8 month old pregnant kitten (really small!)/Vomiting

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Just posting this because I need to have some peace of mind. I am well aware that I should have had her spayed so none of this would happen, and I was planning to, but it was too late because she's already pregnant (by her brother, I believe)

i have my 8 month old kitten thats been confirmed pregnant by her vet. I took her for a checkup because I noticed her nipples were pinkish and swollen, and I wanted to ask the vet if he could perform spay abortion in case she is pregnant. It turns out that she is pregnant, about 4 weeks, and expecting 4 kittens. The vet didnt recommend spay abort at this point because she is small (about 2kg only) and the risk of blood loss during surgery could result to collapse. He said it's better to push through with the pregnancy and just have her spayed after wards (and I will!!!!!!) he also said that having her in cs section if she couldnt push the babies out on her own would have a better outcome than a spay abort at this point.

has anybody experienced this? Right now im making sure she is comfortable and giving her kitten food, but she's in the middle of the pregnancy and has some lack of appetite here and there. Her belly is growing bigger each day, and I just hope she can deliver despite her size. I already have her vet on call in case something happens. Pls pls send me good and positive thoughts!!!! She's such a sweet kitty i really hope she pulls through
Side note: her mom is also very small so maybe thats where she got her size from

IMG_4387.jpeg

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like a baby herself! I have had MANY ferals get pregnant at under 8 months. Most delivered fine and came through with no problems. Your little girl should be fine now that you know she is pregnant and are keeping in touch with the vet. Read up on how to be prepared for birthing, and definitely on what problems to look for. Have a carrier ready, and any supplies you might need, a washcloth to wipe the membrane from baby's face if mama is too tired to do it, heat pad (low to keep them warm in case you have to transfer mama.) Small sharp scissors to cut umbilical cord, (it is better to crush and cut it with fingernails to mimic mama's teeth) and maybe even a bottle and KMR (kitten replacement milk) which you can always give to mama to keep up her strength. I would start giving her kitten food right now and after she gives birth to keep up on her nutrition and strength. Since she is so young, she herself is not done growing and the kitten fetuses will draw what they need from her, depleting her own nutrition, especially calcium from her bones. Give her as much as she wants, no time to diet. she will most likely will be fine, especially with you there, but being ready sure doesn't hurt. there are a LOT of cats that are in her situation! I will pray they come through fine, and please keep in touch! PS I have had MANY cats that inbred with their daddy, brother, etc. and they were fine, the three I have right now are from a daughter and daddy! PPS PLEASE keep her away from her brother until you have her spayed, They can get pregnant again a week after birth. He can check out teh kittens, but they should NOT be alone! I had a mama that had 17 kittens in one year because I could not catch her, 3 pregnancies!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like a baby herself! I have had MANY ferals get pregnant at under 8 months. Most delivered fine and came through with no problems. Your little girl should be fine now that you know she is pregnant and are keeping in touch with the vet. Read up on how to be prepared for birthing, and definitely on what problems to look for. Have a carrier ready, and any supplies you might need, a washcloth to wipe the membrane from baby's face if mama is too tired to do it, heat pad (low to keep them warm in case you have to transfer mama.) Small sharp scissors to cut umbilical cord, (it is better to crush and cut it with fingernails to mimic mama's teeth) and maybe even a bottle and KMR (kitten replacement milk) which you can always give to mama to keep up her strength. I would start giving her kitten food right now and after she gives birth to keep up on her nutrition and strength. Since she is so young, she herself is not done growing and the kitten fetuses will draw what they need from her, depleting her own nutrition, especially calcium from her bones. Give her as much as she wants, no time to diet. she will most likely will be fine, especially with you there, but being ready sure doesn't hurt. there are a LOT of cats that are in her situation! I will pray they come through fine, and please keep in touch! PS I have had MANY cats that inbred with their daddy, brother, etc. and they were fine, the three I have right now are from a daughter and daddy! PPS PLEASE keep her away from her brother until you have her spayed, They can get pregnant again a week after birth. He can check out teh kittens, but they should NOT be alone! I had a mama that had 17 kittens in one year because I could not catch her, 3 pregnancies!
Thank you so much for the reassurance!!! I have been having several almost sleepless nights thinking about how this is going to go. This is my first time to have a pregnant cat, and it didnt help that Pipay is very small also - it's adding to the scare factor but I'm glad to know she will most likely be okay. Thank you for the helpful advice, I've been reading up a lot also and will be preparing for the stuff she needs soon!! Right now she's on kitten food but she's mostly sleeping all day and seems to have morning sickness.

Soon enough I'll take her for another check up to ask for xrays. Her vet recommended she could go have an xray to check if her birth canal is big enough to accommodate the kitty heads. He estimated she's about 4 weeks pregnant, so I will be taking her back to the vet a couple of weeks from now!!

will definitely keep you posted!!

