8 Month Old Kitten Steps In Her Poop

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried reading up on this issue and everyone keeps saying that they grow out of it but my kitty hasn't. She's now 8 months old and she steps in her poo and doesn't clean herself after. What's up with that, I thought cats are supposed to be meticulous about grooming.

Anyone have any suggestions?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to try a few different litters to see if that will encourage her to cover it, or a different box to see if she'll stay in there longer. Some cats do not cover their poo, they are confident enough not to have to worry about predators. But she shouldn't be stepping in it, Maybe a bigger box to avoid it? Like a cut down clear plastic storage bin? Post us if you find a solution!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, try a bigger litter box. Are you using clumping litter? Make sure it's deep enough, 3 inches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the 2 of largest litter boxes out there 2 and I use "precious cat premium clumping litter".

I notice that when she goes to the bathroom she takes one of her legs and props it up against the ledge of the the litter box as though she needs the support. Maybe she has a problem going to the bathroom. After she poops she turns around to smell it and cover it, that's when she steps in it, when she turns. I don't know what I can do about it. I'll try using more litter or maybe a different litter and see what happens.

The other strange thing is that she doesn't clean the poop off her foot after she steps in it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The clumping litter you are using sounds fine, but is it at least 3 inches deep? It takes about 20-25 pounds to fill it that deep. Good luck!

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never used that much litter. I'm going to put more in right now to see how that works.
Thank you.

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FYI - I tried the 3-4" of litter and so far it's been successful! I watched her go poo two times today and she didn't step in it. Let's hope that was the problem.

Thank you cat people!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad it's working! Yeah, the clumping litter has to be deep enough or it doesn't clump right, it stays wet and sticks to the cat.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8 months is still pretty young, probably still figuring things out.
My 18month old is ashamed every time she does a poo. When she has an "accident" she runs and hides absolutely mortified.
She runs to me as if to "let me know" something went wrong and then runs away like she's embarrassed.
It's gross AND adorable.