7 Week Old Kitten W/ Diarrhea

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have posted in the past about my older cat. When he was little, i got him at 6 weeks old. within a week of having him, he started having diarrhea and couldn't even make it to the litter box and would end up with it all over himself. After multiple vet visits and no explanation as to why he was having diarrhea, i researched some different foods and found one with a probiotic in it already. The vet had suggested i get one and mix it with his food anyways. That worked almost instantly. Natures Variety Instinct food. I swear by that stuff.

Anyways, 3 years later, i bring home Thor. Another 6 week old kitten. No issues with him at all for the first week. Him and my older cat get along great and hes the sweetest little baby. A week later, I noticed mushy poops/diarrhea. Around the same time as when my older cat had it. I also want to make note that i feed them the same food as i was not told what he was eating before i got him. Again, there were no issues with that. The food is safe for kittens as well and with the probiotic in it, i figured it cant hurt. The only difference is that he is able to make it to the litter box and does not make a mess of himself. I checked his poops as well and there are no worms/parasites that i can see. I am wondering if maybe it is just because both of them were too little and their digestive systems are sensitive at that age...

Any advice/suggestions will help! Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One standing advice is, with much diarrhea they need compensation of salt and electolytes loss.
So either use a bough pedialyte (best is clear flavorless pedialyte for babies) or make one.

Its essentially water, glucose sugar / dextrose (may be honey) and kitchen salt. 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons of honey, a third tea spoon of salt - so you barely feel its sweet and salt, respectively.

Good is to use minerale water containing lotsa of different salts as the salt and water source.
But common kitchen salt is ok to begin with.

Raw goats milk may help too...

You dont always see the intestine parasites with naked eye... So looking closely helps often, but not always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed the diarrhea in the litter box yesterday. With two cats, I had to rule out which was which. I am going to make an appointment for him for the next couple of weeks for his 8 week checkup/shots so I will keep an eye on this diarrhea until then. His behavior hasn't changed at all. He is still super active and playful. I am also going to try and feed them separately so the little one doesn't over eat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What color is the diarrhea? Is it very smelly?

Kittens need worming, and he may have parasites.

If the cats share a litter box, they will both need treating.

A vet visit sooner than later is advised.