7 Month Old Kitten With Weak Hind Legs

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 4 months ago, an adorable male kitten forced his way into our lives and we fell in love. He is very rambunctious and active.

Yesterday we noticed that he was walking funny, and seems like an issue with his hind legs or hips, or maybe lower back. He does not seem to be in pain, and still chases around our other cat, and plays, and jumps on cat trees, but the weakness in this hind legs is very evident while doing all of those, he slips and falls every now and then, or walks/runs funny.

The only other thing we've noticed, is that for a couple weeks, his meow has been hoarse or silent when he tries to meow sometimes.

He is neutered and has all of his shots. We are a bit worried but don't want to jump the gun and spend hundreds at the vet that we don't have if it may just be a sprain or something like that.

I tried to take an upload a video to give an idea of what I'm talking about, but i guess that's not possible here?

Any ideas what it may be? Anything in particular to look out for or try?

Thanks so much! I really really appreciate any help or comments.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you upload the video to Youtube and share the link to it with your vet? I do that all the time with my vet instead of scheduling an appointment for something minor or just a concern. Your vet will probably want to see the cat in person and do a more thorough exam after seeing the video. Weakness in legs is not normal and could indicate an underlying medical issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats a great idea that i hadn't thought of, thank you!! I actually may do that! I actually ended up taking my cat to the vet, and he is treating him for a sore throat but didn't see anything strange with him otherwise, thought it was possible maybe the sore throat was affecting his balance.

However, i've been giving him antibiotics perscribed by the vet, and doesn't seem to be getting better...so i did a little research, and from youtube videos, it looks a lot like he could have a very mild case of cerebellar hypoplasia from the way he walks...my question is, could the symptoms of the unbalanced hind legs appear relatively out of nowhere? I have always noticed that he falls off of the cat trees and stuff much more than my other cat ever did, but i'm pretty certain the hind leg lack of balance seems to have gotten noticeable in the past week or so...could that still be cerbebellar hypoplasia? Or what else should i maybe research that looks similar to what a mild ccase would of that would look like that would show up all of a sudden?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For reference, his walk is quite similar to these cats...maybe slightly less evident, but very similar.

But it has come on at least much more noticeably, in the past week.

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any opinions? I'm getting pretty nervous, we just dealt with a hurricane where I'm at, and vet is still closed. No improvement in the wobble and lack of balance yet.