7 Week Old... Milk?

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We found a bit of a thing in our alley last Monday. Knocked on doors, called non emergency police, etc. No one claimed it. My husband is allergic but Kit Kat stile our hearts.

He has been to the vet AMD he is not quite 7 weeks. Healthy and thriving but... I went to a pet store and they said he may still benefit from goats milk as a supplement. I bought it, but not sure if they were just trying to make a sale. He eats wet and dry food wonderfully. He is just over 1 pound. Thanks for any help!

Ps- pic for cat tax. Hoping for good answers.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goat's milk is actually a good substitute for cats milk AND can benefit adult cats as well. So no trying to make a sale there. Just read the label, if it has added ingredients I would limit the quantity to not overdue the added items (usually probiotics).

Thank you for taking the little one in. Now is a good time to establish a grooming routine and habits to make your husband's allergies a little more tolerable. One is every other week a bath and daily brushing. Another is no cats on sheets/pillows, top of couches/chairs or tables. Relatively easy habits to start early by not putting the kitten in those places and moving her off if she does go there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! All excellent advice. I'm in the midwest and it was so cold. We couldn't leave him out there.

By bath... Do you mean a literal bath? I don't want him to hate me. We do brush every day. My 6 year old loves this a his "job". Never thought we would own any pet, none the less a cat.

Goat's milk is actually a good substitute for cats milk AND can benefit adult cats as well. So no trying to make a sale there. Just read the label, if it has added ingredients I would limit the quantity to not overdue the added items (usually probiotics).

Thank you for taking the little one in. Now is a good time to establish a grooming routine and habits to make your husband's allergies a little more tolerable. One is every other week a bath and daily brushing. Another is no cats on sheets/pillows, top of couches/chairs or tables. Relatively easy habits to start early by not putting the kitten in those places and moving her off if she does go there.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh and the goats milk is is all natural organic. Feeding kit kat better than my human children.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! All excellent advice. I'm in the midwest and it was so cold. We couldn't leave him out there.

By bath... Do you mean a literal bath? I don't want him to hate me. We do brush every day. My 6 year old loves this a his "job". Never thought we would own any pet, none the less a cat.
If you start giving a kitten a bath regularly when they are young, many will grow up liking for even loving them. Just give it another week or two before giving it a try. Nothing dramatic, luke warm water, dawn dawn blue dish soap and stay below the neck for now. Just a drop of soap and rinse well. Trim the claws while drying to make it a whole routine and follow up with kittens favorite treat. Kittens get into a routine amazingly well and it really helps them in general.

Since you mentioned a child, you should also get a cat tree and make a rule that when the kitten is in the cat tree that means no touching or playing. That creates a safe spot for your kitten to go to if it ever feels overhwelmed by any kids and gives your child a boundary that is easy to understand. It's your kittens private place, bedroom, den, however it should be explained to make sense. But it can prevent problems later on to have a designated spot everyone understands as safe.

Another thing is that given your kittens age you will probably have teething and rough play issues soon. Most young kittens who leave their moms before twelve weeks will. It is cute when they are young but as they get older it can hurt. The easiest way to prevent problems is starting now teach your family that anytime they feel tooth or claw to pretend like it hurts. Cry out, say "ouch" and immediately withdraw attention. Ignore the kitten for ten seconds then go back to whatever was going on. Every single time. Keep wand toys around so your child(ren) can keep hands away from playful kitten paws and kicker/toss toys around. Remember, hands are not toys.

I know this is more then you asked but I like to cover all my bases.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh and the goats milk is is all natural organic. Feeding kit kat better than my human children.
Purrfect. Kit Kat will get good nutrition from the goat's milk. You can use it to water down wet food making it easier to lap up. Little kittens are still getting the hang of the wholeeating thing. You can also give it in just a saucer by itself.

I often joke that I pay more attention to my cats diets then my own. If I gave as much care and focus on my own diet I would probably be a lot better off (diet wise).

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you start giving a kitten a bath regularly when they are young, many will grow up liking for even loving them. Just give it another week or two before giving it a try. Nothing dramatic, luke warm water, dawn dawn blue dish soap and stay below the neck for now. Just a drop of soap and rinse well. Trim the claws while drying to make it a whole routine and follow up with kittens favorite treat. Kittens get into a routine amazingly well and it really helps them in general.

