~7 Weeks Pregnant Cat Vomiting Undigested Food

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! This is my first post here. I have been a volunteer for a no-kill animal rescue for almost 10 years, and I am currently fostering my first pregnant rescue. She came to us from a house with far too many animals (none of them fixed) that was going to surrender to the humane society. I've only had her since last Thursday, and we believe she is roughly 2 weeks away from giving birth.

She is young and very small. We estimate her age to be about 8 months and she weighs less than 7 pounds. When I first picked her up on Thursday, she was not eating, which was behaviour that my fellow volunteer said had just started the night before. I spent most of Thursday feeding her prescription a/d food through a syringe, just to make sure she was getting some calories and not getting dehydrated.

Come Friday, she still wasn't eating voluntarily, so I bit the bullet and took her to my vet. She had been to the vet our rescue uses the previous Tuesday (so one week ago today), but sometimes I feel they aren't very thorough with our rescue cats, so I wanted to take her to the vet I take my own pets to, as I believe they do a better job. My vet did the works - physical exam, ultrasound, blood panel, stool sample, etc. They also gave her a small dose of remeron to stimulate her appetite. All tests came back normal and her ultrasound looked good (the doctor could see skeletons and heartbeats of three kittens). They advised me to give the remeron time to work and just continue watching her.

Now, 5 days later, she is eating MUCH better (unfortunately the only thing she will eat is Fancy Feast; won't eat any of the healthy kitten food I put out for her), but she has thrown up roughly once a night for the past three days. When I go in to see her in the morning I find a pile of undigested food in her room. That's all it is - undigested food - no hairballs, nothing fishy looking.

She is still eating well and her spirits are otherwise great - she has lots of energy, loves to play, and is extremely affectionate. But I'm concerned about the vomiting. I just don't know what else there would be for the vet to do at this point considering they've run every test in the book.

I know that in her old home she was eating nothing but low-quality dry kibble, so could this be a reaction to the change in food? Honestly, that's really what I'm hoping. But I'd love some opinions from people who are more experienced with feline pregnancy than I am! Thanks in advance for any insight and help.

Here are a few pictures of my beautiful mommy, just for fun. :)

25073379_10103592976508328_7328333551431953264_o.jpg

19621197_10103588763316598_8703151824454487895_o.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be the food change. It could also be a food sensitivity to a protein or ingredient in the food. I know when my girl joined me she had been eating 9Lives and it took about two weeks for her digestive system to level out on her new diet (I will never forget that first orange chalk like poop, it was horrible). You could try switching to a flavor without chicken to see if that helps (since that is the most common protein so first one I eliminate). Or just give it another week or two, assuming she is eating she is getting some calories in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be the food change. It could also be a food sensitivity to a protein or ingredient in the food. I know when my girl joined me she had been eating 9Lives and it took about two weeks for her digestive system to level out on her new diet (I will never forget that first orange chalk like poop, it was horrible). You could try switching to a flavor without chicken to see if that helps (since that is the most common protein so first one I eliminate). Or just give it another week or two, assuming she is eating she is getting some calories in.
Yes! The orange poop! She had that too and it scared me half to death at first (I had worried it was some kind of discharge before I smelled that it was most definitely poo). You have made me feel so much better. Now that you mention it, most of what she has thrown up has been the chicken variety food (the beef one is a different color and seems to stay down). I will try omitting the chicken. Thank you so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some dry kitten kibble and see if she will eat that, she may miss the dry food and the wet is too rich for her. I really believe she is used to fighting for every bite at feeding time, so is most likely eating too fast and too much. Cut back on the amounts and give more often. You might try some goats milk or KMR to see if she would drink it, that would build her up too. Bless you for helping her, give her a kiss for me!

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get some dry kitten kibble and see if she will eat that, she may miss the dry food and the wet is too rich for her. I really believe she is used to fighting for every bite at feeding time, so is most likely eating too fast and too much. Cut back on the amounts and give more often. You might try some goats milk or KMR to see if she would drink it, that would build her up too. Bless you for helping her, give her a kiss for me!
Yes, I have kibble out for her at all times - both Blue Buffalo kitten food, and Meow Mix, because that's similar to what she was eating before. She completely ignores the high quality food but she munches on the Meow Mix.

She goes through periods where she eats quite a lot - and then periods where she's not really interested in food. Right now I have a couple of small servings of wet food out and she's taken a few bites but then left them alone.

I put some KMR out for her per your suggestion; she took a few sips then walked away - going to leave it out today to see if she finishes!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like you have two separate bowls of dry? I'd combine them into one bowl, heavy on the Meow Mix, and slowly start reducing the amount of Meow Mix. If you do it slowly over the next three weeks (like I said slowly) the smell and taste of the two foods should overlap to her. By the time you have stopped including the Meow Mix she should be eating the kitten food without problem. A basic way would be to fill a gallon zip lock with the Meow Mix and put in a quarter cup of the new food. Mix well then dish out her food from there. Each time you dish out food add a quarter cup of the new food in the bag and mix well.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have two separate bowls of dry? I'd combine them into one bowl, heavy on the Meow Mix, and slowly start reducing the amount of Meow Mix. If you do it slowly over the next three weeks (like I said slowly) the smell and taste of the two foods should overlap to her. By the time you have stopped including the Meow Mix she should be eating the kitten food without problem. A basic way would be to fill a gallon zip lock with the Meow Mix and put in a quarter cup of the new food. Mix well then dish out her food from there. Each time you dish out food add a quarter cup of the new food in the bag and mix well.
Yeah, I tried combining them at first, but she largely ignored it, and I was really just concerned about her getting calories! Now that she is eating a bit better, I'm going to try transitioning her again. I just want her to eat something, *anything* with how tiny she is!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I tried combining them at first, but she largely ignored it, and I was really just concerned about her getting calories! Now that she is eating a bit better, I'm going to try transitioning her again. I just want her to eat something, *anything* with how tiny she is!!
I totally get it. It is better that cats eat, even if it is a food we hate. You could start by just crushing some of the new food and sprinkle it very lightly on the old food. You do it slow enough and she shouldn't even notice the switch.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I noticed what looks like dried milk on her nipples. She's also been restless today and has been looking a bit uncomfortable. Grooming constantly. Wondering if she's getting close!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she today? Once milk begins to come in, kittens usually come within a week.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she today? Once milk begins to come in, kittens usually come within a week.
She is doing really well! No signs of labor yet, but she's eating great, has stopped vomiting, and seems to have gained some weight over the past few days. :)

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have started getting some supplies together including bottles, non-clumping litter and shallow pan, potty pads, and lots of towels/rags. I also just ordered a heating pad as I worry about her and her little ones being warm enough - can anyone advise on the best way to implement this? Is it possible for them to be too warm? Do most of you just keep it on the low setting?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the hearing pad set on low, and under a blanket. Make sure there is room in the nest for the kittens to move off the heated area if they get too hot.

It is most important for when mom is out of the nest taking a break, and/or if your home or the room is on the cold side.