7 Month Old Cat With Soft Stool

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I have a 7 month old flame point Siamese mix named Ruby. We recently travelled home (four hour car ride) and back for the holidays. Upon returning to our apartment, I noticed that Ruby is having soft, mushy stool that is very smelly. This has been going on for about five days, with no other symptoms. She is eating well, drinking lots, EXTREMELY active and playful. She’s going about three times a day. This morning she had a semi solid stool, but then a tiny quarter sized soft stool moments later.

While at home she did eat different food, and she REALLY didn’t like the car. She was perfectly happy while at my parents, but hated the travel.

Could it be the stress, combined with the change in food and water? Is there anything I can do to help her? She’s otherwise healthy and happy, I’ve callef the vet and they didn’t seem too concerned. How long should I expect this to last if it is stress related?

Thanks for any and all help!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I could definitely be the stress and food change. One thing that seems to really help my guys when they have a soft poop issue is FortiFlora. Or sometimes just plan yogurt will help. Both have probiotics in them. FortiFlora is specifically for animals though. I always keep a box handy because it also makes an excellent food topper for those days when they are being picky. You might be able to pick some up at a big box pet food store...not sure in Canada.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did a bit of digging. I didn't come up with an actual store, but there are any number of sources to order FortiFlora online in Canada. I googled "Fortiflora for cats Canada."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies. I will order some Fortiflora to have on hand. I’ve mixed some can pumpkin with her food and it seems to have helped a bit, the stool has a bit more shape to it than before. She went about 8 hours without a movement, which is the longest she’s gone for about four days now. She had a semi formed stool, then returned to the box and had another tiny tiny movement, like dime sized of the pudding like poo she’s been having. She’s currently running around and playing. She literally has no other symptoms and the vet I called didn’t seemed worried so I’m trying not to worry myself.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. So long as she's eating and drinking normally, and acting like someone fed her rocket fuel, she's probably just adjusting to the changes and will be fine!

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the advice and reassurance. Little update: Pumpkin seems to be helping a lot (Ruby also LOVES it), she’s having slightly more formed stools now (they’re still soft, and usually end up in a little swirl, but that’s much better then the goop we were dealing with before), and she is still acting like her crazy little self!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
AWWW! What a little beauty she is! I'm so glad that she is feeling more the thing, and pooping more the thing, as well!

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh, just went to the litter box and had a pure liquid stool. Got it on her bum and everything. I know it can’t be a blockage, she’s eating, drinking etc. I have no idea how she’d get worms and I’ve inspected her poop, there’s nothing in it. I’ve started her on a probiotic so fingers crossed. If not we’ll be off to the vet. I mean, it has to be related to the travel as it started when we returned. It’s been over a week though, should she be better?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So she's worse now than before? Doesn't seem right. You started her on the FortiFlora? If anything, that should help :sigh:. Do your parents have cats too? Are they sick or have they been having diarrhea also? I'm just wondering if it's possible she picked up something from them :dunno:.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with you, P princesskiki . Since all of the obvious culprits seem not to be the issue, a trip to the vet is not amiss, one little bit. In most cases, I'd think a week would be enough time for any stress-related tummy issues to have resolved. And, when it comes to our kitties, better safe than sorry!

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick replies. In the middle of a winter storm, but I’m going to call tomorrow to book an appt with the vet. She is FINE except for the soft stool. She is her energetic self! Just started fortiflora last night though! And he stool was SLGHTLY better this AM!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gotcha. I have 3-4 inches on the ground here, and in Coastal North Carolina, that is a blizzard!

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick replies. In the middle of a winter storm, but I’m going to call tomorrow to book an appt with the vet. She is FINE except for the soft stool. She is her energetic self! Just started fortiflora last night though! And he stool was SLGHTLY better this AM!
Also should mention everyone at Mom and Dads is healthy, all vacced and dewormed as well. I’m really thinking it’s food related at this point.

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
100 km/h winds and two hyperactive cats. Someone save me! LOL

No mushy poos in the litter since I left this morning. I really think this is food related. At my parents, the cats eat very cheap dry cat food. It's the same thing she ate when we lived there, and since moving out (in September), she's been eating a different type of food (admittedly, just Friskies, but better than the no name stuff), and about 70% wet now that we're on our own. I think the change from old food, to Friskies and more wet, PLUS the travel, the absence of my roommate for the first two days we returned, and etc. was a bit much. Started the FortiFlora last night, so I will see if that makes a difference. I think I overwhelmed her poor little immune system.

She has had soft stool in the past, so I'm wondering if she has a sensitive tummy. I'm going to try a dry food formulated for sensitive tummies as well, with a slow introduction of course.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she changed foods twice (regular, parent's house, back to regular) in a fairly short time, I'm almost willing to bet that's the culprit. Let me know how the new food works, too!

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I’m convinced it’s the food and all the changes and I overwhelmed her little system. She had one almost completely solid stool today, and then a cow pie with a solid piece at the end. I think the probiotics are helping. Also, I remembered today that she has always had sort of stinky poo, and that as a baby she had to be taken off kitten food as it seemed to bother her tummy. I think my poor little lady has a sensitive tummy.

Doesn’t help that she will eat ANYTHING in sight.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Expensive raw freeze dry food and pumpkin pure paste solved the diarrhea problems with my two kitties, but you have to wean them into it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are lots of "sensitive tummy" diets out there for cats. If you decide to try that, go with the best one that your budget will tolerate. At least she isnt' finicky. One very wise member here once told me, "The best cat food is the one that your cat will actually eat!"