9 week old kitten hissing

kittybeauty22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a very sweet and adorable approx 9 week kitten (stray) she has been to the vet and is luckily very healthy. I've had her for about 2 weeks now. She is so full of life and I'm in love with her. Used the litter box perfect and I don't have any other cats, only a pug dog. My question.. She has been hissing at my boyfriend when he goes to pick her up or pet her. She doesn't bite or otherwise be aggressive, just hisses. She has never hissed at me. She has bonded more with me I've noticed. He's commented about the hissing and I'm not sure why she would do it? He hasn't bumped her or anything, actually I've bumped her on accident and she's not scared of me or anything so I'm not sure what do u guys think?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very common. The little girl just needs time to learn to trust him. I suggest rather then your boyfriend bending down towards her, have him sit or lay on the floor. Have him offer her treats and some play. Wand toys are good for this. Have him allow her to come to him. He can put his hand out on the floor, palm down or like a fist to allow her to smell him. Just give her some time and she'll come around towards him.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When i adopted Jet, she was a 10 week old stray kitten. She used to hiss at EVERYONE including me. over time she got comfortable with me, but still hissed at my boyfriend if he got too close or tried to pick her up. i suggested he bring her food when its feeding time...and when she's eating, he should pet her and praise her, or just talk to her. he's been doing that for a few weeks (along with myself). she no longer hisses at anyone (in the house anyways). her behavior towards my boyfriend is also slowly improving. She will voluntarily come to him for pets, and i catch her cuddling with him sometimes. She still bolts if he makes any sudden movements, or if he goes to pick her up, but they're definitely making progress.