9yr old cat reacts to sight of cat HELP!

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'll try to make the background short. but this might be a little long

I've known my recent rescue for 3years. In January, I went with a friend to visit a person in the hospital. My friend had dumped her 4 cats off to this poor woman (who had no means to care for them and was guilted/harassed into it). When I walked into her house and saw this cat, my heart broke. She was half her normal weight, gaunt looking in her face, skiddish, and had open sores on her back. I begged this cat into my home, I cried when I tried to explain to my husband why she was coming home, I knew she was dying, and at 9yrs old, she didn't deserve it.

It turns out, she had 4 holes in her back, attack wounds, from the other cats a couple so close to her spine the vet was amazed she had feeling in her hindquarters. one of the wounds had turned into a puss pocket. I've brought her back to health, she's now back to the gorgeous happy slightly fat (despite the low fat food) kitty she was before.

Our problem is that she's terrified of other cats. After pooping on my bed 4 times, on two of my coats, I couldn't aruge with my husband to keep her in the bedroom for a slower introduction.

The issue I'm finding is that it's not the smell of my Mamas boy (he's 1.5yr old neutered, shes 9, spayed, and unfortunately declawed) that gets her. She reacts to the sight of him. I've done the trick with taking my shirt that I've slept in and worn a bit, rub it on one cat, stick it under the dish routine, both cats were fine with it.

My original kitty, shows curiosity about her, tries to approach, and will even leave when she doesn't cooperate, but is starting to grow tired of being bossed around a bit, and I'm having little luck introducing them, because as soon as she sees him, she's on pins and needles hair stands up hissing and growling, and then she backs into a corner.

But its sight, he can be in the room, if she cant see him, shes fine, if he's near her, and she sees him and freaks, we've even put a greeting card infront of her and she calmed down instantly.

So I'm not sure how to go about this other than supervising their interactions, keeping them separate when I'm not around, and hoping for the best, and I am more concerned since Madison has his claws, and she does not.

any ideas?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor girl! Bless you for rescuing her and bringing her back to health.

It is sad that she can't be around other cats, so have you thought of finding her a home where she can be the only cat?
If the above is not an option, your vet may have suggestions like consulting a cat behavior expert or subscribe medication (although I am personally against).
Right now, I think it is best she be isolated from the rest. You can try calming remedies like Feliway diffuser.
Hope others can give you more suggestions. Good luck!

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything Yayi said. You might want to keep in mind also that Jan. to March isn't really very long, especially what with the terrible experiences this kitty has had with other cats. It is possible that she may be able to get along with Madison, but it may just take more time. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Poor girl! Bless you for rescuing her and bringing her back to health.

It is sad that she can't be around other cats, so have you thought of finding her a home where she can be the only cat?
If the above is not an option, your vet may have suggestions like consulting a cat behavior expert or subscribe medication (although I am personally against).
Right now, I think it is best she be isolated from the rest. You can try calming remedies like Feliway diffuser.
Hope others can give you more suggestions. Good luck!
I thought about re-homing, but honestly, with as much as she went through, and the two weeks of pooping blood from the stress, Iwould so much rather have her here, she's safe, fed, happy and loved. I know so long as I have her she won't be bounced around or mistreated so I'd rather keep her here.

She has lived with cats her whole life, but the 6months or so she spent there did quite a number on her, the vet warned me she possibly wouldn't fully psychologically recover.

I have considered blindfolding them and having em check eachother out that way, but it seems a little extreme.

if anyone has any cat behavior book suggestions I'd be open to those too, I can tell you with almost 100% certainty I won't find a behaviorist around here for cats

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had good luck with using Composure Liquid (sold on the internet), b vitamin complex (10 mg daily hide it in spirulina or blue green algae) and even lavender theraphy with fearful animals.

You can find cat behavior counselors who will work with you on the phone, many shelter have pet behavior helplines. There are many many good books. Pamela John-Bennett has a book specifically for multi-cat households.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple (females) that react on sight, too. As do some other people on here. Time helps, and I truly hope your girl gets better.
One of mine slowly is, but she still has issues. Like your cat, she doesn't care about scent, another cat could be laying up against her even, but the moment she sees the other cat - specifically makes eye contact of any sort, it sets her off.

Make sure there are plenty of places your girl can go to make her feel more secure. When upset mine runs to me, sits atop the credenza, on their large cardboard box, or atop the cat tree. She feels better that way. She also responds well to destress catnip sessions.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gotta agree with strange wings, I have one kitty who flips at the sight of certain others. She has done serious damage to humans who have gotten between her & other cats before.

I'd give her more time to adjust, and be prepared for her to never be OK with another cat.

ETA: My problem child actually lives mostly separated from the other cats. I rotate around who is enclosed in a room/portion of the house so that they all get equal "out" time, and make sure to spend plenty of time with all the kitties.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Gotta agree with strange wings, I have one kitty who flips at the sight of certain others. She has done serious damage to humans who have gotten between her & other cats before.
Whenever someone mentions that they're cat doesn't like other cats, I think of your Ophelia.
I have one that's just as crazy, myself. She'll throw herself against the lattice and netting to try to get at a neighbor cat.. while screaming.
She's so deceptively sweet and affectionate to people that you'd never guess she's really psycho cat.