8 week old kitten...settling in issues

Jkat.z

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got our new kitten yesterday. 8 week old Roxie. We are having some litter tray issues. I had to stimulate her to wee yesterday. We had an accident right next to the litter tray in the early hours. And there has been no poop in 24 hrs. Her tummy looks quite rounded..she is eating often and well. I initially filled her tray with non toxic crystal litter but she just nibbles it. I've changed the litter to a kitten care non clumping one and waiting for kitten litter arractant to arrive to see if that helps. The vet saw her today and said she was healthy but would not vaccinate her until she is drinking and going to toilet well. She doesn't seem to like water from a shallow ceramic bowl, but she had a drink of kitten milk from that bowl today. I'm adding a bit of water to her kitten food.

Anything else I can do to encourage her to drink water, poop and use her tray? Thanks 😊 I know it is early days. I think she was weaned late and mum cat was toileting her - she thinks the litter is a play/food pit!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is normal behavior for a kitten who has just been separated from her mom and put into a new environment. I always say 10-12 weeks with mom is best. Give her time! She will learn the litter pan better, and vaccinations can wait a few weeks.

In the meantime, add a few drops of olive oil to her wet food feedings. It usually softens stool and helps a kitten to poop.

She’s adorable! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jkat.z

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! Really appreciate your adcice

Jkat.z

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry...advice!!!

Jkat.z

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I see her looking around near her tray and I put her in her tray. She jumps out. I can see the head of a little poop. So I guide her to her tray and she still does want to go near it. To avoid an accident, I get some wipes and stimulate her and an almighty poop lands in my hands. Part of which I've put in the tray. I'll remove it soon but just wanted to scent the tray! After a little botty clean she has gone to sleep. That was an experience.