8 week old kitten excessive thirst and urination

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took my kitten to the vet because he had been acting strange. Drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot in the litter box plus accidents of urinating outside the litter box. Vet said everything checked out okay and he is healthy. We didn’t run any blood tests because she said it would be hard to get any and to get any urine so she sent me home with an at home sample kit to get urine. He’s eating some but not as much as he used to. He’s been gaining weight still. Not sure why this is going on. Just want some answers. I feed him science diet wet food so he should be getting plenty of moisture. He isn’t dehydrated. Any insight would be helpful.

catlady4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe too much liquid? You could try dry food and see if that helps the urination issue.

Is he fixed as well? Unfixed cats do tend to mark.

And how old? If he's very young, accidents may happen so don't beat yourself up. The rule is to have 2 litter boxes per cat just in case things like this happen.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know how the Vet can say "everything checks out okay and he is healthy" when they did not check his blood or urine :frown: Can you call to another Vet and ask them if it really is difficult to draw blood and urine from a kitten (and give them his age). I've never heard of this, but haven't had a kitten a long time. BUT, without blood test, there is no way to determine that everything checks out okay. One of my guys recently was drinking and urinating much more than usual, and he wasn't ok. Now, after medication, he is back to normal. So I would get a second opinion.

I do NOT think switching to dry food is the answer, as you said he is DRINKING a lot more, and if you switch him to dry food, I suspect he will drink even more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is possible that he could have accidents given his age. He is only 8 weeks old. There must be something that changed to make you think he is drinking and peeing more than before - yes? What are you basing this on?

Not withstanding your answers that might help shed light on this issue, I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he eating kitten wet food? At 8 weeks my guess is he’s enjoying the water bowl - it’s new and FUN! Extra water on top of wet food will definitely have him peeing a lot because his bladder is small right now. Kittens do have accidents at this age too. As long as he eats well several times a day with dry food to snack on, pees and poops, is active, sleeps well, and gains a pound a month, he’s likely okay.

Do take the urine sample in though. Then you’ll know for sure if he needs meds for a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
Maybe too much liquid? You could try dry food and see if that helps the urination issue.

Is he fixed as well? Unfixed cats do tend to mark.

And how old? If he's very young, accidents may happen so don't beat yourself up. The rule is to have 2 litter boxes per cat just in case things like this happen.
do
I don't know how the Vet can say "everything checks out okay and he is healthy" when they did not check his blood or urine :frown: Can you call to another Vet and ask them if it really is difficult to draw blood and urine from a kitten (and give them his age). I've never heard of this, but haven't had a kitten a long time. BUT, without blood test, there is no way to determine that everything checks out okay. One of my guys recently was drinking and urinating much more than usual, and he wasn't ok. Now, after medication, he is back to normal. So I would get a second opinion.

I do NOT think switching to dry food is the answer, as you said he is DRINKING a lot more, and if you switch him to dry food, I suspect he will drink even more.
My usual vet wasn’t there so that comment rubbed me the wrong way when my other kitten from the same litter was sick and they did blood work on him just fine. I’m going to get the urine sample back to them and if I still see issues moving forward if the urine checks out, I’ll have my usual vet do bloodwork. He’s not fixed yet, he’s only 8 weeks.

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he eating kitten wet food? At 8 weeks my guess is he’s enjoying the water bowl - it’s new and FUN! Extra water on top of wet food will definitely have him peeing a lot because his bladder is small right now. Kittens do have accidents at this age too. As long as he eats well several times a day with dry food to snack on, pees and poops, is active, sleeps well, and gains a pound a month, he’s likely okay.

Do take the urine sample in though. Then you’ll know for sure if he needs meds for a UTI.
Thanks for your response. He does have dry food to snack on as well in addition to the wet that I feed him. I hope that’s the case but I watch him drink so much water and run to the litter box then back to the water again. He will sit by the water bowl forever too. He’s not as active and playful as he once was. It’s just concerning. I will be doing the urine test for sure.

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It is possible that he could have accidents given his age. He is only 8 weeks old. There must be something that changed to make you think he is drinking and peeing more than before - yes? What are you basing this on?

Not withstanding your answers that might help shed light on this issue, I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens .
yes he’s urinating outside the litter box often when he uses the box as well. And I watch how much his behavior has changed. Not as playful as before. He drinks a lot and runs to the litter box then back to water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is a bit concerning. It sounds like something is bothering him regarding his urinary tract, bladder, or urethra, and it may be the start of an infection. He probably needs a round of clavamox. I would insist on the meds, and I’ll bet his issues will clear up. It’s unusual for his age, but certainly within the realm of possibilities. I’m sorry the vet did not consider this possibility. I hope you can get answers on Monday because he may be in pain or at least very uncomfortable. How long has this been going on?

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is a bit concerning. It sounds like something is bothering him regarding his urinary tract, bladder, or urethra, and it may be the start of an infection. He probably needs a round of clavamox. I would insist on the meds, and I’ll bet his issues will clear up. It’s unusual for his age, but certainly within the realm of possibilities. I’m sorry the vet did not consider this possibility. I hope you can get answers on Monday because he may be in pain or at least very uncomfortable. How long has this been going on?
thanks you - just a few days. I thought it was very unusual for his age as well so it’s unfortunate, hopefully it is a quick fix once we pin point what exactly is going on!

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep us posted as soon as you know something or if anything changes.
Update: I haven’t seen any urine accidents since Friday and Saturday. Sunday, he was totally normal. So playful and happy. I never saw him drink any water when I was around or hanging by the water bowl area. Very bizarre.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That IS very bizzare. I would still contact your regular Vet and just tell them what happened to see if they think he needs a checkup, simply because kittens can go downhill so fast.

Glad he seems back to normal. I was quite concernred.

KimberlyJoanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That IS very bizzare. I would still contact your regular Vet and just tell them what happened to see if they think he needs a checkup, simply because kittens can go downhill so fast.

Glad he seems back to normal. I was quite concernred.
Agreed! I’m still going to get a urine sample JUST IN CASE since I have what I need to get one 🙂