8 Month Kitten - Uti?

Laurawr200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

I think my little cat might have a UTI, We woke up one morning and she had weed all over the kitchen and bathroom and there was a slight bit of blood in it. She just kept going everywhere and in her litter tray really frequently!

We got an appointment at the vets and got some anti biotics and when she stopped taking them a few days after she started doing the same.

We took her to the vets again and they mentioned an X ray which is quite a lot of money to find out it is a UTi and she just needs another round of Anti Biotics for a longer period.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else gad experienced anything like this?

Thanks!

Laura

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Not experience directly, but would you consider talking to a different vet about this for a second opinion on what's going on?

Last edited:

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry that your at is not doing well.

Did your vet take a test on your cat's urine to see what kind of bacteria she might have if it really is a UTI? That is an important step to know what kind of antiobiotics that will help your kitty, as the bacteria sometimes is resistant to certain antibiotics.

I would recommend having an ultrasound made if your cat has recurrent UTIs, because that might be a sign that something is not right with her kidneys. As of now, however, it only sounds like she might have been put on the wrong antibiotics, or that the period of treatment was too short. I'd try to talk to your vet again, or turn to another vet. At this stage (with the information provided in OP) I think an X-ray sounds a bit overkill?

When I had a cat with recurring UTIs (renal disease), she was always put on at least 7 days of antibiotics. We then had to take a new test a few days later to see whether the bacterias were gone. If not, the treatment was extended further.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she have at least 10 days of antibiotics? Also, what is her diet like? Is she getting enough canned food, and not too much dry food?