8 toes or an extra paw?

chinadoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've added 4 more foster kittens to my foster litter of 3 and all 4 new kittens have 8 toes on each foot.. or so it seems.. but a closer look seems to be that they contain a half a paw extra attached at the wrist.. What do you think?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! The first kitten does have an extra paw on each side.... weird

The second one looks like a regular polydactil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chinadoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm taking them with me to the vets office that I volunteer with on Wednesday for an overall exam.. but I sorta want to see about getting that first one's feet radiographed!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll

I'm taking them with me to the vets office that I volunteer with on Wednesday for an overall exam.. but I sorta want to see about getting that first one's feet radiographed!
Hopefully you will get more posts from people here... Maybe there are polydactils like that - I have never seen it... I have seen extra toes... full on extra paw? never - does he walk ok?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago we had a kitty with 21 toes. We called him BlackJack.
he looked much like your split toed kitty.

chinadoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed if he walks well or not.. tbh today has been one hectic day. I had adoptions from 9am to 4pm but ended up staying till 5 due to a volunteer's car breaking down and her being the main transport for 10 dogs.. then my foster dog was adopted and these kitties were dropped off. Plus I had dinner with my grandmother at 6:30pm.. and other than making sure they were eating and getting ready for our rescue group's trip to take a bunch of donations to Alabama... I haven't had the poor things out for exercise tonight. I'll know more tomorrow morning when they are out of the kitty condo crate. For now all are sleeping happily <3

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

A few years ago we had a kitty with 21 toes. We called him BlackJack.
he looked much like your split toed kitty.
My Pixie Bob Aurora has split mits like that. 2 extra toes on the front paw. And let me tell you, they learn how to use those paws to open doors etc.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh those feeeeeeets!!!
SO CUTE! Someday I would love to have a Hemingway cat just because I love the big mittens.

chinadoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We now have (temporary) names for the four new guys.. Gymme, Grabs, Myne, and Takmi (gimme, mine, grabs, and take me)

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last photo looks like a cat with "thumbs", does it also have 8 toes?

My Maine Coon has "thumbs" which results in 6 toes on the front feet (4 regular toes, 1 dewclaw, and the "thumb") and yes she can use them like human thumbs (to grasp things)!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is just adorable, love those paws. It would not hurt to have them looked at by the vet when she goes, but unless they seem to be bothering her, there in likely no need for an extra visit.
I found a 6 toed tortie withwhite feet in a WalMart parking lot. She just wandered up at the cabstand ant held court. She had both shifts feeding her, it's wonder she wasn't a little pudge. She was one of those long legged, sleek build cats, and the way her little toes grew, she looked she was wearing white gloves. She ended up in a great home after being rescued from the parking lot, then by a driver. That's a story for another time.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope they find great homes. What did you find out at the vet?

noreen galassi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I go about adopting a kitten with 8 toes, I live in Windsor Ca. Please PM me. Thank you Noreen

Last edited by a moderator: