7 month old ragdoll male uses litter box but ALWAYS has poop on his butt! Help!

CatMomToRagdolls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 1 yr old male ragdoll and got another recently from the same breeder but at 5 months old. My 1 yr old we got him at 8 weeks old so we bathed him regularly and he learned to love us handling him, he lets us clip his nails and do whatever, he doesnt fight us. Our new kitten, now 7 months old, has an issue with pooping. He uses the litter box but always comes out with poo on his butt, tail and toes so hes tracking it thru the house. He wont let me clip his butt or nails, its a fight and struggle always. I took him to the vet for grooming yesterday. He had a bath, a trim of his butt hair and toes and tail along with nail trim. He lets me brush him but thats it. He looked and smelled so nice. Then last night before bed he had gone poo and his but was caked again. This morning i was able to trim the poo covered hairs off, which was miraculous since he normally runs from me or squirms so much i cant hold him. I dont know what to do. I know hes still a baby, but really need a fix. Its ruining carpets and i am stressed. My husband loves the kitty but is really considering making me give him up and i just cant do that. Any words of advice? Help? I have multiple litter boxes yes and they are cleaned 3 times a day, not too much litter and not too little. Ive had cats my whole life, never dealt with this.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm surprised the sanitary trim didn't help. Our long hair cats sometimes have this happen but if the fur is trimmed back there, it stops.
Could it be related to the consistency of his stools? Normal cat poop should be rather firm and not so sticky as to leave behind debris. If that' the case maybe a food change could be considered to see if that helps?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMomToRagdolls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, i was feeding him a can of wet kitten food in the am and one at night. They have a bowl of hard food accessable during the day. I have thought to take him down to just one can a day with hard food to see. His poo is soft so that is an issue. This little guy eats everything in sight though. Its like he had to fight for food at the breeders so when hes done scarfing his dish, he takes and finishes my other cats food as well. Then he wants our food. Its very strange. My older boy never went thru that. Only eats his own food. I feel like he was mistreated or left to fend for himself alot or something. Hes just over protective of food and even toys. He growls at my other cat if he tries to play with the toy too. He even takes it wherever he goes to hide it so the other cat wont play with it. So sad.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not cut back food. Kittens need as much as they will eat.
It isn't the wet food per se, but the quality of food. Wet food is always preferable over dry.
I really don't think it has anything to do with how the breeder treated him and if a good, reputable breeder that should not be of any concern (though I question that since your first one came home WAY too early). Some cats are just not as easy going as others regardless of how they were raised.
Have you tried using a puzzle feeder to slow him down? That may help what appears to be food insecurity but does not address the sanitary problem.
Was he checked for worms and all other parasites?
Maybe it's the type of litter being used or the box itself doesn't leave enough room for him to eliminate properly? Or, the box is in an area that is not quiet enough and he's getting spooked and running out before fully eliminating?

CatMomToRagdolls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, i just bought a new extra large litter box to give him more space. All the litter boxes are in the basement. I give him purina one kitten soft food when he eats. The breeder never gave me his paperwork the day she brought him to me but mailed his vet papers stating he had all his shots but have t had him health checked since she took him. He is very healthy looking, he plays wonderfully, hes so energetic. I will be taking him for his neuter next month and to get any other shots he made need. Vet told me its just some cats are like toddlers sometimes they dont want to do what you want them to do so like a bratty phase. Said he will grow out of it. But i dont want to keep cleaning up carpet messes. Just so frustrating. I appreciate your help and insight very much

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok so a few things are jumping out at me and sorry if I sound snippy here just too much for me to pass over.

First, do I understand you right that you have not yet brought him to be established with your vet after having him for 2 months? All cats especially kittens should be brought in within a couple of days of coming home to be sure they are healthy and if not, can be taken care of before anything gets worse. It is usually also part of your contract with a breeder.

Second the breeder does not sound very good which would concern me even more about his health. Healthy looking does not mean overall health. When I got my purebred Maine Coon at 16 weeks old, we found out she had coccidia even though she wasn't showing symptoms - so of course, we had her treated. Yours may need deworming for one thing and parasites could contribute to his poo issues.

Why is the breeder holding back his papers? Is it to wait for him to be neutered or she just hasn't for some other reason? This sounds suspicious to me. Did he have initial vaccinations? By 4 months old they should have had all initial core vaccines. Can you call the prior vet to speak to someone about his past records? I assume the name of the vet is on the document. All this combined with your suspicions that maybe he was not raised right point to needing to have him vetted sooner than later.

Last, cats don't have bratty phases. They are not human. You have to work with them to establish boundaries.

I am frankly surprised your vet has not mentioned testing him now instead of waiting for his neuter. If it were me, I'd push the issue and have him brought in for a look. Better to find out sooner than later if there's a medical reason for the soft stools which could be resolved.

CatMomToRagdolls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called my vet, i am taking him in on monday. Forgive me, i didnt know to take him that soon and shame on me i guess for not thinking it. I have tried to contact the breeder again and she simply just doesn't respond or takes weeks to get back with me. I will see what the vet says and keep you posted. Thank you for all this.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I called my vet, i am taking him in on monday. Forgive me, i didnt know to take him that soon and shame on me i guess for not thinking it. I have tried to contact the breeder again and she simply just doesn't respond or takes weeks to get back with me. I will see what the vet says and keep you posted. Thank you for all this.
I'm happy you didn't take what I wrote wrong. I'm not good at sugar coating my opinions.

Even happier to see you took them to heart and will bring him next week (does not sound like anything that needs immediate attention). It could even be an allergy to the food he's eating and by making a switch, could resolve it fairly quickly but of course, only your vet is qualified to figure this out. I do hope it's something that can be taken care of easily.

I also wanted to mention that not all Ragdolls live up to their reputation of being easy going. The only one I've met in person was a rather testy cat and that's being nice about it! Cats all have their unique personalities and some are just a bit more "extra" :lol: I know, I have one of those LOL

Would love to see photos and what is their names?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i just bought a new extra large litter box to give him more space. All the litter boxes are in the basement. I give him purina one kitten soft food when he eats. The breeder never gave me his paperwork the day she brought him to me but mailed his vet papers stating he had all his shots but have t had him health checked since she took him. He is very healthy looking, he plays wonderfully, hes so energetic. I will be taking him for his neuter next month and to get any other shots he made need. Vet told me its just some cats are like toddlers sometimes they dont want to do what you want them to do so like a bratty phase. Said he will grow out of it. But i dont want to keep cleaning up carpet messes. Just so frustrating. I appreciate your help and insight very much
It's not unusual that the Breeder will Withhold Pedigree papers Until the Cat is neutered Or spayed. What is peculiar is the situation that I faced upon receiving my two boys as kittens from the Breeder . Mine arrived already neutered . The Breeder contract stipulated that if I signed it and relinquished either Cat by giving it away or selling it. That I could be sued in Court. So I didn't Sign the contract for the Pedigree Papers.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the trim wasn't a solution (it usually is), the issue is in the food. Kittens are very sensitive to what they eat. Ideally you should continue the same diet that they received from the breeder until around 12 months.

photos please! I love ragdolls :)