8 Month Old Over Groomer?

woahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again.
My cat Owen, he tends to clean himself for a VERY long period of time.
A few days ago it was about 20-30 minutes. My family doesn't stop him, I'm the only one. My mother KNOWS he over grooms..but doesn't do anything.
He hasn't lost any patches of fur. But it's always one of the same places. The top of the thigh and a few other places. He does that thing where he bites and licks the spot. I can definitely tell because he is LOUD when he cleans (ew).

It hasn't gotten bad to the point where he takes out fur but he always does it for an exceptionally long time. I've never seen him clean his face or anything either. Is it just a kitten thing? Or should we be worried?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried a (gently transitioned) food change?

If possible, you could also try a chamomile tea wash, (from the little baggies only, not loose leaf), applied to his trouble spots with a q tip or something like that. The tea is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and should help to ease the itch :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Speaking of Owen, how are he and Lettie getting along - any better?

As long as Owen is not pulling out patches of hair, or licking raw spots, it is probably nothing to worry about. It might be his way of calming himself down, since I think from your previous posts, there are some tensions in the house with the cats and how they get along sometimes.

My cat has a few 'favorite' spots that she cleans more than any other area on her body. And, while she might not do it for 20 or 30 minutes at a time she does it multiple times a day. She doesn't pull hair out or create raw spots, but I will admit that after all these years of doing it, those spots are nearly bald.

It is also possible that Owen will grow out of the habit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

woahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As long as Owen is not pulling out patches of hair, or licking raw spots, it is probably nothing to worry about. It might be his way of calming himself down, since I think from your previous posts, there are some tensions in the house with the cats and how they get along sometimes.

My cat has a few 'favorite' spots that she cleans more than any other area on her body. And, while she might not do it for 20 or 30 minutes at a time she does it multiple times a day. She doesn't pull hair out or create raw spots, but I will admit that after all these years of doing it, those spots are nearly bald.

It's going, haha.
He's getting wayy better.
We JUST changed Lettie's food for her Feline Hyperesthesia. So we're trying to do that.

That could be his way to calm himself down.
Thanks (:

tashacombs35

My Loves
Kitten
Purraise

My cat tuna fish licks himself raw to the point of almost bleeding. I went out and bought the medicine at Walmart you spray on it for fungal infections, cleared it right up!! His hair grew back beautifully. So I guess it ended up being a fungal thing!! He started again not to long ago so I grabbed spray, sprayed the spot, he quit licking and it's healing wonderfully.