 of the kittens should be seal, 3/8 blue, 1/8 chocolate and 1/8 lilac.  Big emphasis on *should* - my friend bred colour-point british shorthair and several matings that should have produced a lilac self never did! 

I don't know how many kittens these two have produced, nor have I seen their pedigrees.  Have either ever produced a chocolate or lilac kitten in another mating?  Have either ever mated with a chocolate or lilac?  That means you should get 1/2 seal/blue and 1/2 chocolate/lilac.
This thread is from 2006 and the original poster doesn't visit here that often anymore. It may take a while for you to get a reply. :)