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just a follow up question - do pregnant cats really have a period of lack of appetite? Pipay is not finishing her food especially in the day, but usually does at night. She's been doing this for about 5 days. Is that normal? I just want to make sure the kitties are getting the nutrients they need!

her belly also did this earlier

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That may be a kitten moving around. You especially see that because she is so small. She needs some weight on her. I would tempt her with lickable treats. Especially something like Delectable Lickables, in the stew flavors. It is common to lose their appetite a little. I would tempt her though……

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
just a follow up question - do pregnant cats really have a period of lack of appetite? Pipay is not finishing her food especially in the day, but usually does at night. She's been doing this for about 5 days. Is that normal? I just want to make sure the kitties are getting the nutrients they need!

her belly also did this earlier
As long she ates during the night, this should be OK Still, try to entice her also daytime... Her margins are thin.
Goats milk is a good supplement if she takes it, and cheaper than kmr. :) Goats milk works also as emergency kmr for the kittens; and is healthy for humans, even for humans whom have difficulties with cow milk.

Re size. One of our Ancestors, Vagis, one of his wifes was smallish and petite. She had the biggest litter of them all, 6... (its a biggish litter in our breed). So the size isnt usually a big problem.

She is young, but hopefully physically it shouldnt be a problem. What MAY be a problem, being young her mother instincts perhaps wont kick in at once. So be prepared to assist her.... After she had come around and catched on, she should be a good momma anyway. Even if she probably will want to go away now and then to stretch her legs, and play some.

Prepare best you can, pray, but have good hopes.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That may be a kitten moving around. You especially see that because she is so small. She needs some weight on her. I would tempt her with lickable treats. Especially something like Delectable Lickables, in the stew flavors. It is common to lose their appetite a little. I would tempt her though……
i have some churu lickables on hand. She does eat it but doesnt finish the entire thing too! But yeah I agree she needs to put some weight.

i noticed that her poop is mushy for 2 days now.. is that a cause for concern?

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long she ates during the night, this should be OK Still, try to entice her also daytime... Her margins are thin.
Goats milk is a good supplement if she takes it, and cheaper than kmr. :) Goats milk works also as emergency kmr for the kittens; and is healthy for humans, even for humans whom have difficulties with cow milk.

Re size. One of our Ancestors, Vagis, one of his wifes was smallish and petite. She had the biggest litter of them all, 6... (its a biggish litter in our breed). So the size isnt usually a big problem.

She is young, but hopefully physically it shouldnt be a problem. What MAY be a problem, being young her mother instincts perhaps wont kick in at once. So be prepared to assist her.... After she had come around and catched on, she should be a good momma anyway. Even if she probably will want to go away now and then to stretch her legs, and play some.

Prepare best you can, pray, but have good hopes.
Thank you for your reassurance!! I appreciate the advice and insights, I feel so much better today now that I know how to prepare for the big day.

Yeah I'm kinda worried also that since she's young, her maternal instinct won't kick in just yet. I hope it does though! Luckily one of my cats right now I raised since he was just a few days old - we got him from a gasoline station abandoned and crying for 3 days - so hopefully that experience helps me with this one just in case.

Pipay is having zoomies every now and then though, and Im worried about her bumping into things and all. Will the babies be safe?

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I almost brought her into the vet yesterday for her mushy poop, but it did resolve and it's now having some shape. might just be due to the kitten food and the change in flavor (same brand of catfood) whew!!!!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for your reassurance!! I appreciate the advice and insights, I feel so much better today now that I know how to prepare for the big day.

Yeah I'm kinda worried also that since she's young, her maternal instinct won't kick in just yet. I hope it does though! Luckily one of my cats right now I raised since he was just a few days old - we got him from a gasoline station abandoned and crying for 3 days - so hopefully that experience helps me with this one just in case.

Pipay is having zoomies every now and then though, and Im worried about her bumping into things and all. Will the babies be safe?
Im not sure what zoomies is. Its the renown wild cat rushes?? Cats are quite sturdy, and being preg is no disease. Out in the nature high pregs must manage anyway, and being a fat target they must be able to flee and fight... So, collisions arent optimal, but lets hope for the best.

Are the other cats best friend with her? If so its not impossible heshe will co-parent. But if your girl wishes to be left alone, no cat company, let her be alone... Moms desires must go first.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have some churu lickables on hand. She does eat it but doesnt finish the entire thing too! But yeah I agree she needs to put some weight.

i noticed that her poop is mushy for 2 days now.. is that a cause for concern?
Mushy poop (and diarrhea) is very common in pregnant and nursing cats. I wouldn't worry, but I'd call the vet and let them know.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone for the assurance!!!

update tonight: it's 8:18 right now and there's some discharge coming out of her that looks like this. Is this the mucus plug? If so, how long should I wait before labor starts? Right now she is still very active, eating and being affectionate!

I'm contacting the vet just in case it happens tonight

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thanks everyone for the assurance!!!

update tonight: it's 8:18 right now and there's some discharge coming out of her that looks like this. Is this the mucus plug? If so, how long should I wait before labor starts? Right now she is still very active, eating and being affectionate!

I'm contacting the vet just in case it happens tonight
Yes, its probably the mucus plug.
How long left? Difficult to say. In theory, just a few hours before the expected delivery.
In practice it may come even a couple of weeks before. In nature its not optimal, as the mucus plug stops bacteria and filth, but in home milieu its no big.

Good you DO have access to a vet! Hopefully vet isnt not necessary, but its always wise to have the extra security.

The double guardes one is protected by the Lord Himself, as the saying goes.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i appreciate the saying 🥺

We know a vet who does home service c-section, and that's very convenient because we dont have to go out just in case!!!

update: she might be in labor now, she went to my lap and her body is kind of shivering. Should I put her in her nesting box? Or just let her be on my lap right now?