7 month old kitten still nursing???

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I have a question for you. Annie, who is almost 7 months old has been nursing lately. I can't seem to get her to stop. It's just been recently, though. She had stopped nursing for a long time, because CJ used to not let her nurse, but now CJ lays down for her to nurse, and when I shoo Annie away from CJ, CJ follows, and lays down to nurse again. This all started when Belle died. Do you think CJ is mourning, and that's why she's letting Annie nurse?

Thanks!

Cassie

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie, I'd be surprised if CJ is actually producing any milk and it's more her way of comforting Annie. It does sound like the new behaviour was caused by Belle's death, so I would leave them be and, in time, either CJ will get sick of it and kick Annie off or Annie won't need to 'comfort suckle' any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Cassie, I'd be surprised if CJ is actually producing any milk and it's more her way of comforting Annie. It does sound like the new behaviour was caused by Belle's death, so I would leave them be and, in time, either CJ will get sick of it and kick Annie off or Annie won't need to 'comfort suckle' any more.
Okay... thanks.

tobysis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Princess still lets Muffin nurse at the age of 7 years. I too had concerns when weaning time never came. I asked my vets and they said it should not be a problem and so it far it as not been (other than that they both purr LOUDLY).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay... I heard that it could cause problems like mammary cancer, so, that was my only concern.... I guess she needs it.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem very sweet that they are able to mourn together in a way that is comforting to both of them.