8 Week Old Kitten...okay To Adopt?

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have been toying with the idea of a new kitten for our multi-pet household (two friendly dogs, a 7 year old male cat, and an 11 year old male cat) for quite some time. I told my husband I wouldn't actively seek out a kitten, but if one was shown to me I would consider it.

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine showed me four female kittens her coworker has. They were born November 7th, so they are a few days over 8 weeks old. I asked if she would keep the one I wanted until at least 10 weeks old (honestly 12 weeks would be preferable but I could tell she's looking to get them out of her house pretty quickly).

Unfortunately, she said if someone wants them first she will adopt them out. So basically, my choices are:

1) Go pick her up today or tomorrow, but risk a lack of "cat manners" from being taken from mom too soon
2) Wait until she has spent a few more weeks with mom, but risk her being adopted out to someone else.

I don't want to make a rush decision that can totally ruin the mellow vibe of our household for good, but I already feel responsible for this kitten and worry that if she goes to someone else they won't be with a good home. (I can't save them all...but damn I will try!)

What do you all think? Is 8 weeks old too soon?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelters in my area of Florida adopt out at 8 weeks. Both Buddy and Sam came from there at that age. Sam has always been a good boy. Buddy, on the other hand, has had to learn some manners from his elders. A few he's still learning.;)
If this kitten has stolen your heart, I say go ahead and bring her home.
I'm a little concerned that the woman who has her won't hold her for 2 more weeks. If she is that desperate to get them out of her house, she may not be very choosy about who she gives them to. Better your little girl go home with you than risk her being given to someone who will not care for her properly.
If you do bring her home, please post pics!:)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should take the kitten you want home now, too. The kitten will learn a lot from your multi-cat and multi-dog and multi-human household.

Just remember, no matter what the kitten's age is in weeks, the phrase "mellow vibe" and the word "kitten" do not really go hand-in-hand anyway!
:)

You are in for a year or two of kitten fun whether you got her at 10 weeks or at 8 weeks! "Mellow vibe" needs to be packed in a memory box for a wee while till the kitten is older... then it can come back out again. That's what I learned.
:heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Just remember, no matter what the kitten's age is in weeks, the phrase "mellow vibe" and the word "kitten" do not really go hand-in-hand anyway!
:)
LOL! Yeah, when I used the word mellow, I just meant comfortable. Like, we have come to know what to expect from our babies so far and they all get along. Our house is anything but mellow!!
:hyper:

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even though the recommendation is 12 to 16 weeks, lots of kittens are adopted out earlier and do fine. Plus she'll have your older cats to "teach her manners".

Just make sure you have a kitten-safe room to keep her in when no one is around to supervise all the fur-kids, until you know they are all getting along ok.

You may have already read these, but here are links to a few TCS articles that may have some tips for you:

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Introducing Cats To Dogs
Caring For Cats And Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All the rescues and shelters that I've encountered in my area (Baltimore/DC metro area) adopt out at 8 weeks. It's not ideal, obviously, but it's not the end of the world. You can have a happy, well-manned kitten regardless.

My two were 8 weeks when I adopted them, but I brought them home together, so they teach each other how to play and when enough's enough. As others have said, because you've got other cats in your household, they'll probably teach your little one some manners themselves.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the difference between an eight week old kitten and a twelve week one is that you need to be more prepared to be a mama to the younger kitten. They may need to be carried more, meow for attention or mom more, need to suckle on you or something and generally need to be treated more like the baby they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the difference between an eight week old kitten and a twelve week one is that you need to be more prepared to be a mama to the younger kitten. They may need to be carried more, meow for attention or mom more, need to suckle on you or something and generally need to be treated more like the baby they are.
I can definitely be a mama cat! But my female dog (brown one in picture) might try to steal that role from me...she LOVES cats and wants to be friends with all of them!

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have been toying with the idea of a new kitten for our multi-pet household (two friendly dogs, a 7 year old male cat, and an 11 year old male cat) for quite some time. I told my husband I wouldn't actively seek out a kitten, but if one was shown to me I would consider it.

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine showed me four female kittens her coworker has. They were born November 7th, so they are a few days over 8 weeks old. I asked if she would keep the one I wanted until at least 10 weeks old (honestly 12 weeks would be preferable but I could tell she's looking to get them out of her house pretty quickly).

Unfortunately, she said if someone wants them first she will adopt them out. So basically, my choices are:

1) Go pick her up today or tomorrow, but risk a lack of "cat manners" from being taken from mom too soon
2) Wait until she has spent a few more weeks with mom, but risk her being adopted out to someone else.

I don't want to make a rush decision that can totally ruin the mellow vibe of our household for good, but I already feel responsible for this kitten and worry that if she goes to someone else they won't be with a good home. (I can't save them all...but damn I will try!)

I adopted my first kitten at 8 weeks, he is the most gentle polite and friendly cat I've ever come across. 8 weeks is standard most shelters anyway. Best of luck with the new furbaby