7 month old cat peeing on clothes and towels

mike37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 Maine coon kittens about 7 months old. One of them keeps peeing on bath mats, my clothes, towels, and anything else that's on the floor and soft. What's going on? They share a large litter box. Have since day 1 cuz they're brothers. Any suggestions?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
First, I would have him checked out by your vet to rule out a UTI or urine crystals. If he checks out medically ok, try adding a second litter box. He may be ready for his own, regardless of the fact he has always shared.

My youngest female decided at 1.5 yrs old that she wanted her own. She now has her very own "litter box" that only she can fit in...a tidy cat litter tub LoL! She is small (7.5 lbs) and is the only one that can fit (my other cats are quite larger at 10.5 to 17.5 lbs.) Not the solution for most; but, they can decide they no longer want to share even after some time has past. (Note, I have a total of 5 extra large litter boxes.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, it's so weird because he'll pee on a towel right outside the litter box. They're fixed too. I'm gona get him his own box and see how that changes things. He's a very loveable cat. Just a big wuss

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats like to pee on soft things. Sometimes a declawed cat will want something soft to pee on.  I say this in the nicest possible way, but consider picking up all the clothes and towels off the floor?

What kind of litter are you using?  You might try a very fine grained (softer) type of clay.

And this link has lots of info, http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh I had this fun drama with my tabby when in May she decided, nope, I'm only going to use the litterbox 95% of the time.

I had to add another box because she was protesting the covered one AND acting out because my big cat was picking on her. She was acting more skittish than normal and like she always felt she was in trouble and then would decide at 6am right before I got up to pee on the rug in the bathroom (Or my clothes).

I also had success with a pheromone disperser

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely the 1st step should be to have your kitty checked by the vet for a UTI, which is a common cause for them to go outside the litterbox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just peed again. This time on a pillow....when there are two litterboxes he can go to. Idk wat to do. I took him to the vet in December and they said he had no issues. He's also go this weird thing goin on where he cleans himself quite....vigorously down there if u know wat I mean.?

animals77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten will pee on anything that crinkles. Plastic bags, packing peanuts, wrapping paper, paper bags. He's 6 months old. and fixed. so strange. I just keep that stuff up off the floor away from his reach. The only thing I can think of is that maybe at the rescue center he was at they used bags or something like that in his litter pan. 

I have this cat repellant spray by Natures Miracle. Maybe you can try spraying that on your pillows, to keep your kitty away from them. and just keep your towels and soft things off the floor to reduce the stress for yourself.  Good luck!