8 Year Old Brothers Suddenly Fighting !!

Kerrygt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Romeo and Rafikki are 8 year old Burmese males who are neutered, indoor cats, and who have lived in harmony up until 3 months ago. They have suddenly started fighting and I am now desperate !! We have tried Feliway, Anxitane, Calm Ease and Tranquility tablets from Australia. Last week, in desparation , I took them to our beach cottage (2 hrs away) to see a vet . On arriving at the cottage , they were once again happy and lovable and there was not one fight. The vet saw them and said they are both healthy. After staying there for 4 days I returned home and the fighting started up immediately . Nothing has changed in our home but there is a feral cat in our yard. We are trying to catch it and I v put up 2 sonic devices. Does anyone think that my cats will stop fighting once we v got rid of the feral cat ? I have separated them but as soon as i let them out together, Rafikki starts cowering and hides under a chair, as if he sees Romeo as an enemy. How am I going to fix this?Please can anyone help me.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The feral cat could very well be the problem. It's interesting that once you took them to the cottage they stopped fighting immediately - that means it's likely something environmental and not due to them no recognizing each other, or something like that.

I would do everything you can to catch the feral. It's possible that it has sprayed in your yard and they can smell it or even just the sight of it makes them so agitated that they feel the need to be aggressive and channel that aggression at each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kerrygt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Espalia I really hope it is the feral as we are so, so stressed out !! We live in a village in South Africa where dogs roam the streets and the feral cat situation is out of control(No laws !!! ) but we v arranged to have someone try and catch it next week.At our cottage they clung to each other all day and all night so at least we know that the trigger lies here!! Do you think they will go back to normal when the wild cat goes?

Calmlybreathe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can get a motion detecting sprinkler or something, that can work to deter the feral cat. And yes, aggression and other problems like outside of litter pee can be caused by a feral cat or any cat outside of the house.

Kerrygt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that !1We installed a sonic device yesterday and i sprinkled citronella and lemon essential oils in the garden and today it was on our roof, so maybe that is helping. I let my cats out together in the house just now, and for about an hour they were fine. Suddenly Rafikki started staring at Romeo , then he cowered under the table. Romeo was totally passive???do you think Rafikki suddenly smells the wild cat and thats why he looks at Romeo as if Romeo is an enemy? Oh my shattered nerves, this is so stressful .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also think the feral is probably the cause of the fighting between your cats.

A woman I worked with several years ago had 3 cats who got along well. Then one day, one of the cats saw another cat outside, got spooked, and suddenly began fighting with the other 2. Unfortunately, I no longer work with her, so can't get details, but I do recall that eventually the fighting stopped and they tolerated each other again.

Hopefully when you catch and remove the feral, that will solve your problem. Meanwhile, perhaps you could try separating them and following the steps to introducing new cats:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Good luck.

Kerrygt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much