8 New love/hate bites today! Can Vaccination cause this?

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a cat who is around one year old,

male,

neutered,

indoors only,

only cat.

1) Of late, he started giving me love bites where he would take my finger or toe and nibble it which is really cute.

Rarely, I used to get marks after those bites, there will be bumpy stripes in the location of the bite, but it goes off in usually half an hour or less.

Now those love bites started to be more painful. The first one or two are fine, then he bites harder to the point I have to push his head away. Now I'm getting red marks that take days to go. The skin os not penetrated, there is no bleeding, but the they are painful.

Today, I got 8 new ones!

Is that normal? Are these usual love bites that cat do to express love, or is he trying to trick me; give me two loves bites and they give "hate bites"?

2) Another strange thing happened, that happened twice. He just jumps and starts biting my fingers, ankle, climbs my leg and try to bite it or reach my fingers to bite.

I had to grab the nearest object and let him bite it instead and push him with it.

Last Thursday he had his first rabies shot, and also his 3-in-one vaccination (second dose, first does was 1 month ago, and things were fine).

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Taty Caty

A cat who is biting you is not normal, in that it is not a desired behavior, but it can be learned in a cat and needs to be unlearned.  I will include some links below that will help you re-train your cat.

But more worrisome is the potential for very serious infections that can come from cat bites that have nothing to do with a cat who is vaccinated. Cats' mouths are very dirty from a bacteria point of view, and striated marks radiating from the wound is a sign of a potentially very serious blood infection.

Unchecked if either these lines continue to spread or swelling radiates from the wound, either of which is very serious, and has the potential to get you hospitalized.  Most doctors prescribe Augmentin for people with cat bite infections, but if not quickly controlled you could be on an IV for 10+days.  Worse, I've had a friend who needed multiple surgeries to cut out infections that were resistant to treatment.

The one and only trick to fight cat bite infections before they become super serious is early medical intervention!!!   Most can be easily treated with oral antibiotics, but even a 24 hour delay on an actively spreading infection can result in 10 days of IV antibiotics possibly in a hospital.

Correction, there is one other early treatment that I know of it comes from the merck manual for 3d world country medical treatments and that involves applying super salinated very hot water to the wound multiple times as one treatment, each treatment to be repeated multiple ties a day.  The super salty hot water draws out infection, I've used this on myself and it was effective, but it was before the bite got very far in the infection.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_aggression.cfm

http://www.catcaresociety.org/aggression.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@Taty Caty

A cat who is biting you is not normal, in that it is not a desired behavior, but it can be learned in a cat and needs to be unlearned.  I will include some links below that will help you re-train your cat.

But more worrisome is the potential for very serious infections that can come from cat bites that have nothing to do with a cat who is vaccinated. Cats' mouths are very dirty from a bacteria point of view, and striated marks radiating from the wound is a sign of a potentially very serious blood infection.

Unchecked if either these lines continue to spread or swelling radiates from the wound, either of which is very serious, and has the potential to get you hospitalized.  Most doctors prescribe Augmentin for people with cat bite infections, but if not quickly controlled you could be on an IV for 10+days.  Worse, I've had a friend who needed multiple surgeries to cut out infections that were resistant to treatment.

The one and only trick to fight cat bite infections before they become super serious is early medical intervention!!!   Most can be easily treated with oral antibiotics, but even a 24 hour delay on an actively spreading infection can result in 10 days of IV antibiotics possibly in a hospital.

Correction, there is one other early treatment that I know of it comes from the merck manual for 3d world country medical treatments and that involves applying super salinated very hot water to the wound multiple times as one treatment, each treatment to be repeated multiple ties a day.  The super salty hot water draws out infection, I've used this on myself and it was effective, but it was before the bite got very far in the infection.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_aggression.cfm

http://www.catcaresociety.org/aggression.html
Thank you for the informative input and the links @StephenQ

I know how dangerous cat bites can be, but what my cat gave were superficial bites. So, no skin penetration occurred, so I don't think that bacteria can get in. Isn't that the case with cat bites, or can their bacteria get in even if the skin is not visibly broken?

I've always read articles and posts that if cat gives gentled bites, then it means it loves his/her human.

See this:
I was guessing that these lines and redness were reactions the pressure the love bite leaves.

Thanks God the marks are better today, and some have already faded.

For the time being, I'm not allowing my cat to give me those bites. But I feel bad about that. It is like when a kid runs to kiss you, and tell him/her no.

Thank you.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The skin does need to be broken for infection to occur, so you should be ok but your description sounded worse than what you are saying now, and I'm glad you;re ok.  Don't feel badly about limiting your cats nipping behavior, it isn't appropriate for him to do this, calling it a "love bite" is not really accurate, its a term of endearment for a mildly aggressive behavior that can become worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The skin does need to be broken for infection to occur, so you should be ok but your description sounded worse than what you are saying now, and I'm glad you;re ok.  Don't feel badly about limiting your cats nipping behavior, it isn't appropriate for him to do this, calling it a "love bite" is not really accurate, its a term of endearment for a mildly aggressive behavior that can become worse.
Thank you. Sorry if my description was not accurate, I was stressed when I wrote the first post. So I did did not describe the situation well.

Not love bites? Then how come they usually come when the cat seems to be content; purring or laying on its back and exposing its belly (sign of trust).

Thank you and regards.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you. Sorry if my description was not accurate, I was stressed when I wrote the first post. So I did did not describe the situation well.

Not love bites? Then how come they usually come when the cat seems to be content; purring or laying on its back and exposing its belly (sign of trust).

Thank you and regards.
Well it may be partly a discussion of semantics...one person's love bit is another person's vampire attack :)