9 Yo Desexed Male Dsh With Gi Problems - Possible Ibs/ibd/allergies?

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

I'm having problems with my boy, Stratus. Most of the story is here - Cat Defecating 50% Of The Time Outside Of The Litterbox - Behaviour?

Long story short though, he's 9 years old and has had soft stools all of his life. Up until September of this year, that was his "normal", but that month, he started having blood. After meds, he wasn't getting much better, and he was beginning to defecate on the floor. With the vet's help, we checked bloodwork, urinary tract, fecal testing (including the PCR test that tests for bacteria), and everything came out clean. He's gone through full courses of antibiotics and deworming. He's been put on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food first, and now he's trialing the Science Diet Z/D (which they pronounce as "zed/d" here in Australia - very odd to get used to from the States, haha!). He's still having super runny poos (on my carpet, because I assume they're painful - he pees in the boxes just fine). He frequently (once every...2-3 days now) vomits food, usually after having runny stool (I've watched him physically gag while in the box/on the floor, and then once he's done there, he goes to throw up).

He vet did not check his thyroid, because he is not losing weight at all. She's frequently checked his abdomen to feel for inflammation or obstruction. After this trial with Z/D, she says the next step, if this doesn't help, which it doesn't seem to be, is ultrasound, which I can't afford right now because we have to pay for my visa next week (goodbye, $7,000...). I might just get the thyroid checked anyway (just to rule it out), but that's another $250...but we can probably do that in January. She thinks it is possible he may have IBS or IBD, but the only way to check 100% would be to biopsy, which would be way too expensive, and my husband would not be able to justify spending that much on a cat, even a cat he loves.

Do any of the IBS/IBD "pros" have any input? I would love to know if this sounds like what you've gone through, and maybe some tips and tricks for us to try to see if we can help him out. I love this cat with all of my heart, I want to help him, but I just can't keep forking out money that isn't even mine (I'm unemployed, just lucky that my husband makes enough money to keep us afloat...), and I'm getting worn down by cleaning up the carpet 2-4 times a day...

And no, I'm not saying that as in "I'm gonna get rid of him" - I will never do that. Not only did I spend so much money to bring him here from the States to Australia, but like I said, I raised him. He's my baby. My carpet-messing, smelly baby. <3

Thank you. <3

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure how many people actual get the biopsy done to confirm IBD or not, simply because it IS invasive. BUT, I do think they may start their cats on the treatment for it anyway, if their Vets suspect IBD, and if the treatment works, great!

Here is a website devoted strictly to IBD which has all kinds of information about IBD and how to treat it. I think you might find it helpful. IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time You really need to look at that entire site. For instance, under Medications/Antacids, they discuss vomiting and Bland Foods, etc. I really think it's worth your time to peruse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how many people actual get the biopsy done to confirm IBD or not, simply because it IS invasive. BUT, I do think they may start their cats on the treatment for it anyway, if their Vets suspect IBD, and if the treatment works, great!

Here is a website devoted strictly to IBD which has all kinds of information about IBD and how to treat it. I think you might find it helpful. IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time You really need to look at that entire site. For instance, under Medications/Antacids, they discuss vomiting and Bland Foods, etc. I really think it's worth your time to peruse.
Yeah, I kinda wish my vet suggested trying the treatment anyway, just to see where it goes...I'll make the suggestion in January when I go to get his thyroid checked.

Thank you for the website - I actually spent a good deal of time reading a lot on there after I saw it linked in another IBD kitty thread here...very informative! I think I might start with baby steps - getting onto more of a canned, high-quality meaty diet with the probiotics mentioned, as well as talking to the vet about corticosteroids...

We're also going to take the suggestion of another member here, in regards to his messing the carpet - putting vinyl or tile or something over the floor where he tends to poop (so that it's easier to clean), but my jaded mind thinks he'll probably just move to the next bit of carpet that isn't covered, haha. But we'll give it a try anyway!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you think that this might still be some sort of food allergy, you might look into some of the novel protein cat foods. You can google that and find a HOST of brands, information, etc. There are several that are not only novel proteins, but grain- and additive-free, as well. And that probably would be a good thing if it is IBD.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I already know he doesn't do well on Kangaroo, haha!

Seriously though, I'll look into that as well, thank you :)

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about letting your kitty trying our raw diet? My kitty had the soft stool issue.After he is on raw diet, his poo is odourless and well formed now. I gave him probiotics too once a week.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That might be another step along the way, but it would take some time before we could get to a full-on raw diet, and I'd have to do way more research about that. Baby steps first!