7mo old male kitten has diarrhea

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Smudge came home the first week of October. He’d been eating primarily fancy feast beef pate (adult formula, foster said he wouldn’t eat the kitten food) with a little kibble too. I fed him mostly this when he came home, with one or two other FF flavors. He does get a little merrick kitten formula dry as well. After a few weeks I started giving him some better quality canned food like Stella and chewy, tiki cat, and Weruva. In hindsight I probably did give him too much variety, but I did still give him fancy feast 1/2-2/3 of the time.

In late October, his foster had me pick up medication for him as one of the fosters he’d been living with had a parasite. There was no sign of any problem with smudge at that time

About a month ago he started having diarrhea. I figured it was from the food change, but going back to 90% fancy feast beef pate didn’t seem to help. Not a single incidence of vomiting since he came home. I took him to the vet this week and she said he was gassy but otherwise everything looked and felt normal. They sent me home with some RC GI kitten food and did a keyscreen parasite fecal which came back normal. He is very active, has gained about 3 lbs and is on the upper end of the acceptable weight range for his frame, and I haven’t notice anything else concerning.

Current plan is to pick up an antibiotic if things haven’t improved by Monday. I’m hoping I don’t have another IBS kitty and that he won’t have to be on prescription food his whole life. Wondering if maybe he is intolerant to guar gum? The FF and most of the other foods I’ve had, including the RC, have it.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Attachments

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful little guy. Hope you can figure out what's going on and get him back to being well :heartshape:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him Chicken as that can cause diarrhea, he may be intolerant to it. Try giving him s boulardii , if he is an adult then one capsule daily, can be split, half in the morning and half in the evening. If he's a kitten then just half a capsule daily. The one I use is Jarrow from Amazon, it's in capsule form, just pull apart and give him the powder mixed into his food. It stops the diarrhea within 3/4 days with my cats.