8 week old kittens refusing to drink water

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been raising a trio of orphaned kittens since day 1 and everything has been working out pretty good up until the weaning process and when these guys should be eating and drinking on their own, while getting them to eat on their own went well, it's getting them to drink that ended up being a huge problem.

I've been almost crying out of frustration with these guys and their refusal to drink water out of a bowl. Two of them are going to be adopted out soon, and there's a lot of pressure to get them to act normal before then.

I've tried different kinds of bowls, and chicken broth, one did drink a little of it, but since that day they've been acting repulsed by the same chicken broth they were eating up the day before and even scared of the broth/water bowl, I was being as gentle as possible with them but when I offer it, they act like it will come alive and attack them.

I've been trying to work with them to encourage them to drink as close to a mother cat as I can, but the only thing these dummies got out of my lessons was using the water bowls as a bathroom, I've caught them several times peeing in or around the bowl rather than drinking out of it for whatever reason.

They're eating a diet of wet food to keep hydrated and I've been supplementing with pedialyte when it seems they're getting dehydrated. They're super active and acting like normal kittens, well, except for the drinking thing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage these kittens to learn how to drink from a bowl? I'm not sure the chicken broth is helping, that's what a vet recommended and it hasn't worked out (I was using TikiCat chicken broth packs.)

Kitten recommended fountains? Certain broths that worked with you guys? Techniques? I'll try anything!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all cats drink water and if they are on all wet then they should be getting sufficient liquid. Try adding a little water to their wet food and mix it in. Put ice cubes into the water bowl, that works with some cats. Add tuna juice to the water. Good luck

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that young kittens often get sufficient hydration from their wet food, especially when you add a couple teaspoons of water. They may drink from a bubbly fountain, or they may just play with it. Will they drink kitten formula from a dish?

Kittens WILL learn to drink water as they grow, and especially when thirsty. Tell your adopters to feed wet food mixed with a little extra water initially so they know they are not drinking water from a dish yet. But fresh water should always be available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not all cats drink water and if they are on all wet then they should be getting sufficient liquid. Try adding a little water to their wet food and mix it in. Put ice cubes into the water bowl, that works with some cats. Add tuna juice to the water. Good luck
Thank you for the reply! Of all the cats I raised these guys are the only ones that have had issues, so it worried me, haha. I feel a little better knowing they'll get enough from the wet food. I have been adding water there too!

I'll try the ice cubes and the tuna water mixture today and see if that works! Funnily enough, I did get one of them drinking a pedialyte mixture in the bowl, I guess this kitten just enjoys the flavor! I hope the other two will see him and follow suit!

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that young kittens often get sufficient hydration from their wet food, especially when you add a couple teaspoons of water. They may drink from a bubbly fountain, or they may just play with it. Will they drink kitten formula from a dish?

Kittens WILL learn to drink water as they grow, and especially when thirsty. Tell your adopters to feed wet food mixed with a little extra water initially so they know they are not drinking water from a dish yet. But fresh water should always be available.
I can try a bubbly fountain, I do have one for the older cats but these kittens are so small they wouldn't be able to reach it haha. I'll need to look around for one that's lower to the ground and try it out. I did try formula in a dish when they were a bit younger but they turned their noses up at it and splashed it everywhere when they got the zoomies.

If it turns out they still won't drink I'll be sure to inform their adopters and leave them instructions until the little ones learn to drink on their own. Thank you though!! I really hope these little guys can learn soon!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little fountain is worth a try for sure I even put a few ice cubes in it when it hot weather We would love to see pictures

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, try to hold off on rehoming them until at least 10 weeks. . .really, 12-14 weeks is optimal but 10 weeks is ok. Them not drinking water is a good excuse, hopefully they'll figure it out in the next 2 weeks ;). Kittens learn good cat lessons from their mother and littermates in those last few weeks, which makes them a better pet all around.

But, yes, I agree that cats/kittens who eat all canned food rarely drink water, but it would still be nice if they didn't act afraid of it at least.

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little fountain is worth a try for sure I even put a few ice cubes in it when it hot weather We would love to see pictures
Thank you! I'll start looking around for a suitable fountain, fingers crossed they like it!

Also here's a few pictures of the lil guys

Attachments

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can, try to hold off on rehoming them until at least 10 weeks. . .really, 12-14 weeks is optimal but 10 weeks is ok. Them not drinking water is a good excuse, hopefully they'll figure it out in the next 2 weeks ;). Kittens learn good cat lessons from their mother and littermates in those last few weeks, which makes them a better pet all around.

But, yes, I agree that cats/kittens who eat all canned food rarely drink water, but it would still be nice if they didn't act afraid of it at least.
They're gonna be over 10 weeks old when they go to their new home, prolly around 11 or 12. The brother and sister kitten will be adopted together and the runt is sticking around with me until he can pack on more weight, he's super duper tiny.

It's funny because this tiny runt has been hitting all the milestones first and was the first one to start drinking water, I'm hoping he will teach his siblings how to do it before they go! All the kittens will be living with older cats that can show them the ropes too. I was really worried why they hadn't picked up on drinking water just yet, haha.

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanted to make a quick update here:

The little runt that began drinking water mixed with Pet-A-Lyte when I started this thread taught his two siblings how to drink water! I saw him giving lessons to his sister yesterday and his big brother this morning, he was drinking like a pro with him, it was very cute! I'm very, very happy it all worked out, they got plenty of time for practise until they're adopted out with their tiny brother giving them lessons.