Since you mentioned a child, you should also get a cat tree and make a rule that when the kitten is in the cat tree that means no touching or playing. That creates a safe spot for your kitten to go to if it ever feels overhwelmed by any kids and gives your child a boundary that is easy to understand. It's your kittens private place, bedroom, den, however it should be explained to make sense. But it can prevent problems later on to have a designated spot everyone understands as safe.

Another thing is that given your kittens age you will probably have teething and rough play issues soon. Most young kittens who leave their moms before twelve weeks will. It is cute when they are young but as they get older it can hurt. The easiest way to prevent problems is starting now teach your family that anytime they feel tooth or claw to pretend like it hurts. Cry out, say "ouch" and immediately withdraw attention. Ignore the kitten for ten seconds then go back to whatever was going on. Every single time. Keep wand toys around so your child(ren) can keep hands away from playful kitten paws and kicker/toss toys around. Remember, hands are not toys.

I know this is more then you asked but I like to cover all my bases.
I grew up with cats all my life until I met allergic hubby. But that's been 10 years now. Thanks for the reminder about rough play. The kids are being trained to "yelp" loudly if he gets too rough and hubby and I hiss for unwanted behavior. I will have them start tomorrow with the ignoring.

I can't believe that about the baths but am going to try nasal. If anyhting could hhelp my amazing husband I am all for it. Thank you again!!!

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purrfect. Kit Kat will get good nutrition from the goat's milk. You can use it to water down wet food making it easier to lap up. Little kittens are still getting the hang of the wholeeating thing. You can also give it in just a saucer by itself.

I often joke that I pay more attention to my cats diets then my own. If I gave as much care and focus on my own diet I would probably be a lot better off (diet wise).
Same!! Lol. I feed my kids better than myself and now kitty better than them. Should focus on similar goals for me.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like kit Kat is one very lucky kitten.

Don't forget to introduce yourself over in New Cats on the Block and we love pictures so don't be afraid to overshare the cuteness.
Will do! Do you know how I post pics already taken on my phone? Still figuring the site out. Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I completely forgot, we also have this article on living with cat allergies that may help, Living With Cat Allergy.

I also am allergic to cats, yet live with three. I've noticed that kittens are easier and my tolerance to the specific cat seems to improve while the kitten grows. Usually the first year is the hardest, then it gets better. I do take Flonase daily and keep Benadryl on hand for those trouble moments.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will do! Do you know how I post pics already taken on my phone? Still figuring the site out. Thanks!
Here's the article on uploading photos How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Short answer, hit "upload a file" then select your phones photo folder (for me it's "files" but some vary), select photo and good to go. Just pay attention to size, you want under 5MB. I tend to put the cursor where I want the photo and do "full image" before posting. If you don't your photos will show up as thumbnails at the bottom

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely forgot, we also have this article on living with cat allergies that may help, Living With Cat Allergy.

I also am allergic to cats, yet live with three. I've noticed that kittens are easier and my tolerance to the specific cat seems to improve while the kitten grows. Usually the first year is the hardest, then it gets better. I do take Flonase daily and keep Benadryl on hand for those trouble moments.
This is amazing! I hope the same. Hubby bought Flonase and seems to not be terribly miserable yet. I hope he has a similar experience as you with the kitty growing!

Thanks also for the photo tips. I'll post there tomorrow. Bedtime now. If kitty settles down.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New question... Is it Terri that I am going to confine kit kat tomorrow from about 3-10 pm? We are having our annual Halloween party and it just occurred to me that there would be so many new people and all goING in and out. I don't want him scared or stepped on or worse, getting out. .
I thought it would be fine to close him in our den with his stuff (box, food, toys etc) but I'm having guilt. Any advice?

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh aand here is the spoiled baby "swaddled" for the night. Which is apparently his routine with hubby after he gets off the late shift. :lol:

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
New question... Is it Terri that I am going to confine kit kat tomorrow from about 3-10 pm? We are having our annual Halloween party and it just occurred to me that there would be so many new people and all goING in and out. I don't want him scared or stepped on or worse, getting out. .
I thought it would be fine to close him in our den with his stuff (box, food, toys etc) but I'm having guilt. Any advice?
Don't have any guilt about it. You are right that it will be much better to keep him in a safe room during the party. Maybe once he's older or maybe not. I've done it before too when there was something going on in the rest of the house that I thought would be just too much.

Just make sure you either lock the door or put up a sign to keep guests out of the room. It would probably be good for kit Kat to bring a few select people in during the party, so he meets people and gets a little interaction.