8-month-old- Twice A Day Or 3x?

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi... So Marbles is starting to eat less wet food at each meal. I've fed her wet food 3x/day for months, plus she has dry Simply Nourish Source Kitten out to graze on at all times, including overnight. I want her to be able to eat dry for when I am gone, on vacations etc.

Right now she eats about 1/4 cup dry in 24 hrs. The most seems to be overnight- don't know when though.

She asks to be fed wet food first thing in the am (between 6 and 7:30, depending if it's a work day or not) but lately she doesn't eat much at all right away. It takes her maybe 1.5-2 hrs? to eat a whole 3-oz can in the am

Then I feed her at around 3 pm, but lately she tends to sleep til later than that in the afternoon (today she didn't get it til 4). And she often doesn't want that much for this 2nd feeding. It varies.

Then I feed her at 10pm. Again, it takes her a long time to finish, typically. She eats from 1/2-1 can at each meal, but typically not near a whole can at midday.

Is she old enough to go down to two wet food feedings per day? It also would be much easier as we will be going on vaca for 5 days in a month and she will only be fed twice a day then.

She is a small, slim-built tabby- 6.4 lbs. She isn't gaining fast right now- she hasn't gained anything in the past two weeks, is that ok? But she is normal weight, per a cat growth chart I found.

Thanks!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 8 months, she is fine to have only two wet meals per day, particularly since you are leaving dry food out for her to snack on.